Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

To save one British soldier...

To save one British soldier...

Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To save one British soldier...

Originally Posted by made of kent
I felt bad hijacking this thread, but my brother is a chef (not a chief) as a previously quoted ( I am a dyslexic arse of the best variety) but even chefs have to be soldiers, so he gos on excersice, a lot he also goes into war situations a lot more than the fighting troops as it where, as in the 80's master plan or what! Thatcher decided to privitise army food! so the catering corps went!
so the Army lacks chefs, they get send away a lot, this has been the longest I have ever known for him to be in England 18 months now in 19 years, but he has many excerises aboard in that time.
he has to do guard duty, be a soldier, as well as his normal duties, but and here the huge enormous but!
the Americans have less chefs than we do, in Iraq both post he ended up working for the Americans eventually, but he really liked it and had nothing but admiration for then....but he said "its all guns or nothing, they really are gun ho" he explained that the UK army are weapons trained but also culture trained, the US wheren't in the early days, but are now doing this apparently, after his most recent posting.
and let not forget that Americans will have a worst time in Iraq due to previous presidents medaling in the Cold war, the British was a more benign overseer!
So BIG THUMBS UP to the Americans saving one of our sons
It is all in day's work for these young heroes.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 6:23 pm
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
It is all in day's work for these young heroes.
you are not kiding, my brother will never get over the day in Bosnia when he sat drinking with a logists bloke that he knew well, and he seemed really happy after a few months of being sad, my brother got up in the morning and staggered his way to work.
an hour later where's BOB! say! I will not give the name, they all start looking and Bob is dead, he killed himself.
my Brother said what shocked him was when the report came back his friend had been dead for hours, before he past the lorry.
And searching for Bob that how they found him, the entire front window of the truck was covered in blood, so he had staggered past and not noticed the blood.
I tried to tell him as a nurse that suicidal people will be happy just before they take their own lives, but I am not sure he realises this is true or he is angry that he could of saved a friend if he had known?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Really enjoyed reaing this story,thank you so much for posting it!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
you are not kiding, my brother will never get over the day in Bosnia when he sat drinking with a logists bloke that he knew well, and he seemed really happy after a few months of being sad, my brother got up in the morning and staggered his way to work.
an hour later where's BOB! say! I will not give the name, they all start looking and Bob is dead, he killed himself.
my Brother said what shocked him was when the report came back his friend had been dead for hours, before he past the lorry.
And searching for Bob that how they found him, the entire front window of the truck was covered in blood, so he had staggered past and not noticed the blood.
I tried to tell him as a nurse that suicidal people will be happy just before they take their own lives, but I am not sure he realises this is true or he is angry that he could of saved a friend if he had known?
'Survivor guilt' is what it is sometimes called and it takes time, patience and understanding by friends and extended family, for the veteran to get over it.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Another good post today about a patrol with 2 Rifles. Took place a week or so ago but reading it is still pretty tense. Great photos, even from when they were ambushed.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/precision-voting.htm
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:05 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about the original link on ARRSE and am now a big fan of Yon's work, although I'm sure it won't be fully appreciated until many years from now.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:49 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I heard about the original link on ARRSE and am now a big fan of Yon's work, although I'm sure it won't be fully appreciated until many years from now.
I fear a lot of things about about these wars will never be appreciated by some.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:56 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Another good post today about a patrol with 2 Rifles. Took place a week or so ago but reading it is still pretty tense. Great photos, even from when they were ambushed.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/precision-voting.htm
Only 2 platoons to hold down that entire area? Their skill and courage astounds me more everyday.