Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I view this differently. Yes, it's been going on for years, but it does not get mainstream attention and thus, flies under the radar. An incident like this brings the issue in focus to a larger audience and there is a very appropriate response. Whether it is Michael Vick fighting his dogs, food companies mistreating their animals, people illegally killing elephants for their tusks, or people shooting lions, rhinos and bears - it is barbaric and should be stopped.

And yes, it's barbaric that we have mass shootings every week in the US; there should be an equal amount of outrage on that issue also. The fact the public has become jaded to such events is truly sad, but that should not be used as a reason to suggest it's 'out of proportion' to be outraged by this killing - we SHOULD be outraged by all these things.

This guy is sick in the head if he thinks it is appropriate to shoot such a massive animal with an arrow. The fact it took 40 hours to track down and finally kill the animal indicates just how inappropriate his tool of choice was.

I truly hope he loses his livelihood; it may serve as a warning to others, and if nothing else will prevent him from funding such endeavors in the future.
I find it difficult to argue with any of that. I don't get the mentality of people that want to kill an animal in its natural habitat solely to cut its head off for a wall ornament and make a rug out of its skin. It is kind of strange though that no one in the royal family gets this kind of backlash when they go hunting on their estate. Are they not doing essentially doing the same thing as this dentist?
Anyway, I assume this dentist has family. And employees. Who are all gonna suffer as well. It's good that this is in the news to be talked about (although Ricky Gervais has been posting pictures of trophy hunters for a while now on Twitter), I just really don't think destroying the guy that did it is the right way to go about creating change. I'd happily see him charged if he has been found to have willingly broken laws, but not see his whole life destroyed.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
..... I just really don't think destroying the guy that did it is the right way to go about creating change. I'd happily see him charged if he has been found to have willingly broken laws, but not see his whole life destroyed......
This is just the court of public opinion, he can probably continue as a business in some pro-hunting communities, he would probably be heralded as a martyr by some. No one is being forced to boycott his business, but that is probably what will happen, but why not?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is just the court of public opinion, he can probably continue as a business in some pro-hunting communities, he would probably be heralded as a martyr by some. No one is being forced to boycott his business, but that is probably what will happen, but why not?
I live in a pro hunting community and you have it completely wrong.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen his YELP page that was posted earlier in the thread LOL. Boycott or no boycott, that business he has is dead!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who uses YELP, as I mentioned i have a rating and did not even know it.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
One star - Boiler continually fails to quote the poster to which he referring to! Would not reply to him again!
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen his YELP page that was posted earlier in the thread LOL. Boycott or no boycott, that business he has is dead!
You'd think the sexual harassment claims would have ruined it. He has started to dig a hole, that is going to get very deep.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:25 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
One star - Boiler continually fails to quote the poster to which he referring to! Would not reply to him again!
Even when he does quote (which he has been doing more often recently) you still can't work out what his point is. Its like posting tourettes. I am sure he has much to contribute, but he never really seems to care whether he communicates it or not.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

You'd think the sexual harassment claims would have ruined it. He has started to dig a hole, that is going to get very deep.
He's got sexual harassment claims against him? I did not know that.

Me, regularly.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:32 pm
He/him

He's got sexual harassment claims against him? I did not know that.
Apparently paid $127,500 to settle a claim from a patient/employee in 2009.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a pro hunting community and you have it completely wrong.
He probably can't continue in business?

He won't be heralded as a martyr?

People are being forced to boycott his business?

[A boycott] won't probably happen?

Is that what "completely wrong" means? If so, I still have no idea what that means.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
As far as I can see, lions are not an endangered species; https://www.worldwildlife.org/specie...inction_status, although I stand to be corrected on that.
Lions are listed as 'vulnerable', so they are on the list of threatened species. Their numbers are decreasing even still. They used to be found in Greece (and possibly farther west into Europe) and India at the extent of their range, which is now confined wholly within the continent of Africa in a few smaller patches.

They'll likely be moved to 'endangered; before long if this continues, so incidents like this certainly don't help, even if from a purely conservational point of view.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:18 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Lions are listed as 'vulnerable', so they are on the list of threatened species. Their numbers are decreasing even still. They used to be found in Greece (and possibly farther west into Europe) and India at the extent of their range, which is now confined wholly within the continent of Africa in a few smaller patches.

They'll likely be moved to 'endangered; before long if this continues, so incidents like this certainly don't help, even if from a purely conservational point of view.
I was Googling this earlier, and I found that lions were in Britain 13,000 years ago. (I had thought lions were in Britain when the Romans were here, so I was well wrong on that). Although articles also said "...analysed DNA from fossils..." which gets me scratching my head.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I was Googling this earlier, and I found that lions were in Britain 13,000 years ago. (I had thought lions were in Britain when the Romans were here, so I was well wrong on that). Although articles also said "...analysed DNA from fossils..." which gets me scratching my head.
I didn't know the range extended quite that far. Though I suppose it makes sense that they'd at least have reached close to Britian, perhaps France or Germany, since the lion was widely used as a heraldic device.

They certainly were in Greece though, they were encountered by Xerxes when he was there and Aristotle made mention of them. Either way, given the historic extent of their range, it's probably pretty safe to consider them endangered in all but name.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:28 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. Properly licensed and controlled hunting could be a boon to funding for wildlife conservation in poorer countries. I know this is an argument proposed by pro-hunting groups, but it does have some merit and there have been several scholarly studies validating the idea. In the US, hunters and the license fees they pay have been instrumental in the comeback of species like pronghorn, elk and wild turkey. Of course, I certainly agree that guides and game wardens have large incentives to take a few bribes and cut a few corners. Again, these would have to be properly monitored and robust programs.

One thing we can all agree on: trophy hunting is a pathetic and regressive display of childish macho-ism and general douchebaggery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.