Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A question on electronics conversion

A question on electronics conversion

Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:47 pm
Amy

Default A question on electronics conversion

Hello all,

With the amount of British expats in this group, I have a question for you - Can
anyone tell me how they got around the electronics conversion problem? My UK Fiance &
I are searching for a way for him to be able to bring his region 2 dvds over here
once we get married & watch them. The same goes for his videos NTSB vs. PAL. Does
anyone have any ideas??

I have heard there is a muli-region dvd player out there somewhere, but cannot find
where to buy one (if this even truly exists). His dvd & video collection is quite
extensive & understandably, he doesn't want to part with it. It would ruin his
collection to have to have them all converted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know this isn't an immigration problem,
per se, but if we are having problems with this sort of stuff, then maybe someone
else is too.

This group has helped us so much both by information shared & showing us that we are
not alone in this seemingly neverending separation. 10 months & counting...

Thanks in advance, Amy

Old Sep 8th 2002, 7:29 pm
Girard Bourque

Default Re: A question on electronics conversion

When I was stationed in England, I bought a TV that was dual NTSC and PAL. This
might be the quickest and easiest method around that problem. I was there many
years ago, the TV was a panasonic and I switched between the 2 systems by a press of
a button. I am not sure what is out there now. Heard rumors once of a convertor
box, but never saw one.

Jerry

Old Sep 8th 2002, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough

I'm no expert on this, but it is possible to get a "chipped" (multi-region) DVD player over here. I have a British friend in CA who has one, and I know that he got it over here.

Another solution which the previous poster mentioned, would be to bring his TV and DVD player from England over here. That only leaves the problem of power supply. What you need for that is a step-up transformer. I got one in London, on Tottenham Court Road, for 40 pounds and it handles appliances up to 100w. I'd definately look for that in England before moving over...they're moderately hard to find in England, and I'd guess they'd be even harder to find here (what with people travelling to England less than vice versa and all). Good luck with it all,

-Harry
Old Sep 9th 2002, 2:37 am
Denis Barlow

On 8 Sep 2002 09:47:08 -0700, [email protected] (Amy) wrote:

>Hello all,
    >With the amount of British expats in this group, I have a question for you - Can
    >anyone tell me how they got around the electronics conversion problem? My UK Fiance
    >& I are searching for a way for him to be able to bring his region 2 dvds over here
    >once we get married & watch them. The same goes for his videos NTSB vs. PAL. Does
    >anyone have any ideas??
    >I have heard there is a muli-region dvd player out there somewhere, but cannot find
    >where to buy one (if this even truly exists). His dvd & video collection is quite
    >extensive & understandably, he doesn't want to part with it. It would ruin his
    >collection to have to have them all converted.
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know this isn't an immigration problem,
    >per se, but if we are having problems with this sort of stuff, then maybe someone
    >else is too.
    >This group has helped us so much both by information shared & showing us that we are
    >not alone in this seemingly neverending separation. 10 months & counting...
    >Thanks in advance, Amy

Hi Amy,

Take a look at this website, you might find exactly what you need there:-

http://www.110-220volts.com/index.s-
html

Denis

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Old Sep 10th 2002, 5:54 am
Mrtravel

Amy wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > With the amount of British expats in this group, I have a question for you - Can
    > anyone tell me how they got around the electronics conversion problem? My UK Fiance
    > & I are searching for a way for him to be able to bring his region 2 dvds over here
    > once we get married & watch them. The same goes for his videos NTSB vs. PAL. Does
    > anyone have any ideas??
    > I have heard there is a muli-region dvd player out there somewhere, but cannot find
    > where to buy one (if this even truly exists).

Well, if you like video games, I believe the Sony X Box plays all regional. It is not
hard to find a all region dvd player online. We have a multiformat VCR from Samsung,
so PAL/NTSC is not an issue. Even if you had a PAL output DVD player, you could
connect it to the VCR and have NTSC output to the TV>