Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Registering with a physician

Registering with a physician

Old May 14th 2015, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering with a physician

Thanks for the replies. It seems like a bit of a minefield- but all this has certainly helped
Old May 14th 2015, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Hi Eddie, unlike the UK, there is no legal obligation to register with a doctor here in the USA.
I've never heard of it being illegal to not register with a doctor in the UK.
Old May 14th 2015, 2:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddie35
Thanks for the replies. It seems like a bit of a minefield- but all this has certainly helped
It really isn't complicated. Choose an in-network doctor. Expect to pay a "co-pay" when you go to the doctor - amounts vary according to your insurance, mine is $20 per visit.

Pulaski has insurance with a high deductible (he pays all costs up to $10K I think). So he will pay the total cost of the doctor visit (P, correct if I'm wrong) not jsut $20 or so.

I have 3 kids who are hardly ever "sick" but always up to stuff that seems to get them injured and they are teens with acne prone skin so we have loads of dr appointments. I have insurance with a lower deductible and only co-pay. Of course we pay more for this but I think for us, it was a good decision.
Old May 14th 2015, 2:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
You're right, it is no longer compulsory to register with a GP practice in the UK. It changed after I left the UK.
Old May 14th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
You're right, it is no longer compulsory to register with a GP practice in the UK. It changed after I left the UK.
I didn't know it had ever been a legal requirement to register with a GP?
Old May 14th 2015, 2:54 pm
Austin. TX.

Yes, it was.... A funny anomaly of the UK and NHS. Unlike most EU countries, a UK citizen did not have to inform the local authority of their residence. But you did have to register with a doctor.
Old May 14th 2015, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Pulaski has insurance with a high deductible (he pays all costs up to $10K I think). So he will pay the total cost of the doctor visit (P, correct if I'm wrong) not just $20 or so. .....
Correct. Medical bills go through the same process, so that the insurer adds them to our running total for the year, but then several months later we get a bill for the full amount less any applicable discounts.
..... I have 3 kids who are hardly ever "sick" but always up to stuff that seems to get them injured and they are teens with acne prone skin so we have loads of dr appointments. I have insurance with a lower deductible and only co-pay. Of course we pay more for this but I think for us, it was a good decision.
You may be surprised if you look back at the end of the year. Two of my colleagues, who are unknown to each other, have both moved to high deductible insurance without encouragement from me, and despite having three and four children respectively, they have both experienced a cost benefit to being on HD insurance. One even had a child who broke an arm, and they still say they are "ahead" on HD insurance!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2015 at 3:25 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Deductibles are often one of the hardest things to understand. As always, check the fine print of your policy.

What does and does not count towards it can be confusing and it is hard to generalize. In patient and out patient procedures in a hospital usually do. Office visits depend. Preventative care is covered under the ACA so you should be able to get annual physicals, well women exam, vaccines etc for no more than a copay. Other office visits for colds and flu etc. may depend on your policy. I've seen some bronze level plans that give you a set number of "free" (copay only) visits others where all visits are "free".

One noticeable difference I have seen with high deductible plans is often their coverage of mental health visits which is unfortunate.

When the ACA started lots of people were crying over having to pay thousands before they can get treatment. In reality (depending on your condition) careful choice of policy even at bronze level (i.e. not just the cheapest) may mean you will not touch the deductible.

Last edited by sir_eccles; May 14th 2015 at 4:35 pm.
Old May 14th 2015, 11:19 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we do have a pediatrician for the kiddos and i like it better than them seeing my reg docs. The docs has seating and toys and books for kids, they have the right sized BP cuffs readily there, the decorate the rooms in a way that gives the kiddos something to think about and usually something to entertain them. plus they are used to dealing with kiddos exclusively so are more up to date on what the latest bugs sweeping the schools area etc.

i guess for adults - its mainly the men who may have more issue with the regular medical. Us ladies have to go annually for certain tests so its usually not much more bother to fit it in at that point. I dont find the annual medical that invasive (over and above the regular women's test)