Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The price for riding Life Flight

The price for riding Life Flight

Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation The price for riding Life Flight

The first bill arrived today for M's life saving hospital trip.

$15,534.50 for his ride in a helicopter

The flight only took 15 minutes!!

Insurance have not paid any of it and we have to appeal. It is going to be a long and interesting few weeks especially when the other bills start arriving..

Happy New Year
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The price for riding Life Flight

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The first bill arrived today for M's life saving hospital trip.

$15,534.50 for his ride in a helicopter

The flight only took 15 minutes!!

Insurance have not paid any of it and we have to appeal. It is going to be a long and interesting few weeks especially when the other bills start arriving..

Happy New Year
Ah yes, land of the free, best health care on earth, etc.

a) Appeal to insurance and

b) Negotiate with whoever runs the life flight thing. It won't be the first time they have had a customer who can't pay and they may have options.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Ah yes, land of the free, best health care on earth, etc.

a) Appeal to insurance and

b) Negotiate with whoever runs the life flight thing. It won't be the first time they have had a customer who can't pay and they may have options.

The hospital he was flown to "own" the helicopter, they have 4 of them.

I will call them, I am sure they are used to people panicking over their bills. Scares you enough to give you a heart attack

Nothing is going to be paid until we know what the insurance is covering and then I imagine a payment plan will be put in place..

I will not gripe too much, I have my man, he is almost mended and that is all that matters
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:46 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a thing about how it works, but I *hope* you can sit back and wait for all the bills, then let the insurance company do the negotiating. You will doubtless hit your out of pocket limit, regardless. Hopefully that is all there is to it

Out of interest, who decides on a a life flight vs ambulance? I guess you called 911 and that's what turned up?

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 1:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RICH
I don't know a thing about how it works, but I *hope* you can sit back and wait for all the bills, then let the insurance company do the negotiating. You will doubtless hit your out of pocket limit, regardless. Hopefully that is all there is to it

Out of interest, who decides on a a life flight vs ambulance? I guess you called 911 and that's what turned up?

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.
When I called 911 our local EMS guys arrived in an ambulance. They called LifeFlight, and I am thankful they did. They do have certain criteria, they used a portable EKG on him and the "suspected heart attack" was then a definite with the results.

The EMS guys had to take him in the ambulance 3 blocks up the road to the Firehouse as that is the landing area for Lifeflight. They also have to call out the volunteer firefighters as they have to be there during landing and take off of the helicopter. The local Sherrif department also send out a patrol car to make sure everything is ok as well. So at 3 in the morning our small country road is swarming with big vehicles with flashing lights.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

When I called 911 our local EMS guys arrived in an ambulance. They called LifeFlight, and I am thankful they did. They do have certain criteria, they used a portable EKG on him and the "suspected heart attack" was then a definite with the results.

The EMS guys had to take him in the ambulance 3 blocks up the road to the Firehouse as that is the landing area for Lifeflight. They also have to call out the volunteer firefighters as they have to be there during landing and take off of the helicopter. The local Sherrif department also send out a patrol car to make sure everything is ok as well. So at 3 in the morning our small country road is swarming with big vehicles with flashing lights.
You will be popular with the neighbours, waking them up at 3 in the morning.

I hope M is doing well.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the fire departments in my area are volunteer companies. Make an annual donation you pay relatively modest fee should you need an ambulance. Do not make a donation wave goodbye to your arm and leg
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I have my man, he is almost mended and that is all that matters
So pleased to hear that, hopefully he will be fully mended very soon.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang that is expensive. Stories like this make me happy I am in Canada...

Air Ambulance is a flat $80 dollars here if your covered by MSP, or 2,500 per hour if not covered.

More then likely the provider will work something out with you if you can't pay or insurance wont pay, key is staying in contact with them on a regular basis and not make them feel like your ignoring it.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
Most of the fire departments in my area are volunteer companies. Make an annual donation you pay relatively modest fee should you need an ambulance. Do not make a donation wave goodbye to your arm and leg
We pay a voluntary $4 each month, it's tagged onto our utility bill. We've been doing that now for nearly 25years so maybe will be taken into consideration when they bill for the ambulance
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:02 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Hope the final figure is a lot less than that. A lot lot less. I know he's worth it, but a lot less would be better.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:45 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, who needs that type of stress after they've been ill? Glad he's on the mend.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy system.

Hope M's continuing to recover well.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Today's mail had the bill for the hospital stay, the emergency surgical procedure and ICU for 4 days.......drum roll......are you ready......

a grand total of $86,452.35 (35cents????...must have been the band aid I asked for when M's IV was leaking)

Insurance is pending, so with yesterday's $15,534.50 and todays bill we are at a total of....$101,986.85 so far. I know there will be others and we haven't even got to the second hospital stay yet and the other stent procedure
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You can always look on the bright side. Now you have enough material to finish your novel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.