Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are proxy servers dangerous?

Are proxy servers dangerous?

Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

drew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to alldrew&venna is a name known to all
Exclamation Are proxy servers dangerous?

I really want to have access to Ch.4 On Demand and BBC iPlayer et al, but am nervous about using a proxy server. What are the down sides?

thank you!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are proxy servers dangerous?

Originally Posted by drew&venna
I really want to have access to Ch.4 On Demand and BBC iPlayer et al, but am nervous about using a proxy server. What are the down sides?

thank you!
No downsides to using one really. It might slow you down but that all depends on your connection that day. One thing to note is that most work environments won't allow you to set up your browser this way since it's a way to get around filters they have set up to block certain web sites they deem harmful to the organization. You'll most likely use a proxy server at home. I wish I could recommend one to you. Have fun looking for one.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck finding one that will actually be fast enough to use those things. I use proxys a fair bit and have no problems, however whatever you do on them can be tracked.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Well speaking as a Systems Administrator I can say using a proxy server is no more dangerous than using your local internet service provider connection, in all cases your traffic 'could' be tracked and logged but in practice, most internet service providers or proxy administrators dont have the time or resources to look through multiple gigabytes of log files for no good reason.

The downside of a proxy, is by the nature of what it is, you will not see internet speeds (throughput) of what your internet service is capable of, which is due to:

(a) latacy between your computer to the proxy.
(b) latacy between the proxy to whatever site your attempting to access.

The BBC, ITV and C4 all have simular hosting platforms, which are purposely firewalled to keep only 'local' (UK IP based) customers on their sites which is largely due to a legality/entertainment rights issue.

Because of the nature of the content which is usually a mpeg stream of some sort from these sites, the latacy issue will determine how much throughput you will see and ultimately what the quality of the stream will be. Also note that many of these sites, are starting to blacklist ip ranges of proxy services which ultimately may render access by whoever is hosting your proxy useless.

It is possible to download and host your own proxy server (if you have access to a computer in the UK), however how well it works will depend on the speed that your ISP provisions for upstream (upload). If you go this route, make sure you enabled authentication (username and password) so your not opening yourself up to the entire world.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Dangerous if the poxy server falls on your head .,..or toes ...
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

I'd be surprised if you find one that works -- they are quite sophisticated at realizing when you are abroad and trying to access the iPlayer via a Proxy.

What we need is to work on a campaign to persuade the BBC to give us access to the iPlayer for an annual fee, e.g. to allow expats to pay the licence fee and then gain access.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
I'd be surprised if you find one that works -- they are quite sophisticated at realizing when you are abroad and trying to access the iPlayer via a Proxy.

What we need is to work on a campaign to persuade the BBC to give us access to the iPlayer for an annual fee, e.g. to allow expats to pay the licence fee and then gain access.
You'd think some executive at the BBC would have said something along those lines. I don't see why they wouldn't do it. Oh that's right. It's because THIS has common sense thinking behind it.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

iPlayer, can not differentiate between a direct client or proxied connection, as the tcp connection comes from the proxy. They can however track incoming connections and from connection counts, can probably work out what hosts are probable proxy's and hence blacklist them.

It's more about digital royalty/entertainment rights more than anything else. The royalty rights to programming are often specific only to the UK and do not extend internationally. Some of the programming is not produced directly by the BBC and therefore the BBC can not distribute it internationally, without some form of royalty agreement or digital rights agreement in place with the producer/studio of content. That's the main reason the BBC are firewalling their video hosting enviroments. I do believe they are planning on ways they can open this up internationally, and I think in time as digital internet broadcasting becomes more mainstream, these rights issues will extend internationally. Of course in the case of the BBC, its funded by the general public via the Television Licence, so thats another can of worms.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldobson
It's more about digital royalty/entertainment rights more than anything else. The royalty rights to programming are often specific only to the UK and do not extend internationally. Some of the programming is not produced directly by the BBC and therefore the BBC can not distribute it internationally, without some form of royalty agreement or digital rights agreement in place with the producer/studio of content. That's the main reason the BBC are firewalling their video hosting enviroments. I do believe they are planning on ways they can open this up internationally, and I think in time as digital internet broadcasting becomes more mainstream, these rights issues will extend internationally. Of course in the case of the BBC, its funded by the general public via the Television Licence, so thats another can of worms.
That's exactly right. BBC America doesn't want you watching next seasons prime shows before they get to show them and that sort of thing as well as the contracts about who gets paid what when X is shown. If you actually look at the iPlayer although there is a lot of stuff on there, there isn't anywhere near the whole lineup of stuff the BBC shows. They have problems with rights rebroadcasting shows in the UK that were originally shown in the UK, showing internationally is infinitely worse.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

iPlayer, can not differentiate between a direct client or proxied connection, as the tcp connection comes from the proxy. They can however track incoming connections and from connection counts, can probably work out what hosts are probable proxy's and hence blacklist them.

I agree on the proxy issue; what I mean is that they have already sniffed out all the (public) proxies people might be using and blacklisted them.

I agree also on the rights / royalties issue, though I think that a deal could be worked out whereby expats could gain access to the iPlayer by paying the licence fee, thereby including the expats in whatever arrangements they were making. It could easily be done on the analogy with the BBC Radio iPlayer, where most of the content is available, but some sports and so on are not available because of rights deals.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
That's exactly right. BBC America doesn't want you watching next seasons prime shows before they get to show them and that sort of thing as well as the contracts about who gets paid what when X is shown. If you actually look at the iPlayer although there is a lot of stuff on there, there isn't anywhere near the whole lineup of stuff the BBC shows. They have problems with rights rebroadcasting shows in the UK that were originally shown in the UK, showing internationally is infinitely worse.
Agreed, though I don't think BBC America is that much of an issue -- it's not aimed at expats but rather a small American market who might be flicking through their channels -- it's tailored to them, I'd say.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed, though I don't think BBC America is that much of an issue -- it's not aimed at expats but rather a small American market who might be flicking through their channels -- it's tailored to them, I'd say.
That's not the point. It's any TV channel that shows BBC programs. When they sign a deal they sign it saying they will be the first to show the episodes by any form of media. If people can watch it online via the iPlayer before they show it on the TV that's a breach of contract. It would be the same with SciFi and the current Dr Who series or any other channel in the world. They want people in whatever country to have to watch the shows on their channel so they can sell advertising and all that junk.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Redwood is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told (but have not verified) that iplayer will work from the US on a MAC with Safari browser loaded. Note sure why that woudl be given BBC are looking at the IP.
Does any one know for sure?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Redwood
I was told (but have not verified) that iplayer will work from the US on a MAC with Safari browser loaded. Note sure why that woudl be given BBC are looking at the IP.
Does any one know for sure?
Nope, it doesn't work with a mac/safari. I just tried it....
Old Jul 26th 2008, 12:07 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

....... Dont get me started again...... There are various ways that an application can tell if its being proxied.....