Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry "considering US Citizenship"

Prince Harry "considering US Citizenship"

Old Feb 16th 2024, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prince Harry "considering US Citizenship"

Does that mean he has a green card now? Or has had one for 3 years?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/prince-harry-tv-interview-good-morning-america-will-reeve-charles-meghan-b1139529.html

I assumed he was still O1 or something like that.

Old Feb 16th 2024, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry "considering US Citizenship"

As he married an American would presume he has a green card by now (5 years married).
Old Feb 16th 2024, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As he married an American would presume he has a green card by now (5 years married).
I seem to remember when he first moved there was a big song and dance that he wouldn't seek a green card and there was some debate over his status.

Isn't it true if he becomes a USC he loses his titles?
Old Feb 16th 2024, 4:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
I seem to remember when he first moved there was a big song and dance that he wouldn't seek a green card and there was some debate over his status.

Isn't it true if he becomes a USC he loses his titles?
it’s probably more nuance than that… Oath of Allegiance policy below… but as to if that would trigger any change on the UK side, who knows…

. Renunciation of Title or Order of Nobility

Any applicant who has any titles of heredity or positions of nobility in any foreign state must renounce the title or the position. The applicant must expressly renounce the title in a public ceremony and USCIS must record the renunciation as part of the proceedings.[5] Failure to renounce the title of position shows a lack of ”

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...%20proceedings.
Old Feb 18th 2024, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

He must be here on a diplomatic visa. That would make him exempt from the IRS. I can't really imagine he or his family would want for him to completely reveal his money sources and amounts. The family may have been preparing him for this by moving his assets to US based accounts for the last few years. If he lost his diplomatic status and went the green card route, would the IRS's taxation interests start that day? Would they also want an explanation of where and how the assets came from? Moving large amounts of money from one country to another is unfortunately something I've never had to deal with. 😁
Old Feb 19th 2024, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkeller
He must be here on a diplomatic visa. That would make him exempt from the IRS. I can't really imagine he or his family would want for him to completely reveal his money sources and amounts. The family may have been preparing him for this by moving his assets to US based accounts for the last few years. If he lost his diplomatic status and went the green card route, would the IRS's taxation interests start that day? Would they also want an explanation of where and how the assets came from? Moving large amounts of money from one country to another is unfortunately something I've never had to deal with. 😁
I vaguely remember that when he first moved they suggested he no longer had a diplomatic passport as he's not a 'working royal' - so not sure how he could have A status without that.
Old Feb 19th 2024, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember that when he first moved they suggested he no longer had a diplomatic passport as he's not a 'working royal' - so not sure how he could have A status without that.
Why would he need to go to all the effort of a diplomatic visa/O1 visa or any other 'qualifying' visa?
He married a US citizen; she sponsors him and he gets his green card immediately he sets foot in the US - sorted.
Old Feb 19th 2024, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why would he need to go to all the effort of a diplomatic visa/O1 visa or any other 'qualifying' visa?
He married a US citizen; she sponsors him and he gets his green card immediately he sets foot in the US - sorted.
I'm pretty sure he said in 2020 that he wasn't getting a greencard, but that might have changed I guess.
Old Feb 19th 2024, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Income tax. It's not like Harry is personally taking care of getting visa's, those royal types have staff for everything. It's one the things that made me just shake my head when watching "The Crown". The queen really needed people to dress her, physically put cloths on her, button her buttons, zip her zippers??
Old Feb 19th 2024, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Income tax. It's not like Harry is personally taking care of getting visa's, those royal types have staff for everything. It's one the things that made me just shake my head when watching "The Crown". The queen really needed people to dress her, physically put cloths on her, button her buttons, zip her zippers??
He wouldn't qualify for a diplomatic visa though, he's working independently/commercially and not working for the UK government. I agree with SDG, I think he must be on a green card, particularly as he's talking about possibly applying for citizenship.
Old Feb 19th 2024, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

https://www.chavinimmigration.com/ne...-of-state-visa

Looks like just being a royal family member is all it takes and doesn't matter if he's working independently from British government or not. Maybe someone with a law degree here can chime in?
Old Feb 19th 2024, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.chavinimmigration.com/ne...-of-state-visa

Looks like just being a royal family member is all it takes and doesn't matter if he's working independently from British government or not. Maybe someone with a law degree here can chime in?
Interesting.

I don’t think he has any intentions of becoming a USC because he would have to relinquish his royal titles.
Old Feb 21st 2024, 11:50 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I guess his drug use didn't slow the process down any..

Funny that.
Old Feb 21st 2024, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutek
I guess his drug use didn't slow the process down any..

Funny that.
I was thinking about this - it's not like he's been convicted. Does writing it in a book count as a legal admission of guilt?
Old Feb 21st 2024, 12:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about this - it's not like he's been convicted. Does writing it in a book count as a legal admission of guilt?
I guess he could go with "I didn't really do that, I'm a self-confessed liar" instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.