Return or One Way?

Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:37 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Return or One Way?

I've been keeping an eye on Virgin Atlantic's website lately, and the price of fares to the UK is going down a tiny bit, but I just did a round trip calculation, and it's over $200 less than a one way.

I want to go with this airline as it's a direct, relatively short flight, and it's an approved route for my dog to fly also. Question is, if I get the round trip, do I have to tell anyone I won't be using the return journey? I get really nervous at airports as it is, and I don't want to get into trouble in any way, shape or form. I know that the airlines overbook, so they'll probably be grateful that there will be a spare seat on the way back, but is it wise to shout about it?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return or One Way?

When we originally immigrated out here we bought return tickets because they were so much cheaper than one-ways. I booked the return out as far as I could, (I think usually it has to be within 1 year and we flew BA so I just selected the return date that gave us the cheapest price). I also booked the return date way out 'just incase' we wanted to use it to get back to the UK for some reason (then I guess we would have bought another return and so it would have gone on....), anyway, we never did use the ticket as by then I was 8 months pregnant! I remember looking at the date a year later and saying to my OH 'are your ears burning? they'll be intercoming our names around the airport just about now, 'this is the last call for passengers blah blah, please go to boarding gate blaaaah'.... I'm assuming they left without us LOL
Anyway, if you're a bit more organised than me, you could give them a call a few days before the return date comes up and just let them know that you won't be using the ticket but personally, I wouldn't advertise your intentions at this point simply because there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
Sorry if this is long and waffly, I didn't get to sleep until after 4am

Last edited by USAGypsies; Oct 9th 2007 at 2:26 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:48 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Sorry if this is long and waffly, I didn't get to sleep until after 4am

Not at all! This is good advice. If I book the return part for quite some time in the future, it'd explain why I'm taking a dog with me. Also, good point about changing your mind. I highly doubt it'll happen, but I also never thought I'd want to leave the US either, sooooo.... Thank you!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I've been keeping an eye on Virgin Atlantic's website lately, and the price of fares to the UK is going down a tiny bit, but I just did a round trip calculation, and it's over $200 less than a one way.

I want to go with this airline as it's a direct, relatively short flight, and it's an approved route for my dog to fly also. Question is, if I get the round trip, do I have to tell anyone I won't be using the return journey? I get really nervous at airports as it is, and I don't want to get into trouble in any way, shape or form. I know that the airlines overbook, so they'll probably be grateful that there will be a spare seat on the way back, but is it wise to shout about it?
I booked a return when I came back, with the intention of using the return portion to come to a conference (which I did). Maybe book a return for several months in the future and then decide closer to the date whether you intend to use the return portion (maybe call the airline closer to the return date if you decide not to use it). But I agree - don't get into any conversation with the airline staff about "I might come back, I might not". If they do ask, just say you are thinking of going back to the US for a vacation.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I booked a return when I came back, with the intention of using the return portion to come to a conference (which I did).
How did you get back from the conference - swim ??
Old Oct 10th 2007, 12:01 am
Just Joined

flamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura aboutflamelily has a spectacular aura about

its no problem - besides its open for a year - you never know you could be back ?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:01 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Also when you get ther you MAY be able to sell the tickets off cheap to someone who wants them...I think they only have to contact the airline and pay a small fee to get the names changed. Dont quote me on this but we booked a holiday a couple of years ago with some friends and one couldnt come so we got someone else in his place and the compnay just changed the name on the ticket. As I say dont quote me but just a thought.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Cjvolitan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting a one way when i get my ticket to the uk works out cheaper here from Trinidad to uk don't know why it's more expensive for you guys maybe u 'all know something i don't know....or as usual we get the short end of the stick here in the 'Third world'