Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Question about VWP and being arrested

Question about VWP and being arrested

Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about VWP and being arrested

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Fatbrit, I understand the point your trying to make, it's a really crap question isn't it. But I would guess intent surely has a lot to do with it. I mean if you go out with the intent to kill someone, then that's murder, 1st degree no doubt, but if you went out and accidentally killed someone, maybe lost control of your car or somethng it would probably be manslaughter. A huge difference as far as the law is concerned yet the only real difference was the intent.

I had no idea I had been given a stolen cheque when I went to the bank to pay it in, surely that must count for something?

I guess your right, probably best to just get a visa if I want to go. We have been entering the greencard lottery for a few years now so wouldn't want to jeopardise that in case our number ever came up.

Thanks for the responses tho guys.
I don't think you're going to have any problem securing a B1/2, BTW.

Also, I think whether it's a CIMT may evolve around whether you had guilty knowledge of this action -- which clearly you did not! However, attempting to explain this to a POE officer would be difficult since you have very few if any rights in this situation. The safest way is to apply for the visa, especially since your complete exoneration means that there is no reason to refuse you a visa.