Prudish Americans

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Prudish Americans

So, anyone else think that in general - Americans a prudes?

Nudity on TV? haven't seen ANY since I have been in the US, and when they have nudity, its blurred out.

Was speaking to a colleague at work the other week and she freaked out when I told her about the English Gardens in Munich, Germany (nude sunbathing) the 'propper' sauna's over in Europe and the fact that pretty much all beaches in the UK are fine with topless sunbathing.

Went to the public swimming pool the other week. There was no cubical's - just a male and female changing room. None of the toilets were available because people were changing in them (mmm... Nice, rather stand in pee than have someone of the same sex see some flesh) and the only other guy getting changed in the room managed to get dried and completely changed without taking his towel off.

Wife came out of the female changing room and said pretty much the same thing - made her feel so uncomfortable that she too went and changed in the toilet cubicle.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an exhibitionist or anything, but are Americans really so inhibited and self conscious?

Oh - and to go back to the TV thing, its perfectly OK to have people getting killed, blown up, hacked up and any other violence you can think off...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prudish Americans

Totally agree with you. It suprised me when we first came here, but I'm used to it now. Trying to get my daughter and son to be more *european* though is a struggle.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dh010447;6239830] Americans a prudes?

QUOTE]

yep big time ...i'd love to see this lot around me at an ann summers party
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=TruBrit;6240035]
Originally Posted by dh010447
Americans a prudes?

QUOTE]

yep big time ...i'd love to see this lot around me at an ann summers party
Oh my god - that would be so funny...

... although I would have to admit, being a guy I would be slightly uncomfortable... lol
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Oh my god - that would be so funny...

... although I would have to admit, being a guy I would be slightly uncomfortable... lol
we had guys at the last one i went to in the uk ...we all had a great time, the guys esp
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You've peaked my interest now. What is an "Ann Summers" party?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - and to go back to the TV thing, its perfectly OK to have people getting killed, blown up, hacked up and any other violence you can think off...
Yes, but you still can't say "****" on broadcast television in the US ...

... and amazingly enough apparently you can't say it in this forum either ...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You've peaked my interest now. What is an "Ann Summers" party?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Summers
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Oooh..I like those! Always leave with something, er uh, fun.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we had guys at the last one i went to in the uk ...we all had a great time, the guys esp
... hmm - could be interesting
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

... hmm - could be interesting

In my experience, the ones where your OH attends are usually the most fun.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:19 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Jack Nicholson's got an old gag about it being OK to slice a tit off in a movie, but if you kiss it, you're in trouble.

(I'm paraphrasing).
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:11 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Jack Nicholson's got an old gag about it being OK to slice a tit off in a movie, but if you kiss it, you're in trouble.

(I'm paraphrasing).
that is so true. And it does my head in.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:18 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Nudity on TV? haven't seen ANY since I have been in the US, and when they have nudity, its blurred out.
So you obviously don't have premium cable them. No such censorship on HBO, Showtime, etc.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
So you obviously don't have premium cable them. No such censorship on HBO, Showtime, etc.
HBO and Showtime are so superior to anything on network TV. The worst thing we ever did was sign up for them - there's no going back now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.