Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Originally Posted by Jericho79

I find it unlikely that the carcas was simply left to rot- the meat was almost certainly given to the locals.
Every report says that the head and skin were removed and the carcass abandoned. This guy could give a damn about the locals eating.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
He is "said to be capable of skewering a playing card from 100 yards with his compound bow,"

U.S. dentist regrets role in Cecil the lion's death - CNN.com

It seems that he gets his kicks from shooting things at a distance.
I call bollocks on the skewering range, and not to get off the subject but there is a big fall of in knock down capability, now I have never looked at the numbers for a Lion, I presume it is similar to an Elk.

It is not just hitting your target but doing so in the right spot with sufficient energy to take it down.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is not just hitting your target but doing so in the right spot with sufficient energy to take it down.
He didn't take it down with the bow and arrow. Go read the story.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

He is "said to be capable of skewering a playing card from 100 yards with his compound bow,"
If he can't confirm whether it's hearts or clubs he is basically being an irresponsible hunter.

Translation, dentist regrets being found out.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

[I]

It seems that he gets his kicks from shooting things at a distance.
I guess it’s because if he misses his target he can get his sorry arse out with a long distance start before his 'target' catches him.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:55 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If he can't confirm whether it's hearts or clubs he is basically being an irresponsible hunter.

Translation, dentist regrets being found out.
He may have a nasty hobby and not be an ideal guest at dinner parties, but it seems that he paid a market price to participate in an activity that is generally legal in Zimbabwe. I'm pretty sure that hunters who pays these guides don't research the provenance of everything that they kill.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:57 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by audio
I guess it’s because if he misses his target he can get his sorry arse out with a long distance start before his 'target' catches him.
Accuracy over distance is a sign of technical skill that gives him bragging rights back at the club meetings.

Personally, I don't think that it's much of a sport, but it's not illegal to hunt lions in parts of Africa.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

He may have a nasty hobby and not be an ideal guest at dinner parties, but it seems that he paid a market price to participate in an activity that is generally legal in Zimbabwe. I'm pretty sure that hunters who pays these guides don't research the provenance of everything that they kill.
"Generally legal", you're on dodgy ground there. Luring a collared lion out of its protected habitat in a national park would be the reason the owner of the safari company is now under arrest and being investigated.

He knew what he was doing and he knew it probably wasn't entirely kosher.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:03 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
"Generally legal", you're on dodgy ground there. Luring a collared lion out of its protected habitat in a national park would be the reason the owner of the safari company is now under arrest and being investigated.

He knew what he was doing and he knew it probably wasn't entirely kosher.
You're assuming that he saw the collar. Given his propensity for shooting at things from afar (which given the need to track the lion for an extended period because he had failed to kill it with his shot seems likely in this case), he may very well not have.

In any case, there would be no thrill in killing this particular lion. It's not as if there is a Cecil price and a non-Cecil price. His guides opted for an easy target.

When I say that it's "generally legal," that's because lion hunting is legal in Zimbabwe, but not every lion in every location is fair game. He was on private land, not in the park area when he did the shooting -- that would have seemed normal.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone that engages in trophy hunting clearly has self esteem issues. I don't agree with it all, I can't imagine I'd much enjoy being in the company that did enjoy it. However, I think the reaction to this is ridiculous. It's been going on for years, but because a guy shoots a tagged lion, there's uproar. I saw a clip of Jimmy Kimmel from last night where he hammered the guy. He did however say "I don't think we should start a witch hunt against the guy"....... right after naming him! What a complete ****tard!!!! I'm against trophy hunting, but I think the reaction to this has been ridiculous. The guy is almost certainly gonna lose his likelihood which to me, is a rather hefty price to pay for what he did.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using a guide, it suggests that you are not an expert. I assume this kind of person knows how to use their weapon and pays so they can just turn up, be lead to a spot and fire in the right direction. (Although the black bear incident does not help his case)
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you are using a guide, it suggests that you are not an expert. I assume this kind of person knows how to use their weapon and pays so they can just turn up, be lead to a spot and fire in the right direction. (Although the black bear incident does not help his case)
Actually no, I have come across many skilled hunters who will use a guide because they know what they do not know about the local area. Ditto for fishing.

In this case makes sense to use a guide but I have a real hard time believing that he knew it was legit, not that difficult to know who is and who is not.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Actually no, I have come across many skilled hunters who will use a guide because they know what they do not know about the local area. Ditto for fishing.

In this case makes sense to use a guide but I have a real hard time believing that he knew it was legit, not that difficult to know who is and who is not.
I had them down as similar to those that climb Everest with guides. Capable mountaineers up to a limit, but not able to make the right choices or decisions when presented with something new and a few steps above their comfort zone. Matches your description too.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

As an aside nothing that the western media could do anyway, this is Africa.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I had them down as similar to those that climb Everest with guides. Capable mountaineers up to a limit, but not able to make the right choices or decisions when presented with something new and a few steps above their comfort zone.
Actually that is a good example, not sure you are even allowed to climb Everest without a guide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.