Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police and Education

Police and Education

Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My own brush with Heart Attacks and US Healthcare ...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I disagree Bob. Like any job there is some need for education. I think he intended to slag them off by saying they were uneducated.
Doing a couple of A-levels does not mean someone's educated...unless finishing basic school is considered educated these days :/

Now, that's not the same thing as saying someone needs training or special skills, is it.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Doing a couple of A-levels does not mean someone's educated...unless finishing basic school is considered educated these days :/

Now, that's not the same thing as saying someone needs training or special skills, is it.
Do they even still do A-levels? I thought they'd all been dumbed down to those half-arsed AS-levels now you know, because if exams are too hard, perhaps only smart people might pass them and whoever heard of rewarding academic prowess at a centre of learning ... ?

I mean, really.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Police and Education

Seems unfair to clutter a healthcare thread, which was serious, with this cross post about cops, so moved them in here.

As you were.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Do they even still do A-levels? I thought they'd all been dumbed down to those half-arsed AS-levels now you know, because if exams are too hard, perhaps only smart people might pass them and whoever heard of rewarding academic prowess at a centre of learning ... ?

I mean, really.
I think you can still do a full A-level, or just double up the AS.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think you can still do a full A-level, or just double up the AS.
I suppose everyone's doing crap like media studies, sociology and politics these days, instead of real subjects like science and maths
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police and Education

What does a beat cop need A-levels for? Seems like it would be an arbitrary requirement to have anything above GCSE level. A greater understanding of the law should be required for anyone who really wants to rise up through the ranks, but other than that it seems pointless.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well technically when you made your statement, you were quoting Lansbury. Lansbury is a former (retired?) UK cop (Met maybe?). So it sort of was an insult directed at him..just my humble opinion.

I had a laugh when I read his usual asinine comments. When I joined I was one of very few, I recall about 3 who did not have a degree. I passed out of Hendon as top student from my intake. So much for not being educated.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
What does a beat cop need A-levels for? Seems like it would be an arbitrary requirement to have anything above GCSE level. A greater understanding of the law should be required for anyone who really wants to rise up through the ranks, but other than that it seems pointless.
The issue I have is that those at the lower ranks do not understand the 'big picture' of policing. That is, policing by consent. I once had a couple of PC's follow me home through my village as they thought I was speeding. I wasn't. I have a black box in my car that records every aspect of my driving, so I knew I wasn't speeding.

Yet, one of these coppers still decided to pull me over outside my own home and attempt to lecture me on speeding. I pointed to my black box with video recorder and informed him to not bother talking to me any further as I had not been speeding and the evidence was in that black box and already uploaded to my cloud server. I then asked to see calibration certificates for their panda car, whether a vascar/provida was fitted to allow a ACPO certified speed check. The copper then informed me that I seem to know 'a lot' about the law, essentially questioning WHY did I know so much about traffic law. He then proceeded to run a PNC check on me. When the background check came back, whatever flag was on (I had recently undergone DV clearance) it seemingly told him to leave me alone and he went packing without talking to me further.

It hadn't occurred once to this police officer than I may happen to be a lawyer (i'm not) who may know a little more than him (a lay person) about the law of England & Wales[1], he just assumed that I must have something to hide. It's that sort of behaviour that alienates people from the ever helping the police.

Bigger picture.

[1] Rule #1. NEVER ask a copper for legal advice. Ask a qualified lawyer.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 16th 2014 at 6:48 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I had a laugh when I read his usual asinine comments. When I joined I was one of very few, I recall about 3 who did not have a degree. I passed out of Hendon as top student from my intake. So much for not being educated.
Um, not sure how to tell you this, but 'Hendon Police College' is not a university. If you regard attending Hendon Police College as being 'educated', well, i'm sorry, but that's highlighting the problem right there. Probably why you still don't understand how a s172 works.

Anyway, your experience is frankly irrelevant as to those you were with who did or did not have a degree. The only statistic that counts is the country wide stat I quoted earlier.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 16th 2014 at 6:52 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Horace...you're certainly building up quite the "fan" club.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:23 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Um, not sure how to tell you this, but 'Hendon Police College' is not a university. If you regard attending Hendon Police College as being 'educated', well, i'm sorry, but that's highlighting the problem right there. Probably why you still don't understand how a s172 works.

Anyway, your experience is frankly irrelevant as to those you were with who did or did not have a degree. The only statistic that counts is the country wide stat I quoted earlier.
Horace, Lansbury never even attempted to compare Henley to a University! He was merely comparing himself, (with NO formal degree) to the majority of students in his class, (WITH formal degrees) and how he managed to pass them academically.
I believe he was referring to the fact that holding a degree does not necessarily mean you are more intelligent or have a greater capacity to learn (something I encounter almost daily), and providing personal evidence to back this up.

Come down off your horse a bit, I am struggling to see that high!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Horace, Lansbury never even attempted to compare Henley to a University! He was merely comparing himself, (with NO formal degree) to the majority of students in his class, (WITH formal degrees) and how he managed to pass them academically.
As I say, those are just the 'police' exams. They're not going to demonstrate actual performance in the field. Heck, I'm sure even Simon Harwood (a stain on the police service) could have passed Hendon.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Bigger picture.

[1] Rule #1. NEVER ask a copper for legal advice. Ask a qualified lawyer.
Even bigger picture:

Rule #0. Don't be an asshole - to anyone - not even (or perhaps, especially) to an "uneducated" policeman ...
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:41 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by md95065
Even bigger picture:

Rule #0. Don't be an asshole - to anyone - not even (or perhaps, especially) to an "uneducated" policeman ...
Only thermodynamics may have a zeroth rule.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Lets keep it easy so I can understand.
Attached Thumbnails Police and Education-thermo.jpg  

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 16th 2014 at 7:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.