Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police and Education

Police and Education

Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police and Education

I thought I was well-educated till I started watching Cosmos
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:06 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm considerably more moderately well-read and mildly non-impoverished than the average bod, myself

Ah! But do you have a degree?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I certainly don't consider myself to be rich, far from it. Would need to be a millionaire to reach that title...
Where we live, we'd still be poor

Hell, I know some landscapers clear more in a few months than a lot of IT folks in a year
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Where we live, we'd still be poor

Hell, I know some landscapers clear more in a few months than a lot of IT folks in a year
The amount of snow the local Guatemalans cleared this winter, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd hit six figures either
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Some jobs for uneducated people pay quite well. Some even pay really nice pensions when the person retires.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Credentials (or lack thereof) of a few of the "Uneducated"

Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, U.S. president. Finished one year of formal schooling, self-taught himself trigonometry, and read Blackstone on his own to become a lawyer.

Andrew Carnegie, industrialist and philanthropist, and one of the first mega-billionaires in the US. Elementary school dropout.

Andrew Jackson, U.S. president, general, attorney, judge, congressman. Home-schooled. Became a practicing attorney by the age of 35 – without a formal education.

Ansel Adams, world-famous photographer. Dropped out of high school.

Barbara Lynch, chef, owner of a group of restaurants, worth over $10 million, in Boston. Dropped out of high school.

Barry Diller, billionaire, Hollywood mogul, Internet maven, founder of Fox Broadcasting Company, chairman of IAC/InterActive Corp (owner of Ask.com),

Benjamin Franklin, inventor, scientist, author, entrepreneur. Primarily home-schooled.

Charles Culpeper, owner and CEO of Coca Cola. Dropped out of high school.

Christopher Columbus, explorer, discoverer of new lands. Primarily home-schooled.

Coco Chanel, founder of fashion brand Chanel. A perfume bearing her name, Chanel No. 5 kept her name famous.

Colonel Harlan Sanders, founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). Dropped out of elementary school, later earned law degree by correspondence.

David Geffen, founder of Geffen Records and co-founder of DreamWorks. Dropped out of college after completing one year.

David Karp, founder of Tumblr. Dropped out of school at 15, then homeschooled. Did not attend college.

David Ogilvy, advertising executive and copywriter. Was expelled from Oxford University at the age of 20.

David Oreck, multimillionaire founder of The Oreck Corporation. Quit college to enlist in the Army Air Corps.

Dustin Moskovitz, multi-millionaire co-founder of Facebook. Harvard dropout.

Frank Lloyd Wright, the most influential architect of the twentieth century. Never attended college.

Frederick “Freddy” Laker, airline entrepreneur. High school dropout.

Frederick Henry Royce, auto designer, multimillionaire co-founder of Rolls-Royce. Dropped out of elementary school.

George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor, Kodak founder. Dropped out of high school.

Henry Ford, billionaire founder of Ford Motor Company. Did not attend college.

Henry J. Kaiser, multimillionaire & founder of Kaiser Aluminum. Dropped out of high school.

Isaac Merrit Singer, sewing machine inventor, founder of Singer. Elementary school dropout.

James Cameron, Oscar-winning director, screenwriter, and producer. Dropped out of college.

John D. Rockefeller Sr., billionaire founder of Standard Oil. Dropped out of high school just two months before graduating, though later took some courses at a local business school.

John Mackey, founder of Whole Foods. Enrolled and dropped out college six times.

Kirk Kerkorian, billionaire investor, owner of Mandalay Bay and Mirage Resorts, and MGM movie studio. Dropped out eighth-grade.

Larry Ellison, billionaire co-founder of Oracle software company. Dropped out of two different colleges.

Leandro Rizzuto, billionaire founder of Conair. Dropped out of college. Started Conair with $100 and hot-air hair roller invention.

Marcus Loew, multimillionaire founder of Loews theaters, co-founder of MGM movie studio. Elementary school dropout.

Michael Dell, billionaire founder of Dell Computers, which started out of his college dorm room. Dropped out of college.

Milton Hershey, founder of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate. 4th grade education.

Pete Cashmore, founder of Mashable.com at the age of 19.

Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Records, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Mobile, and more. Dropped out of high school at 16.

Richard DeVos, co-founder of Amway. Served in the Army and did not attend college.

Richard Schulze, Best Buy founder. Did not attend college.

Shawn Fanning, developer of Napster. Dropped out of college at the age of 19.

Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, billionaire. Did not complete college.

Thomas Edison, inventor of the lightbulb, phonograph, and more. Primarily home-schooled, then joined the railroad when he was only 12.

Tom Anderson, co-founder and “friend” of MySpace. Dropped out of high school.

Vidal Sassoon, founder of Vidal Sassoon, multimillionaire. Dropped out of high school.

Walt Disney, founder of the Walt Disney Company. Dropped out of high school at 16.

Wolfgang Puck, chef, owner of 16 restaurants and 80 bistros. Quit school at the age of 14.

And let's not forget the "Uneducated" Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That "uneducated" college-dropout plebe, James Cameron, could explain anything that flew by you, I'm sure. (See list in above post)
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Why? Are we in a police state? It's that kind of thinking that puts a country in one.
Not at all.

I am not suggesting that you treat police officers with any more respect or deference than anyone else but nor should you accord them any less.

The problem is that you are a self opinionated know-it-all who simply has to show off to everyone just how smart (and obnoxious) you are.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:07 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sick of reading this type list. It's full of holes, for example Bill Gates was a straight A student at *HARVARD* who was compelled to leave because the time was exactly right to create MSFT and enter the home software market. Same goes for Jobs, Zuckerburg and co. But continue with your silly list..
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Best bloody show on TV at the moment

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
I have some degree of further education. Does that count?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember when i was younger a possible career option presented at school was that of a police cadet. You had to meet certain physical requirements but the scheme allows young adults to serve on the pay-roll of their local police in a virtual apprenticeship, leading (in most cases) to subsequent enrollment as a full-time Police Constable.
The scheme has been phased out in England and Wales but is still in place in Scotland apparently.

Many of the most senior policemen in the United Kingdom, including many recent Commissioners of the Metropolitan Police Service, Commissioners of the City of London Police, and County Chief Constables, started their careers as full-time Police Cadets
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Best bloody show on TV at the moment
I'm a bit in love with Neil
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm a bit in love with Neil
Whoa girl....you just said you were in love with Stephen Colbert 5 minutes ago in another thread.
Oh well...it's spring, right?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD

Milton Hershey, founder of Hershey’s Milk Chocolate. 4th grade education.
Figures.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
Whoa girl....you just said you were in love with Stephen Colbert 5 minutes ago in another thread.
Oh well...it's spring, right?
You bagged him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.