a thoroughly modern president
75.51%
a dork
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

President Obama

Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default President Obama

Not quite sure what to make of Barry...I mean Barack. Back in the heady days of 2008, like many, I figured he would be a revolutionary president, but now at the tale end of his presidency, I wonder how he will be judged. Other than the healthcare bill, and not escalating any wars, has he achieved that much? And these recent media appearances, hiking with Bear Gryllis, hanging out with Jerry Seinfeld, is that really the best use of his time? He still has a year to go, God knows what antics he will be up to by next Fall, and what he is going to do post-presidency? Talk show host?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 12:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Obama

He was hamstrung by a hostile Congress for almost his entire Presidency which didn't help thanks to the polarisation of American politics which started under Bush and has continued unabated.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really need a third option: c) both of the above. I was reading this earlier. Now I don't know what the publication is like and only know what I see in the news obviously but it seemed pretty spot on to me. However I don't live in the US so what do I know.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:01 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Just taking the "temperature" around the world, it seems virtually every President / PM / Leader is now considered a "dork" who has achieved nothing. Despite some of them achieving quite remarkable things.

A rather well-off acquaintance recently ranted to me about how poor and under threat we all are - because of "them" and "their" failures. Now, this is man whose life clearly doesn't suck. 2 lovely homes, nice family, wants for little. But apparently, he's a "victim" of "them" and "their" failure to " do anything". Just like what we read in the papers, see on tv, and in campaign ads.

Based on that philosophy, I reckon if you didn't get something you wanted in the past decade, then no doubt "they" are responsible for that failure, and to add insult, it's unfair that someone got something you didn't.

I was hoping for a yacht. But "they" never gave me one. I was also expecting world peace, but "they" didn't manage that either. Bunch of no-good do-nothings.

So I'm going to vote against all incumbents, their opposition, their parties, and anybody that even looks like them. Regardless of whether they actually achieved anything I wanted or not.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Dork means socially inept I think. Obama is certainly not that. Not quite such a charmer as Clinton, but not a dork. And is thoroughly modern president good or bad? I think Obama did pretty well. Pity he didn't close Guantanamo, but at least he slimmed it down.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Dork means socially inept I think. Obama is certainly not that. Not quite such a charmer as Clinton, but not a dork. And is thoroughly modern president good or bad? I think Obama did pretty well. Pity he didn't close Guantanamo, but at least he slimmed it down.
I concur. Not the charmer Clinton was, but also not the problem Clinton was. Not a whiff of scandal or "boys-will-be-boys" sniggers for Obama.

IMO, he has restored a sense of dignity, sensitivity, and intellectual rigour to the White House that the last few presidential regimes have sorely, sorely lacked. He has been tested and has come through....
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it can be socially inept, but also just a bit out of place/awkward. As a person, he never seems awkward, pretty cool actually, but as a head of state, sometimes I find his recent antics a bit too casual.

A thoroughly modern president is a good thing.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:46 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

What are the events that might qualify a presidency as being revolutionary these days?

- unprecedented and accelerated economic growth?
- wholesale prison system reform?
- healthcare reform?
- introduction of serious gun control?

As BritInPrais observes, without Congress it's difficult to get much done at all.
To my mind, he has performed a decent job given the circumstances. ACA doesn't solve the whole problem but is a huge start on tackling one of the biggest and most divisive issues in the US. He has also made huge steps in equality with gay marriage, improved foreign relations and successfully navigated us out of the Bush depression.

Of course, there are also disappointments, but no president is going to make everyone happy. I give him a B+. He needs to cut the cr@p with the recent media appearances, though.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:23 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Obama inherited a mess when he became President, probably the worst mess since Roosevelt inherited after Hoover left office.

IMO Obama has done a pretty good job especially since he's had to deal with a largely hostile Congress influenced to a considerable extent by a bunch of far right Tea Bagger Nuts. I also believe that Obama is basically a decent man who was concerned enough about the situation of millions of Americans who were without health insurance of any kind.

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 1st 2016 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not quite sure what to make of Barry...I mean Barack. Back in the heady days of 2008, like many, I figured he would be a revolutionary president, but now at the tale end of his presidency, I wonder how he will be judged. Other than the healthcare bill, and not escalating any wars, has he achieved that much? And these recent media appearances, hiking with Bear Gryllis, hanging out with Jerry Seinfeld, is that really the best use of his time? He still has a year to go, God knows what antics he will be up to by next Fall, and what he is going to do post-presidency? Talk show host?
He changed the US relationship with Cuba and Iran, both long overdue. Would not have happened under a NeoConservative/GOP presidency.

Obama has kept the US out of Syria ( boots on the ground). If we had a GOP White house or Hillary at the helm , we would be knee deep in Syria. Obama strikes me as rather cautious and non interventionist, compared to all the other major candidates.

The ACA really should have been single payer but guess he couldn't get that so had to compromise.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:00 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
He changed the US relationship with Cuba and Iran, both long overdue. Would not have happened under a NeoConservative/GOP presidency.

Obama has kept the US out of Syria ( boots on the ground). If we had a GOP White house or Hillary at the helm , we would be knee deep in Syria. Obama strikes me as rather cautious and non interventionist, compared to all the other major candidates.

The ACA really should have been single payer but guess he couldn't get that so had to compromise.
Yes, very good point on Iran and Cuba. The way the GOP perceives Iran beggars belief.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, very good point on Iran and Cuba. The way the GOP perceives Iran beggars belief.
Especially when you consider that it is Saudi-Arabia, Qatar and Pakistan that cause all the trouble with support for the Taleban, Al Qaeda and the Whahabi ideology that drives all these Jihadi groups. The GOP takes its marching orders on MidEast foreign policy from Israel's rightwing.

There are moderate Israelis who aren't enamored with the intrasigence attitude of the Netanyahu government but the GOP unquestionably supports Bibi over Obama, ergo the welcome mat the GOP rolled out for Bibi's speech in Congress against Obama's Iran deal
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 6:24 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Republicans think that Israel is the 51st State
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 7:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Maybe the Republicans think that Israel is the 51st State
Britain has been relegated to colonial status!

Old Jan 2nd 2016, 8:31 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Britain has been relegated to colonial status!

By who? The US or the EU?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.