Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Random question about horses

Random question about horses

Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Random question about horses

Ok, this has been puzzling me for ages....

I love watching animal rescue on animal planet (sad I know!) but they always seem to have horses on there with bad feet or teeth. Owners neglected them etc. The feet always seem to be overgrown, or not filed back, or some other horrible looking thing.

Anyway the question is.... what do horses in the wild do? If humans have to file their hooves and if they dont they go lame, then surley horses in the wild would be lame

Also same question for teeth

Thanks for any answers
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:58 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random question about horses

A horse in the wild runs about so much, the hooves are generally kept worn down by hitting the rocks/gravel.

Horses in captivity don't run about like that, so their hooves grow too big.

My mum wrote several books about horses and ponies.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/090455886X
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:05 pm

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Random question about horses

Here is a picture of some wild Welsh ponies who used to graze on the salt marshes not far from my home (sorry I can't answer your question about their hooves!)
Attached Thumbnails Random question about horses-2619.jpg