Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

Wikiposts

The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

Old May 1st 2011, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Royal Famil re-invent themselves yet again - bastards !

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
me too, I asked the same question the other day and didn't get an answer either!
Just following the trend and helping the helpless.....
Old May 1st 2011, 3:40 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
True, but you can't deny they are good for tourism.
I can deny it........ People still go to Versailles even without the French royalty......

But again, I'll ask the question.

Why should your family in Durham, and my family in Altrincham pay taxes towards the upkeep of Londons tourist trade? What's in it for them?
Old May 1st 2011, 3:50 am
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
I can deny it........ People still go to Versailles even without the French royalty......

But again, I'll ask the question.

Why should your family in Durham, and my family in Altrincham pay taxes towards the upkeep of Londons tourist trade? What's in it for them?
Many Americans go first to London because the feel they'd miss out on something if they didn't, then travel to where they think their real roots are.
Plus there would be the "What! You didn't do the Tower, or Buck-ing-ham Palace?" when they went back.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Many Americans go first to London because the feel they'd miss out on something if they didn't, then travel to where they think their real roots are.
Plus there would be the "What! You didn't do the Tower, or Buck-ing-ham Palace?" when they went back.
and on top of that, the tax spending does go in to the general pool...plus the royalty only costs the average person a couple pennies a year, so much better value than most other venues.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:48 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

such a shallow arguement..........

Our country is gorgeous in its' own right......... regardless of the kraut inbreeders.

people don't go to Paris anymore either since they rid the Frogs of the Royals...................

I have to agree, while the royal aspect is interesting, I would and do sightsee for the historical and geographical attractions.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:52 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

One technicality in one of the earliest posts, William NOT wearing a ring is nothing new his father and grandfather didn't either. Personally, I don't understand that one, if the bride does so should the groom.......
Old May 1st 2011, 4:54 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have to agree, while the royal aspect is interesting, I would and do sightsee for the historical and geographical attractions.
I don't think that people specifically come to the UK just to see the Queen but I do think that all the images of the royals/ceremonial will help refresh peoples minds that it's still here an inspire them to visit.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:03 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Thydney
I don't think that people specifically come to the UK just to see the Queen but I do think that all the images of the royals/ceremonial will help refresh peoples minds that it's still here an inspire them to visit.
Sure, but there is so much else to see that they shouldn't think that the royal aspect is the only thing worth seeing.

Also, I really think getting the Hanoverians in with all their Germanic cousin marriages etc kind of diluted the UKness of the royal family until the Queen Mum got into the act. I see Kate is descended from "The Other Boleyn Girl" and arguably Henry VIII.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:05 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Many Americans go first to London
that's where 95% of the planes land........
Old May 1st 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I agree tourists would come anyway, and secondly, even if this were a factor, I don't think a country should base the way it's governed on perceived interest to visitors.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:09 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't think a country should base the way it's governed on perceived interest to visitors.
nail meet head.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

nail meet head.
er

Anyway, that's what I was just saying to the DH (who wasn't listening, I'm sure).. the royals hardly "rule", they are somewhat ornamental. They're a symbolic part of government, but don't really 'run' the government.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
er

Anyway, that's what I was just saying to the DH (who wasn't listening, I'm sure).. the royals hardly "rule", they are somewhat ornamental. They're a symbolic part of government, but don't really 'run' the government.
How much would a weekly audience with Obama be worth?
Old May 1st 2011, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

One technicality in one of the earliest posts, William NOT wearing a ring is nothing new his father and grandfather didn't either. Personally, I don't understand that one, if the bride does so should the groom.......
Agree, on both counts....
Old May 1st 2011, 5:35 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by meauxna
the royals hardly "rule", they are somewhat ornamental. They're a symbolic part of government, but don't really 'run' the government.
all the more reason to bin them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.