Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Putting a pool in...

Putting a pool in...

Old May 31st 2013, 2:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting a pool in...

Originally Posted by Ray
guestimate $35k+ $5k extras
Don't know what its like up Binks' way, but a bit south of him, most of the pool companies don't get out of bed for less than 50k. That's what it cost us when we put ours in 4 years ago and for that we got a 35kgallon 45' length, 8' at the deep end, pretty simple design. Last year a mate put in a 20kgallon 36' length 5.5' deep otherwise pretty simple, like ours - guess what it cost? 50k. The company that did ours is now touting themselves as "high end builders" with a minimum 100k project cost.
Old May 31st 2013, 2:36 am
Just Joined

gen175 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
Has anyone done this, had a pool put in?

Any advice or pitfalls to avoid?

We're looking into getting a pool put in our yard, are well aware that it isn't going to recover its cost if/when we sell. Given that we both love to be in the pool during summer and plan on staying at this house for a decent period of time, we're willing to accept the cost and enjoy not having to go to my wife's parents to use their pool all summer (not that we mind being at thier house it would just be nice to not have to jump in the car every time we want to go in the pool).

Anyone with experience within Houston would be awesome...!
Definitely go for salt water system, if you haven't already done so. We upgraded our pool system about 6 months ago in California. Made a huge difference. Nicer to swim in, better on the skin, no chlorine smell, no use of liquid chlorine, better looking water. We are not going to get the full benefit of our pool upgrade, as we are about to relocate to Houston in the next two weeks!
Old May 31st 2013, 2:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Don't know what its like up Binks' way, but a bit south of him, most of the pool companies don't get out of bed for less than 50k. That's what it cost us when we put ours in 4 years ago and for that we got a 35kgallon 45' length, 8' at the deep end, pretty simple design. Last year a mate put in a 20kgallon 36' length 5.5' deep otherwise pretty simple, like ours - guess what it cost? 50k. The company that did ours is now touting themselves as "high end builders" with a minimum 100k project cost.
our Florida pools are much smaller usually about 30 ft
we are poor people here though
Old May 31st 2013, 2:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
we are poor people here though
so are we after we've paid for our pools
Old May 31st 2013, 2:50 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live THAT far from you Yorkie!!! You're correct. The guys I've spoken to have basically said starting at $50k... We want a decent sized pool with a spa and a rock waterfall with a slide. I'm reckoning on quotes coming in in the $65k-$75k range...
Out of curiosity, who was your builder?
I have The Pool Man and Grand Isle Pools coming round for starters.
Old May 31st 2013, 2:51 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gen175
Definitely go for salt water system, if you haven't already done so. We upgraded our pool system about 6 months ago in California. Made a huge difference. Nicer to swim in, better on the skin, no chlorine smell, no use of liquid chlorine, better looking water. We are not going to get the full benefit of our pool upgrade, as we are about to relocate to Houston in the next two weeks!
Thanks, we want saltwater as I have eczema and it is much gentler on my skin.
Old May 31st 2013, 2:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live THAT far from you Yorkie!!! You're correct. The guys I've spoken to have basically said starting at $50k... We want a decent sized pool with a spa and a rock waterfall with a slide. I'm reckoning on quotes coming in in the $65k-$75k range...
...hurry up and get it done.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:23 am

No, you're not that far, but from what i can tell, the pool companies seem pretty territorial. I've not seen those 2 down our way, and suspect you may not have seen the katy ones up your way. We used Sunset Pools. Others that we had quote were Omega, Quest, castle rock (gone bust), encore, a couple more but can't remember. If we were going to build again, I'd probably give Omega a try...
Old May 31st 2013, 11:39 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Just move and buy a house with a pool - much easier!
Old May 31st 2013, 1:01 pm
Rootbeeraholic

No, you're not that far, but from what i can tell, the pool companies seem pretty territorial. I've not seen those 2 down our way, and suspect you may not have seen the katy ones up your way. We used Sunset Pools. Others that we had quote were Omega, Quest, castle rock (gone bust), encore, a couple more but can't remember. If we were going to build again, I'd probably give Omega a try...
It's true, most of the pool companies I've come across are local to the cypress area. I don't know if they're territorial or just have enough work in their local area so don't see the need to go further afield.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:19 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Just move and buy a house with a pool - much easier!
Pah! Not that easy when you're already in a house you like!
It's funny we bought a new house and knew we'd have to put a pool in and our friends bought a pool that came with a house and need to throw a lot of money at the house to upgrade it all.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:26 pm

It's true, most of the pool companies I've come across are local to the cypress area. I don't know if they're territorial or just have enough work in their local area so don't see the need to go further afield.
I think that's it - there is so much building going on, that they don't need to spread their wings...it must be a lot easier to coordinate a bunch of projects that are all closely co-located, rather than being spread out all over the place.

We used a "non-local" builder for some other work a few years ago, and had to virtually twist his arm to come all the way up here from Richmond (about 20 minutes away!). Once he'd done our job, he got a whole load of other jobs in the same subdivision, and now reckons most of his jobs are up this way. Wish I'd been on commission......
Old May 31st 2013, 1:36 pm

Pah! Not that easy when you're already in a house you like!
It's funny we bought a new house and knew we'd have to put a pool in and our friends bought a pool that came with a house and need to throw a lot of money at the house to upgrade it all.
And probably also throw money at the pool before too long....friends did that and are already having to replaster and redo the coping - they bought a salt pool with flagstone coping and even with sealing it every year, its just eroded before their eyes..
Old May 31st 2013, 1:44 pm
Rootbeeraholic

And probably also throw money at the pool before too long....friends did that and are already having to replaster and redo the coping - they bought a salt pool with flagstone coping and even with sealing it every year, its just eroded before their eyes..
Yes. Their coping is shot from the salt. They've had it resealed but it will need replacing in a few years in any case now.
I do want saltwater so am going to have to think about the coping carefully. I'll see what the guy who is coming round today says.

Last edited by Bink; May 31st 2013 at 3:42 pm. Reason: stupid iPhone autocorrect
Old May 31st 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Salt water is indeed the way to go.
No bloody irritating eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.