Root Canal

Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Root Canal

Well I had my root canal done today. It was dead easy. Took about 30 mins. The dentist just talked soccer at me the whole time, with the occasional "mmm" from me.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Was that wisdom teeth and did you hve nitrous oxide?

I'm still struggling with making the appointment. I've more or less decided to go to a dental surgeon who will knock me out with a sedative. It's not the pain but fear itself. I know it sounds childish but I am petrified of extractions...no other dental procedure bothers me. As long as I can't see, feel or hear anything I'll be OK.
Find yourself a dentist that does 'sedation dental' there are lots of them around now, I am dental phobic and have friends that are too. One of my BF's hubby's got all new teeth after not going for years, he went to a sedation dentist and said it was the best thing he ever did
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:46 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The single best thing I ever did for my teeth was start flossing every day. Until I started that, I had bad breath, and the semi-annual cleanings were painful. Now, my breath is fresh, and the cleanings are a breeze. I'm sure it helps with decay too, but that's secondary! Also - for those who struggle with flossing - I started flossing every morning. It's not the 'best' time (night-time is better) but my dentist told me - the key is to do it at some point in the day - any time is better than no time, and in reality any food stuck there from an evening meal is not really going to start doing damage for 12-24 hours anyway. Also - I tried 10 different floss brands/types before finding one that would work for me.
We recommend the Crest 'Glide' Floss picks to patients at work (Ok, they are all kids ) They are not the cheapest ones you can get, but you can actually rinse them and keep using them until they shred or snap.

I agreed to have my teeth cleaned at work today - I was joking to one of the hygienists about getting them done and now i'm scheduled in for next tuesday lol.... I wonder if they'll make me paint on my own floride??
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
We recommend the Crest 'Glide' Floss picks to patients at work (Ok, they are all kids ) They are not the cheapest ones you can get, but you can actually rinse them and keep using them until they shred or snap.

I agreed to have my teeth cleaned at work today - I was joking to one of the hygienists about getting them done and now i'm scheduled in for next tuesday lol.... I wonder if they'll make me paint on my own floride??
That's the floss we use...but rinsing them....YUCK.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
What did the dentist say was the reason that the root canal needed to be redone? I don't believe that a root canal would need to be redone unless the x-ray showed that the root was not completely removed or you experienced pain in that tooth. He may have felt that posts should have been inserted when none was put in but that is not a root canal and probably shouldn't be more than about $500.

The posts and the crown are used on teeth that have little tooth structure remaining to try to keep everything together. The crown is also a better seal than a filling.
He didn't give a reason - just rushed in the room, took a brief look at the X-ray and the tooth, and told someone to tell me to get the root canal redone and a crown put on top. I wasn't very impressed.

The tooth does feel much much better with a crown on - it was worth every penny.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:40 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's the floss we use...but rinsing them....YUCK.
lol.... that was what I thought as well when they first told me at work!
Old May 7th 2010, 3:35 am
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a root canal in the 90s. Found it very painful.
About a year later I had a stroke. I was given an MRI. They asked if I had any metal in my body. I said no. But once in the chamber, the side of my mouth, where I had the root canal, started to hurt slightly. I never told them.
When I got home, I made a cuppa and sat having my tea with biscuits.
A few minutes later I felt something whizzing around in my mouth. Before I had a chance to spit it out, I swollowed it. I ran to the bathroom (didn't really run), opened my mouth and the root canal had gone!
I rang the hospital, but they did not believe me!
It was a little bloody. Went back to the dentist and he said he could do something, but I just told him to leave it alone. Haven't had a problem since then.
Liz
Old May 7th 2010, 4:21 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't the root canal you swallowed. It was the crown and or post or your tooth. A root canal is a procedure for a badly decaying or infected tooth. The inside of the crown and the post are usually made of metal but it is a very small amount. I have had two MRI's and have a few crowns that needed root canalsand have never had a problem. Sounds like the dentist did a shoddy job in the first place.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:26 am
Just Joined

huyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops,
Yes itwas the crown and the metal screw.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Liz
Old May 7th 2010, 4:26 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
It wasn't the root canal you swallowed. It was the crown and or post or your tooth. A root canal is a procedure for a badly decaying or infected tooth. The inside of the crown and the post are usually made of metal but it is a very small amount. I have had two MRI's and have a few crowns that needed root canalsand have never had a problem. Sounds like the dentist did a shoddy job in the first place.
One of my crowns is gold.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:31 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Gold crowns are the most expensive but they will last the longest. It's a good option for a back molar.
Old May 7th 2010, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by huyton
Oops,
Yes itwas the crown and the metal screw.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Liz
Sure!
Old May 7th 2010, 6:25 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Gold crowns are the most expensive but they will last the longest. It's a good option for a back molar.
Exactly why I have it.