British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   the Scottish independence issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/scottish-independence-issue-817782/)

holly_1948 Jul 28th 2014 4:31 pm

Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by smithy76 (Post 11349523)
A state in the usa is not synonymous with the use of the word as in meaning country or nation. Like i said, oranges and tangelos...interesting to ponder over the similarities perhaps but in the end, can't be called the same so no real conclusion from one can apply to the other.

It certainly is.
In American law, all powers, all powers, belong to the many states except those specifically enumerated in the Federal Constitution as belonging to the Feds.

Basically, everything that does not involve collecting or spending money or foreign policy belongs to the State.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 28th 2014 4:36 pm

Theoretically.

Practice is different.

Pulaski Jul 28th 2014 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11350362)
It certainly is.
In American law, all powers, all powers, belong to the many states except those specifically enumerated in the Federal Constitution as belonging to the Feds.

Basically, everything that does not involve collecting or spending money or foreign policy belongs to the State.

Bizarrely, including extradition of suspected criminals, which is where foreign governments are left scratching their heads when the Secretary of State says one thing and state-level courts rule something contradictory.

neilcumming Jul 29th 2014 2:51 pm

The oils running out ! Really ?Never heard so much BS.Tale of Two Governments on fracking | Scottish National Party

robin1234 Jul 29th 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11351362)
The oils running out ! Really ?Never heard so much BS.Tale of Two Governments on fracking | Scottish National Party

I read this link. Don't see how it relates to your comment. ("The oils running out!" [SIC])

neilcumming Jul 29th 2014 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11351386)
I read this link. Don't see how it relates to your comment. ("The oils running out!" [SIC])

Ok forgot a wee ' , the oil's running out ,its called sarcasm :p

Pulaski Jul 29th 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11351491)
Ok forgot a wee ' , the oil's running out ,its called sarcasm :p

As, presumably, was:

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11347538)
.... .Scotland the sick man of Europe for decades thanks to successive UK governments. ....

:rofl:

holly_1948 Aug 11th 2014 2:52 am

So, as we get closer, is there any more indication as to which way it goes?

And if Scotland does go for independence then how long before Scotland leaves the EU and problems like this go away:

url=http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28715643

BBC News - Scottish fish stuck in port amid Russia sanctions

10 August 2014 Last updated at 00:08 BST

Russia has imposed an almost total ban on food imports from the European Union, the United States and several other Western countries, in retaliation for sanctions on Moscow ...
Ukraine, pah!, Scotland has no dog in that fight, should be free to sell fish without being caught up in EU scuffles. Like Faeroe islands.

Pulaski Aug 11th 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11364847)
So, as we get closer, is there any more indication as to which way it goes?

The last report I read a couple of weeks ago, the notable trend/ change is that the "no" vote is drifting upwards and becoming more firm.

And if Scotland does go for independence then how long before Scotland leaves the EU and problems like this go away: .
By all accounts, as already discussed in this thread, if Scotland claims independence then it will automatically leave the EU and the Scots would have to negotiate to reenter (if they wanted to).

dunroving Aug 11th 2014 12:34 pm

Did they show the Salmond vs. Darling debate in the US?

Salmond came out looking like a right prat.

WEBlue Aug 11th 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11365293)
Did they show the Salmond vs. Darling debate in the US?

Salmond came out looking like a right prat.

I've read some of it and seen a few Youtube clips. Salmond didn't do the 'Yes" folks any favours. :lol:

Pulaski Aug 11th 2014 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11365293)
.... Salmond came out looking like a right prat.

Really? I find that very hard to imagine! :rolleyes:

dunroving Aug 11th 2014 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11365317)
Really? I find that very hard to imagine! :rolleyes:

Well, usually he avoids looking too much of a prat by making his questioner look like a prat. He usually achieves this by talking to them as if they were stupid/a piece of crap on the bottom of his shoe/an imbecile (delete as appropriate). This is seen as "acceptable" when the questioner is another politician or a member of the media.

On this occasion, the audience got to simply make comments and some of them really laid into him. Of course, (a) he couldn't respond and (b) if he tried to respond, he couldn't use his usual tactic because each member of the audience is a representative of the great voting public.

It was very entertaining seeing him have to stand there and take it without being allowed to dish it out. :thumbsup:

scot47 Aug 11th 2014 7:57 pm

How will the new Dr Who vote ? They have asked every other celebrity - even the son-in-law of the Duke of Westminster !

neilcumming Aug 13th 2014 4:06 pm

I thought Darling had Salmond on the ropes for abit over the currency but Salmond won it on pts for me with he dialogue with the audience .Darling was like a headless chicken at times ,hysterical almost.
Some clarity on the currency union from the man in the know Mark Carney ,the governor.
Finance Secretary welcomes Carney comments | Scottish National Party