Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Samsung Galaxy Note or MS Surface Pro?

Samsung Galaxy Note or MS Surface Pro?

Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Samsung Galaxy Note or MS Surface Pro?

Anyone got either one?

I want to replace my laptop - this will be used mainly for business and I do take it home with me and there is no Wi-Fi so I need a place for a USB.

I like the separate keyboard on the Surface but I could make do with the virtual on the Galaxy.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 5th 2013, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Note or MS Surface Pro?

Neither tablet comes with a keyboard! The case/keyboard on the Surface is an extra.

Having said that, the Galaxy will work with a BlueTooth keyboard just as well as the Surface.

I'm a die-hard Android fan and if it was for personal use, I would unhesitatingly suggest the Galaxy, but with work being a major consideration, I'd go with the Surface. The reason being that it'll run Microsoft Office without having to mess with compatibility or other issues.

Both will be a learning curve if you're not used to them, but the Surface will also be ahead when it comes to connecting (physically or virtually) with other Windows PCs.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks.

Do you have the Galaxy phone? I'm thinking of switching my iphone to the Galaxy.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Galaxy Nexus, but I know the S4 gets rave reviews. Also the new Moto X is very highly rated.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking of getting the phone, it does play very nicely with the tablet. I've got the Tab2 and rather like it and what I've played of the Note, it's even nicer.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:15 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the Galaxy Note 3 phone and it's easily the best phone I've had but it makes tablets totally worthless to me. Anything I can't do on my phone I wouldn't be able to do on a tablet so I whip out my laptop instead.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

My colleague advises the surface Pro 2, not the lower models; I forget why right now. Despite being bulky for a tablet, he liked the way it ran windows apps without issue. I'll probably be getting one for myself so I can better understand the product.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet in Sept - this is the 8" tablet that comes with a stylus that slides into the case nicely (and that I left behind in a restaurant within a week of buying!). The note taking feature (handwriting capture) is very good, and it does a half decent job of handwriting recognition too. A friend currently uses an iPad with stylus for notes, and is now cutting over to the Samsung because of the superior stylus integration.

I find tablets (be they iPad or Android) to be impractical due to lack of readily available keyboard. I bought a MacBook Air in Oct just for the sheer heck of it, and while I don't care too much for the UI (way over-hyped), it is an engineering marvel and I take it everywhere. I'm running windows on it mainly (thanks to VMWare fusion) but do use the native IOS environment for basic browsing, email, etc.

ETA - I have tried external bluetooth keyboards on both the iPad and the Samsungs; They DO let you type conveniently in text fields (of course) but - they don't work well for anything else - even basic stuff like tabbing between fields, escaping out of a dialog, trying to do a 'page down' or 'end' on a web page, etc. The iPad was really awful in this regard.

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 6th 2013 at 12:41 am.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I like Windows 8/8.1 an Windows Phone 8 and from a pure speed, UI and stability standpoint would recommend them so out of your choices I would recommend the Surface. If you go for the original it does have downsides which can easily be researched but with the Surface 2 line being so new and it behind silly season, you can get some great deals on the Surface. Also check out the Microsoft 12 days of Christmas, you might get lucky.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 2:45 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We've just test run a couple of the Surface Pros and are really impressed (in a business context) and will probably deploy these. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 and it's a great machine but does fall down a little in terms of connectivity (the mail software connecting to an Exchange server is horrible!).
Old Dec 6th 2013, 4:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

We have Surface Pros and also Surface RTs in use here.

The RT is good for what we use it for (Student labwork/Internet access mainly), but limited in what software it can run and quite likely a dead end technology.

The Pro is pretty damn good as a business machine and will handle pretty much anything a regular laptop does. They are heavier though, and thicker. They also run a little hotter so there is a cooling fan that makes it less-than-silent (but not bad).
Windows 8 is still awful (imo) but at least it makes some sort of sense on the Surface, unlike on the desktop.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok, well I think the Surface Pro 2 it is then.

I DESPISE the ipad. And my iphone is getting on my nerves too. Everyone I speak to LOVES the bloody I's.

And - OMG - Windows 8 - I got a new home computer several months ago and I still hate it. WHY do they have to mess with a good thing. I have had all out tantrums with my computer because of this.

I've been told that the update has addressed some issues but I do not believe it.

Ok, must be a sign - just clicked that link and you get $100 off for the Surface Pro.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Windows 8 is still awful (imo) but at least it makes some sort of sense on the Surface, unlike on the desktop.
Originally Posted by toopie28
And - OMG - Windows 8 - I got a new home computer several months ago and I still hate it. WHY do they have to mess with a good thing. I have had all out tantrums with my computer because of this.
Plenty of decent laptops being sold out there with Windows 7 pro on them, such as Thinkpads.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Plenty of decent laptops being sold out there with Windows 7 pro on them, such as Thinkpads.
Yep. Interesting figures floating around showing that Win7 actually outsold Win8 last month. That must be annoying.

Failing that, install something like "Start8". Get all the new under-the-hood improvements with the interface MS wishes it had kept.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
http://www.classicshell.net/

I use Classic Shell, because it's free.

It even had the Windows logo on the start bar, until they got a cease and desist notice and had to remove it in the last update.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yep. Interesting figures floating around showing that Win7 actually outsold Win8 last month. That must be annoying.
I rebuilt a computer recently (had been toying with mythbuntu on it) bought an OEM system builder copy of Win7 pro. Can't remember how much it was, something like $150.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.