Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Roomba - biggest pile of crap on the market

Roomba - biggest pile of crap on the market

Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:14 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roomba - biggest pile of crap on the market

Dunno if anyone goes on www.woot.com but they are having a "Woot Off" today and the Roomba (decent spec) was on sale earlier for $149.99 plus $5 shipping.

(For folk that don't know, Woot usually sells an item every day with $5 shipping. They have "2 for Tuesdays" and occassionally they sell tons of items in a 24 hour period, like today)
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Dunno if anyone goes on www.woot.com but they are having a "Woot Off" today and the Roomba (decent spec) was on sale earlier for $149.99 plus $5 shipping.

(For folk that don't know, Woot usually sells an item every day with $5 shipping. They have "2 for Tuesdays" and occassionally they sell tons of items in a 24 hour period, like today)
I go there and I see a printer.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:00 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I take it a Roomba Is a vac that's for lazy folk

We got a vac recently, it's been good, takes a bit of cleaning (Oh the irony) but it's ok.

Apart from today the front rotating thingy has stopped moving and I cant find a screw driver long enough to get into the holes. It is all designed to be fixed by the end user though so thats a good thing.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I take it a Roomba Is a vac that's for lazy folk

We got a vac recently, it's been good, takes a bit of cleaning (Oh the irony) but it's ok.

Apart from today the front rotating thingy has stopped moving and I cant find a screw driver long enough to get into the holes. It is all designed to be fixed by the end user though so thats a good thing.
How short ARE your screw drivers? Seriously, generally you only need something an inch long for most vacuums, if it's somewhere you're meant to put a screwdriver. Unless you have a very unusual one of course.

I jam up the rotating brush quite regularly - 3 long-haired dogs do that very effeciently.

I'd admit to being lazy enough to love a Roomba (if it would work). Well not completely lazy - but the dogs can shed faster than I can clean I think.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:16 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Post Re: Roomba - biggest pile of crap on the market

This vac is purrfect for dog and cat hair.

Its designed for it.

It also has a roating head on one of the attachements for use on stairs and sofas, it really works as well.

As for the screwdriver, I just cant find one long enough, mainly because I've not looked yet

this is the vac CLICK CLICK
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
This vac is purrfect for dog and cat hair.

Its designed for it.

It also has a roating head on one of the attachements for use on stairs and sofas, it really works as well.

As for the screwdriver, I just cant find one long enough, mainly because I've not looked yet

this is the vac CLICK CLICK
Well yes, it is easier to find things if you look for them

I am firmly convinced that there is NO vacuum successfully designed for dog hair. At least not the copious quantites that my dogs produce.

I have a Dyson, it manages somewhat.

If your brush isn't turning, it could possibly be clogged - a good bet, however, is a broken belt that you will need to replace. I usually keep on one hand - they should sell them at the store where you bought the vacuum.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a Dyson Animal when we got married in 2004. It's still alive and kicking. It does a pretty good job of getting up hte hair, but there 's just so damn much of it. My next step is putting in hardwood floors, and buying a leather sofa so I can get rid of the hairs and dander much easier (since they can't get embedded in the carpet/sofa fibers).

Tracy, have you thought about shaving your dogs? I've threatened to do that to the cats!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
We bought a Dyson Animal when we got married in 2004. It's still alive and kicking. It does a pretty good job of getting up hte hair, but there 's just so damn much of it. My next step is putting in hardwood floors, and buying a leather sofa so I can get rid of the hairs and dander much easier (since they can't get embedded in the carpet/sofa fibers).

Tracy, have you thought about shaving your dogs? I've threatened to do that to the cats!
LOL. Well I have the hardwood floors (mostly) and the leather couch.

I think the setters would die of shame if they were shaved. Cats do tend to look pretty funny too...
Attached Thumbnails Roomba - biggest pile of crap on the market-fella.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:27 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

I have the same vacuum as you do, Jamie. AND, we have hardwood floors throughout the entire house except for an area rug in the living room, two in our bedroom, and a carpet runner up the staircase. Hardwood floors don't, in my opinion, make it all that much easier to get the doghair up, but, it sure does make it easier to SEE.....and when you can see it, it makes you want to clean MORE. Also, it tends to clump up in specific places which is very odd.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I have the same vacuum as you do, Jamie. AND, we have hardwood floors throughout the entire house except for an area rug in the living room, two in our bedroom, and a carpet runner up the staircase. Hardwood floors don't, in my opinion, make it all that much easier to get the doghair up, but, it sure does make it easier to SEE.....and when you can see it, it makes you want to clean MORE. Also, it tends to clump up in specific places which is very odd.

~SecretGarden
I have the Dyson "animal" too. Funnily enough, there is nothing special about the vacuum itself to make it "animal" - it's just the attachments that give it the name. Surprised me when I found that out.

Yes, dog hair forms lovely tumbleweeds and runs around the hardwood floor. Extra fun.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

local Building 19 store had a roomba for $50 because the box was bent out of shape...hmmm...still prefer to use the dyson myself and hide in the noise, but it's not that bad so meh.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I have the Dyson "animal" too. Funnily enough, there is nothing special about the vacuum itself to make it "animal" - it's just the attachments that give it the name. Surprised me when I found that out.
can get most of the attachments for $50 a pop, so worth getting the cheapest dyson and customising what you want

though the new slim ball jobby looks pretty handy...
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
local Building 19 store had a roomba for $50 because the box was bent out of shape...hmmm...still prefer to use the dyson myself and hide in the noise, but it's not that bad so meh.
$50 ??!!?? omg send it to me

Originally Posted by Bob
can get most of the attachments for $50 a pop, so worth getting the cheapest dyson and customising what you want

though the new slim ball jobby looks pretty handy...
I agree - I don't even use the attachments. I only got that one because I was in a hurry (old vacuum had died and company was coming) plus the store had a sale, and a 20% off coupon, So it wasn't too bad of a deal.

I tried a Dyson ball one - and absolutely hated it. It's completely unstable - so the entire weight is on your wrist. And it sort of wriggles with every move so it feels like you're fighting it constantly. Maybe the new one is better, but I'd not be easily convinced.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:56 am
Sleepless In Chicago

I think the problem with mine, appart from still not getting up to look for the screwdriver may be the belt. Extra strain is put on it with the deep shag we have.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:58 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I, for one, welcome our new Roomba-riding feline overlords...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.