Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Pulaski and others - showerhead for low water pressure

Pulaski and others - showerhead for low water pressure

Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pulaski and others - showerhead for low water pressure

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Lowes sells it in 10ft lengths. .... Or I can send you a few off-cuts if you need anything from 4" to 3'.

Yep... Lowes around here does 4ft as well.

Also, Hot/Cold outdoor is great. Good for washing the car and the dogs.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Our (very old) house was plumbed with copper, steel, some sort of bronze-type stuff, Cast Iron and LEAD.
The bronze stuff is used for connectors or stubs for fixtures. Also, steel and copper are not to be in direct contact with each other -- brass is used to isolate the two materials to avoid electrolysis.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I cut a thicket of copper pipes out of a house built in 1928 and replaced it with a simple PEX distribution "tree", and added an accessible cut-off valve for the entire system (the existing one is about thirty feet from the access hatch in a roughly 2ft high crawlspace under the house ). I also added an external cold tap, with its own isolation valve.

The only remaining copper pipe runs inside the wall from from the crawlspace to the laundry room. The project took me a few hours, but wriggling into and out of the crawlspace with tools and supplies, and doing the whole project lying on my back made the project more time consuming.
Out of curiosity, why did you remove the copper? I would have left that undisturbed.

BTW, if one works with copper in an existing system, an essential item is stale bread.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:02 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The bronze stuff is used for connectors or stubs for fixtures. Also, steel and copper are not to be in direct contact with each other -- brass is used to isolate the two materials to avoid electrolysis.
The bronze-type stuff was in 20ft lengths, running from the basement to the 1st floor bathroom. Strange stuff. Real thick-walled too.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, why did you remove the copper? I would have left that undisturbed. ....
If I didn't, it would have been only a matter of time before someone else did, and in fact some of the pipe went missing after I cut it out. Thankfully the scrap value of PEX is negligible.
The bronze-type stuff was in 20ft lengths, running from the basement to the 1st floor bathroom. Strange stuff. Real thick-walled too.
T'was brass. I've only ever seen one short length of brass pipe myself, of course apart from all the brass pipe fittings and connectors of various sorts.

Just out of curiosity, how many 20ft lengths does it take to get from the basement to the first floor of Nutek Towers?

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2014 at 5:27 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1QKtBqv38

Try this before disassembling anything.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 5:31 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many 20ft lengths does it take to get from the basement to the first floor of Nutek Towers?
It was running lengthwise across the rock-lined hole that passes for a basement under our house.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:19 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Yep... Lowes around here does 4ft as well.

I need to look harder!

Lowes sells it in 10ft lengths. .... Or I can send you a few off-cuts if you need anything from 4" to 3'.
Thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Commentator

If I didn't, it would have been only a matter of time before someone else did, and in fact some of the pipe went missing after I cut it out. Thankfully the scrap value of PEX is negligible.
During construction, pipe and wire has to be secured or not left on site at all. I've not seen or heard of people going into crawlspaces. However, some houses in my area have antique exterior sconces sometimes go walking along with wire from the conduit.

Sometimes, the street lights go out and the problem is that the underground wiring has gone for a walk. Also -- news article So, vacant houses can be at risk.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:39 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

During construction, pipe and wire has to be secured or not left on site at all. I've not seen or heard of people going into crawlspaces. However, some houses in my area have antique exterior sconces sometimes go walking along with wire from the conduit.

Sometimes, the street lights go out and the problem is that the underground wiring has gone for a walk. Also -- news article So, vacant houses can be at risk.
Not just vacant houses. There was a rash of thefts of air conditioners at one point. People actually bought cages to put round them to stop some light fingered folk!

One related instance that pops into my mind, when I was still working on my tools, we got called out to a business where they had stolen the underground utility service conductors. We replaced the conductors, had our inspection, called the utility to come back out and hook their end back in and left. All was well and good until about an hour, or so later when the utility called to ask where the conductors were? The sneaky little b******ds had come back and snatched out the brand new wire also before the utility managed to make it there!
It was almost a weekly occurrence at one point! They just didn't care that the transformers were still energized, all they wanted was that scrap money!

Needless to say. Scrapping copper is a little more complicated here these days, with fingerprints and the such needed!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 10:04 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

At least they were nicking the right stuff: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-20902527
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 3:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
At least they were nicking the right stuff: [fibre optic cable theft]
I am not sure whether I am more surprised that the idiot-thief thinks the fibre optic cables have scrap value, OR that the journalist who wrote the article failed to point out that it is metal cables that have scrap value, and that glass or plastic fibre optic cables are effectively worthless.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:17 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

It's the data in them cables that attracts the theifs nowadays.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by RICH
It's the data in them cables that attracts the thieves nowadays.
How much data can a 50ft section of FO cable yield if you make off with it?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

How much data can a 50ft section of FO cable yield if you make off with it?
I can only give an approximation. Light travels about 1 foot in 1 nanosecond (1 billionth of a second). TV fiber optic cable transmits up to 39 mbps (million bits per second) of information on each 6 MHz band. Most TV cable systems are 760 MHz systems. Therefore the total throughput of the fiber optic cable could be as high as about 5 gbps (760/6*39,000,000 equals about 5 billion bits per second).

Therefore each foot could have 5 bits of information and a 50 foot section could have 250 bits at any one time. However he only has up to 50 nanoseconds to catch any of the bits as they fall out of the cable but if he is very fast, he can catch most of the bits.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 22nd 2014 at 6:33 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.