Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Putting America's Diet on a Diet

Putting America's Diet on a Diet

Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Putting America's Diet on a Diet

I rarely buy newspapers these days (I would if I was still in England!) but yesterday I splashed out and paid $5.00 for the Sunday edition of the 'New York Times'. There are so many sections that it takes a while to plough through the NYT, but I've just read a really interesting article in the magazine (and he made the front page of the mag) about the chef Jamie Oliver.

Jamie has just been to one the unhealthiest towns in the US; Huntingdon, West Virginia, where nearly half the adults are obese and the poverty rate is much higher than the national average at 19%. Jamie is on a quest to educate the local population into producing healthy meals from scratch rather than eating highly processed food. He had TV series in a similar vein in Rotherham, Yorks (with mixed results) and he is trying to replicate the same experiment in Huntingdon, W.Va

The US TV series, "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" is a co-production of is company and Ryan Seacrest Productions. ABC will broadcast it in six parts in early 2010....

The magazine article is quite long, but I enjoyed reading it. It's also here online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/ma...0oliver&st=cse

and here's one of his nice, easy recipes from the same article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/ma...l?ref=magazine

I always enjoy watching Jamie on TV...he has such a warm personality, a salt-of-the-earth kind of guy whom apparently has no airs or graces.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting America's Diet on a Diet

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I always enjoy watching Jamie on TV...he has such a warm personality, a salt-of-the-earth kind of guy whom apparently has no airs or graces.
There is just something about that guy that annoys me when i watch him. not sure what just something!

Perhaps its because im biased Gordon Ramsey fan.......
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Putting America's Diet on a Diet

Nah.....Gordon Ramsay is entertaining to watch and seems to be quite a nice guy if he's in a good mood...

....but I think he would be a total shlt to work for (it's so apparent from his sudden rages on Hell's Kitchen). He doesn't seem to have been much of a spouse either as he had an affair which went on for some years until he was busted in the press a few months ago.

At least I feel comfortable to have a go at cooking recipes from Jamie's cookery books and the photos are always appealing...the recipes in Gordon Ramsay's and Nigella Lawson's either don't appeal to me or the rest of the family so no-one would want to eat the stuff I've 'lovingly' prepared (yet they will eat stuff from Jamie's books) - or worse, they have ingredients which are too difficult to find in the local supermarkets here!

The only 'celeb' cookery books I possess are Jamie's and Delia Smith's (which was a wedding gift yonks ago).
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on the down to earth nature of Jamie Olvier's books - particularly his more recent ones. I'm not a particularly confident cook and I find myself turning to his books for basic 'how to' stuff more and more - in preference to Delia Smith which I've used for years and years!

I've got some Nigella Lawson books too and find that they have their uses, but not so much for every day stuff. I've never yet seen a Gordon Ramsey recipe that I felt able to have a go at - although I do find him fun to watch on the tv and I did enjoy his autobiography!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:19 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I rarely buy newspapers these days (I would if I was still in England!) but yesterday I splashed out and paid $5.00 for the Sunday edition of the 'New York Times'. There are so many sections that it takes a while to plough through the NYT, but I've just read a really interesting article in the magazine (and he made the front page of the mag) about the chef Jamie Oliver.

Jamie has just been to one the unhealthiest towns in the US; Huntingdon, West Virginia, where nearly half the adults are obese and the poverty rate is much higher than the national average at 19%. Jamie is on a quest to educate the local population into producing healthy meals from scratch rather than eating highly processed food. He had TV series in a similar vein in Rotherham, Yorks (with mixed results) and he is trying to replicate the same experiment in Huntingdon, W.Va

The US TV series, "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" is a co-production of is company and Ryan Seacrest Productions. ABC will broadcast it in six parts in early 2010....

The magazine article is quite long, but I enjoyed reading it. It's also here online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/ma...0oliver&st=cse

and here's one of his nice, easy recipes from the same article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/ma...l?ref=magazine

I hope he has more success with it than he did in England.

Don't know if you saw the series where he tried to convert the country to healthy school lunches and parents were feeding their kids MacDonalds and fish and chips through the railings.

He seems a really nice guy, but can have a really good swearing rant just as big as Ramsays, when people try to take advantage of him.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of the mockney git...has anyone been watching Jamies American Road Trip or whatever it's called?

Some pretty amusing locations, the one in NY I thought was pretty cool as it was a bit off beat.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:52 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know from cookbooks, but I'll watch Nigella doing a show anytime.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:40 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I don't know from cookbooks, but I'll watch Nigella doing a show anytime.
Now you're talking. Both me and the wife are in love with Nigella, which in itself appeals
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they eat the thick tongued annoying little wanker.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Keith Floyd was the man when it comes to cooking entertainment. God rest his soul.

Bollocks to the rest of them, they're all wankers.

The best thing you can say about Jamie Oliver, is that he's not Bear Grylls.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Keith Floyd was the man when it comes to cooking entertainment. God rest his soul.

Bollocks to the rest of them, they're all wankers.

The best thing you can say about Jamie Oliver, is that he's not Bear Grylls.
Im sure bear grylls could come up with a pretty good menu

as for ramsey, his autobiographys are a great read (on a side not so are shane richies)
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:40 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard to change an ingrained diet, and I'm NOT speaking of the whole fast food thing, which is something that has intruded in the last 30 odd years.

We ate more because we worked harder physically, because we worked harder physically we were in better shape. Now, not so much.

Southern cooking in the US is not known for being healthy, and while Paula Deen's stuff looks pretty good, it's not so good for your waistline or your heart.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:53 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I hope they eat the thick tongued annoying little wanker.
+1

Gordon Ramsey is a twat to work for but he's that way for a reason, he has some of the best staff in the world and those that stick it out are thankful, I guarantee it.

Jamie is ok in small doses, like stewing chunk size.

Nigella, never seen one of her shows, my wife tried to make on of her recipes though, it was a bit of a failure, I corrected it by actually COOKING somethings that Nigella sugested were raw.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Southern cooking in the US is not known for being healthy, and while Paula Deen's stuff looks pretty good, it's not so good for your waistline or your heart.
Have you ever watched the Neeleys? Nobody could eat like that and live to see tomorrow....
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:19 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Have you ever watched the Neeleys? Nobody could eat like that and live to see tomorrow....
'cept the Neeleys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.