Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City - inconvenience stores

Salt Lake City - inconvenience stores

Old Dec 18th 2018, 5:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salt Lake City - inconvenience stores

We took a quick jaunt out to see a new "immersive theme park" called Evermore, which has been billed as the future of theme parks; Disney, take note!

So it's in Pleasant Grove, SLC. We wanted to take some wine with us to enhance the, uh, immersion.
After going through security, and getting inside, a kindly man giving out fudge told us there's no alcohol on-site, but there's a liquor store across the road.
Across the road meaning a half mile, and having to navigate across roads with no side-walks and cars screaming by.

So we get to the store; The State Wine and Liquor store. I remember seeing such idiocy in Pennslyvania. It's a warehouse where most of the place is off limits.
There's no refrigeration at all; damn you if you want to purchase something to consume in the immediate future. It's so childish. It's designed to be as inconvenient as possible.

Our Uber driver; we have so much going on here! (Points out all the tech companies. I point out all the MLM HQs) When are you moving to Utah?
Me: Pretty sure it's safe to say, never.

It's just a quirky place. Just a bit rustic/backwards. Although nowhere near as vile, evil, corrupt, liberty hating and unconstitutional as America's Mordor: New Jersey and New York. (Shudder)
Why do I get spammed from tech companies in NJ or NY? No amount of money could get me to live in either place. In fact, toss in Chicago. Or any Dem held area. I'd go back to the UK before ever living in any of them.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Dec 18th 2018 at 5:58 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:01 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salt Lake City - inconvenience stores

Did I stumble into TIO by accident?
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:15 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

No. I will leave the shameful politics of NY and NJ making a million people overnight felons with illegal and unconstitutional ex post facto laws to TIO.

One thing I did notice was Mormons will really check you out. We were stared at at the airport by just about 50% of the people.
We were dressed as Amelia Earhart (with flight hat, goggles, flying jacket, jodhpurs, boots etc) and I was a dressed as a tramp steamer captain (U-boat captain's hat, RAF sweater, leather jacket, pipe etc.) Explorers sucked into the Evermore portal. Anyway, even without the hats, man, Mormons really do stare and don't hide it.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

The main Disney Park doesn’t allow booze (though I have not tried smuggling it in) - the others happily sell it. This is in Florida, anyway. I quite enjoyed drinking my way around Epcot.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:19 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Do you want to move to Florida as a result of your trip to SLC? There are a few posts we could link you to.......
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:41 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
The main Disney Park doesn’t allow booze (though I have not tried smuggling it in) - the others happily sell it. This is in Florida, anyway. I quite enjoyed drinking my way around Epcot.
Trust me, Disney doesn't have anything to worry about yet regarding Evermore. It's very raw and half finished. They should've grown more slowly, and in a manageable, controlled fashion.
We've smuggled spirits into Magic Kingdom. Our method is to put it into those fake plastic sun screen bottles. Then place them the rear of the your pants or in the front near the crotch.
They won't touch you. We've white-knuckled it a few times with glass bottles chinking. My wife taught me - just act like you belong, and walk around the security and ignore (you didn't hear them). We just checked out a new potential venue this weekend for an event my wife puts on - we didn't have security badges or credentials. Just dress nicely. Act like you belong. We explored the place and decided it wasn't suitable for us.

No doubt we'll get caught eventually. I don't think they'll eject you from the park.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:48 pm
Peace onion

Do you want to move to Florida as a result of your trip to SLC? There are a few posts we could link you to.......
I like to visit Florida. There are lots of fun things to and see. Some of the drivers there are terrifying though.
On our most recent trip, we rented a boat and tooled around on that. Snorkeled etc. It was very nice.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 6:51 pm
Peace onion

First trip to Epcot was 94. Since then, it's got old and tired. Like what they'd imagine the future to look like when envisioned from 1974.
Was blown away by the fireworks, though.
And yes, it's fun to drink your way around Epcot.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Only ever stopped in SLC for a bathroom break and to gas up. The only thing I can say is it's bloody expensive! I did spend a night in Murray, UT once when driving my old car back from CA.

At least we finally have full strength beer coming to grocery stores Jan 1st 2019. Go CO...
Old Dec 18th 2018, 9:49 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by BenK91
Only ever stopped in SLC for a bathroom break and to gas up. The only thing I can say is it's bloody expensive! I did spend a night in Murray, UT once when driving my old car back from CA.

At least we finally have full strength beer coming to grocery stores Jan 1st 2019. Go CO...
We do!? Yay, Sierra Nevada for everybody!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We do!? Yay, Sierra Nevada for everybody!
Yes Sir. Expect to see many Patagonia jackets and crates of Blue Moon rolling out of a grocery store near you soon.

Denver Post Beer Thingy
Old Dec 18th 2018, 11:05 pm
Peace onion

Every time I pop into Whole Foods, there she is. Blonde ponytail through baseball cap. Black yoga pants. Patagonia jacket. Usually facing away. Sometimes she's a teen-ish. Sometimes in her 50s. It's always the same. Yoga Barbies everywhere.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Every time I pop into Whole Foods, there she is. Blonde ponytail through baseball cap. Black yoga pants. Patagonia jacket. Usually facing away. Sometimes she's a teen-ish. Sometimes in her 50s. It's always the same. Yoga Barbies everywhere.
Nail on the head.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Yes Sir. Expect to see many Patagonia jackets and crates of Blue Moon rolling out of a grocery store near you soon.

Denver Post Beer Thingy
Wow... CO of all places had a restriction. Even bud light is higher than 3.2 in NC.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the nasally, whiny voice..........................and a conversation laden with 'literally' and 'I know right',

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.