Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Private Elementary schools - Houston?

Private Elementary schools - Houston?

Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

FavFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private Elementary schools - Houston?

Can anyone tell me if there are any private elementary schools in Sugarland and Katy in Houston...that aren't religious?

And for that matter...do the state run schools tend to be religious too?

Appreciate any advice. TIA, Fi.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Elementary schools - Houston?

Originally Posted by FavFi
Can anyone tell me if there are any private elementary schools in Sugarland and Katy in Houston...that aren't religious?

Public schools are not supposed to be religious....

But it really depends on where you live and even then the more liberal the area doesn't always mean there is not going to be a spattering of religious mumbo jumbo. They do try, specifically not referring to anything around Christmas as Christmas. The same with Easter.... But there are always, especially in the South, going to be some religious zealot that feels taking away prayer in school was the downfall of society as we know it.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate any advice. .......
The British School of Houston. We looked at one of its sister schools, and were very impressed. It wasn't quite what we were looking for, but it is certainly Plan B if Plan A does not work out.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 20th 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The British School of Houston. We looked at one of its sister schools, and were very impressed. It wasn't quite what we were looking for, but it is certainly Plan B if Plan A does not work out.
hi Pulaski - what's the sister school of the BSH? Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

hi Pulaski - what's the sister school of the BSH? Thanks!
The same company manages five other "British American" schools in other cities. We looked at one of the others.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

The same company manages five other "British American" schools in other cities. We looked at one of the others.
Hi Pulaski - how can I find out what these schools are? Can't seem to see anything via Google? Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Pulaski - you said 'other cities'…wasn't reading properly! Cheers!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:21 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the city-data.com discussion forum for Houston and then search for British School. There are quite a few threads with the names of the different private school and lots of review and opinions. Our dude started at the local elementary in 4th grade and we are really happy with the education he has received. He is now in High School and studying for his High School Diploma and Associates Degree simultaneously.

If we were only here for a year or so we might have done one of the international schools (but only if hubbys employers were paying).

And no, there is no religious eduction is state school.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But Texas.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._movement.html
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

As Amerlisa said, the public schools here are supposed to stay well away from religion (Winter Break, rather than Christmas etc), even to the point of there being virtually no instruction on religions of the world, which to my mind would be useful. A lot easier to understand different cultures if you have a knowledge of their system of beliefs, even if you don't actually follow those beliefs.

You certainly don't need to worry about the kids being indoctrinated into a religion at school (too busy learning the Pledge of Allegiance ). I think in one of the early elementary years they do a project on Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa etc. My eldest is in 7th grade, and he did a few hours last year on World Religion, but they barely skimmed the surface - a few bullet points on who is worshipped, where it is practiced, main concept and that was it. I don't know whether there is any more coming later on, but I suspect not.

There is a growing charter school group here called Harmony Schools, which gives a more science based curriculum. Don't know a lot about them, but if you google you should find plenty of info. A while back they were in the news because "some folk" thought they were trying to indoctrinate people into "Middle Eastern" viewpoints because the founder is Turkish A boy in my Cub Den goes to one, and I have to say, his scientific knowledge and thinking is way ahead of the other boys in the den.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 5:54 pm

Sorry Pulaski - you said 'other cities'…wasn't reading properly! Cheers!
Yeah, and all (I think) are a long way from Texas.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Ah yes...Texas.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

It was we wish you a merry christmnas and a happy hanukkah at my sons holiday presentation.

Such a dysfunctional country
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
It was we wish you a merry christmnas and a happy hanukkah at my sons holiday presentation.

Such a dysfunctional country
When you try and satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

When you try and satisfy everyone, you satisfy no one.
Anyone know if the private elementary schools are mostly religious? I've done some research and it looks that way…but I'm not sure. Any help will be much appreciated. TIA. Fi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.