A poll for readers

Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:25 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default A poll for readers

I came across this poll about what readers want to read, and I think many of the people filling it in will be writers, so I was thinking there'd be some readers-only here to balance things. It's short and easy and there are no commercial angles.

http://kate-harrison.com/reader-survey-2012

I wonder what sort of books readers here like to read. The media keep saying no one reads any more, but I find many people I talk to do.

I like romance, the cosier mysteries, and funny books with a bit of substance, like Terry Pratchett.

Bev
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A poll for readers

Originally Posted by Bevm
I came across this poll about what readers want to read, and I think many of the people filling it in will be writers, so I was thinking there'd be some readers-only here to balance things. It's short and easy and there are no commercial angles.

http://kate-harrison.com/reader-survey-2012

I wonder what sort of books readers here like to read. The media keep saying no one reads any more, but I find many people I talk to do.

I like romance, the cosier mysteries, and funny books with a bit of substance, like Terry Pratchett.

Bev
Oh I read, read, read...have done since I was about 11 years old many moons ago, my Mum did but really not anyone else in our immediate family, our youngest loves to read but not really our oldest. I read anything (except romance, no thats a fib I liked the Twighlight series) Thrillers, Mystery and some of the lighter classics (yep that bit surprises me as well lol) I like James Patterson, Michael Cordy,Paul Christopher and also George R Martin....
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My mum walked us to the library every Saturday morning.
From my youth I remember:

The Famous Five
The Secret Seven
Mrs Pepperpot
The Wishing Chair
The Magic Faraway Tree
St Clare's
Mallory Towers
Nancy Drew

When I came to Italy, English books were hard to find, very expensive and mostly classics which I'd read at school - so I used to buy anything and everything from charity shops in the UK, take books from my mum and sisters and developed different tastes.

Never have liked Sci-Fi much though.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
My mum walked us to the library every Saturday morning.
From my youth I remember:

The Famous Five
The Secret Seven
Mrs Pepperpot
The Wishing Chair
The Magic Faraway Tree
St Clare's
Mallory Towers
Nancy Drew

When I came to Italy, English books were hard to find, very expensive and mostly classics which I'd read at school - so I used to buy anything and everything from charity shops in the UK, take books from my mum and sisters and developed different tastes.

Never have liked Sci-Fi much though.
Your reading list was the same as mine.
My mum would take my book away and send me outside on sunny days. It was quite the punishment.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

These are my most recent reads, but most of my books are in this genre and have been for yeas. A long time ago I was an avid reader of pre revolution Russian novels, favourite of which was 'The Idiot'.

I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance -Chris McCormack.

A Life Wthout Limits- Chrissie Wellington
Heart of a Champion- Greg Welch
The Man Who Cycled the World- Mark Beaumont
French Revoltions- Tim Moore
Put Me Back on my Bike- William Fotheringham
30 Years of the Ironman Triathlon World Championship - Bob Babbitt

I don't get out much
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I love really well-written psychological thrillers. "No Night is too Long" by Barbara Vine is one of my all-time favorites (what a twist!), but currently I'm hooked on Sophie Hannah and also a new writer whose first novel was called 'Sister.' I'm drawing a blank on her name, but the book is awesome.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:26 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

I love fantasy fiction, but I'm tremendously picky! These days (mostly thanks to Stephanie Meyer the author of the godawful Twilight series) fantasy has really taken a turn for the worse.

I love Terry Pratchett, David Eddings, and Juliet Marillier. Patricia McKillip isn't bad (but her books are v e r y slow paced. They don't always grab me although they're always well written.)

I think it's because I love the artistic, poetic and perfect use of language, with a bit of cleverness in the plot and style- is that too much to ask? Apparently so since here in the American book market, it's like pulling teeth trying to find anything that I can even stand to read.

/rant.

Sorry, it's just that I sincerely love reading- I always have, and not being able to tolerate more than 3 seconds of any book before throwing it away in disgust at one or more ridiculous errors or faux pas that managed to get printed makes me just sick.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8
I love fantasy fiction, but I'm tremendously picky! These days (mostly thanks to Stephanie Meyer the author of the godawful Twilight series) fantasy has really taken a turn for the worse.

I love Terry Pratchett, David Eddings, and Juliet Marillier. Patricia McKillip isn't bad (but her books are v e r y slow paced. They don't always grab me although they're always well written.)

I think it's because I love the artistic, poetic and perfect use of language, with a bit of cleverness in the plot and style- is that too much to ask? Apparently so since here in the American book market, it's like pulling teeth trying to find anything that I can even stand to read.

/rant.

Sorry, it's just that I sincerely love reading- I always have, and not being able to tolerate more than 3 seconds of any book before throwing it away in disgust at one or more ridiculous errors or faux pas that managed to get printed makes me just sick.
Juliet Marillier is my favourite author. I have great admiration for her as a writer... her use of words and her facility with the structure of language are inspiring. I thought about writing until I read her books.

I'm just finishing Foxmask then I think I have read everything that she has written.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8

/rant.

I'm with you on this one Tel8.

When I was a commuter in Vancouver, I used to go through stacks of books on tape to make the journey more interesting (sometimes I didn't want to get out of my car ). I came across "The Four Letters of Love" by Niall Williams. It was so beautifully written that it was as if the words were singing to me.

Here is what the first review I came across had to say about the book:

"How touched by fate's benevolent hand you feel when you chance across a novel so achingly beautiful as Niall Williams' Four Letters of Love."
Old May 8th 2012, 5:27 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
Juliet Marillier is my favourite author. I have great admiration for her as a writer... her use of words and her facility with the structure of language are inspiring. I thought about writing until I read her books.

I'm just finishing Foxmask then I think I have read everything that she has written.
Ah! Me too! LOL - I really loved everything she's done!

Originally Posted by bandrui
I'm with you on this one Tel8.

When I was a commuter in Vancouver, I used to go through stacks of books on tape to make the journey more interesting (sometimes I didn't want to get out of my car ). I came across "The Four Letters of Love" by Niall Williams. It was so beautifully written that it was as if the words were singing to me.

Here is what the first review I came across had to say about the book:

"How touched by fate's benevolent hand you feel when you chance across a novel so achingly beautiful as Niall Williams' Four Letters of Love."
Sounds lovely! I'll have to have a look then!
Old May 9th 2012, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Sally simmons ... . It is Rosamund Lupton who wrote Sister. Great book. I love ...Sophie Hannah, Nicki French, Douglas Kennedy, Ken Follett, Barbara Vine, Margaret Yorke, Hans Fallada, biography, history, thrillers ....
Old May 9th 2012, 2:54 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
Sally simmons ... . It is Rosamund Lupton who wrote Sister. Great book. I love ...Sophie Hannah, Nicki French, Douglas Kennedy, Ken Follett, Barbara Vine, Margaret Yorke, Hans Fallada, biography, history, thrillers ....
I really enjoyed Sister. I like novels, mysteries and crime thrillers. Elizabeth George, Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly, Alexander McCall Smith, Donna Leon and Joanne Harris are some of my favourite authors.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the one. Fantastic!

Pombat, have you read any Sophie Hannah? If not, you're in for a treat
Old May 9th 2012, 1:09 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Sally, no I haven't read any of her books. I think I feel a trip to the library coming on!
Old May 19th 2012, 10:13 pm
Back home at last!

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Pombat, have you read any Sophie Hannah? If not, you're in for a treat
Sally, I just finished "The Wrong Mother" - wow! I can't wait to read the rest of Sophie Hannah's books, thank you for the recommendation! It is always so exciting to come across a new author, particularly when they have several books out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.