scared to death

Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:44 am
Just Joined

vincec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default scared to death

I moved to Malta when i was 16, not really a predetermined choice,, rather i was left to my on devices..

I built a life, started my own family and my own business.... In the last 6 months both have fallen into disaster.

I have always considered returuning to the uk and now is going to be the time to do it, but to be honest i am petrified. I have looked around on the web and also contacted the local consulate (which is now not at all local, based in France) and to be quite frank.

Fo those of you who have returned or are thinking of doing so could you send me some pointers.. thanks
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: scared to death

Originally Posted by vincec
I moved to Malta when i was 16, not really a predetermined choice,, rather i was left to my on devices..

I built a life, started my own family and my own business.... In the last 6 months both have fallen into disaster.

I have always considered returuning to the uk and now is going to be the time to do it, but to be honest i am petrified. I have looked around on the web and also contacted the local consulate (which is now not at all local, based in France) and to be quite frank.

Fo those of you who have returned or are thinking of doing so could you send me some pointers.. thanks
sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes. i dont know the details obviously but i wish you the best. i lived for 15 years in the USA working for my parents business. it went bust because of family illness and i had to return to the UK. i have found that my lack of verifiable references (as i worked for my parents) has really hurt my ability to find a well paying job.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:21 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

I think you need to give us a few more details before we can offer some practical support vincec - example - do you have a British passport? What line of work would you be looking for? Do you have any family or friends who could offer some temporary assistance while you sort things out?

Being scared is natural of course - getting past the fear needs some practical planning and there are many people on here who can help you with that!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

vincec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks for the replies... i apologise as i was over Emotional in my post...

yes i have an english passport. I have to wrap up the bits and pieces i have here which as an estimation will take appoximately 3 months. It seems a bit of a challange, but am determined to get sorted.

To be honest am a little Overwhelmed to what i actually need to do to get sorted... i guess the most important is too look for a job.

How do you decide where to go? ok i worked up north for a year or so, but am origionally from the south. Also the vastness seems a little intimidating after living on an island 19 x 5 miles

I am also sorry to hear about your misfortune bob, are you living in the uk now ? how are you finding it ?

thanks once again..
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:11 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Hey thanks for the replies... i apologise as i was over Emotional in my post...

yes i have an english passport. I have to wrap up the bits and pieces i have here which as an estimation will take appoximately 3 months. It seems a bit of a challange, but am determined to get sorted.

To be honest am a little Overwhelmed to what i actually need to do to get sorted... i guess the most important is too look for a job.

How do you decide where to go? ok i worked up north for a year or so, but am origionally from the south. Also the vastness seems a little intimidating after living on an island 19 x 5 miles

I am also sorry to hear about your misfortune bob, are you living in the uk now ? how are you finding it ?

thanks once again..
One way to go might be to contact job agencies who deal with recruitment for hotel staff. Some offer accommodation I understand and though not ideal - would at least give you a job, an income and a roof over your head at least while you get on your feet.

If you decide to go down this route then you can give yourself a year or so to take time to visit other areas of the UK and get a feel for where you would be happiest long term.

You're overwhelmed - but determined to make things work and with your business background and customer care skills I imagine you'd be snapped up in no time!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

buster48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes. i dont know the details obviously but i wish you the best. i lived for 15 years in the USA working for my parents business. it went bust because of family illness and i had to return to the UK. i have found that my lack of verifiable references (as i worked for my parents) has really hurt my ability to find a well paying job.
When ive been in this situation i,ve allways said i was self employed or ran my own buisness and employers usually take that at face value