Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police and Education

Police and Education

Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police and Education

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Some time in the mid-late 90s. That's when I was at high school and while I had many good (mostly old-school but a few new) teachers, I could sense at the time that changes were afoot that weren't for the best.

All that key stage nonsense and AS levels. Bollocks to it.
I got out of the country before all that hit. My friends from undergrad went through it, though (as teachers, I mean). Some of them are now about to retire and speak quite bitterly about that period. I think it took a lot of the joy out of teaching for them.

That was all I wanted to do at Uni. Well the science part. The type of maths associated with physics at degree level is headache inducing at the best of times.
I think the low point of my college career was learning how to do matrix algebra.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the low point of my college career was learning how to do matrix algebra.
Vector field theory did it for me. When you start to use w and v in addition to x, y and z as variables, something's gone wrong ...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I got out of the country before all that hit. My friends from undergrad went through it, though (as teachers, I mean). Some of them are now about to retire and speak quite bitterly about that period. I think it took a lot of the joy out of teaching for them.
Something my husband found a bit de-motivating was the number of students who get their marks adjusted upwards for spurious illnesses and other excuses which don't appear to bear scrutiny.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed those parts, the maths, which was fortunate since I'm a physicist.

However my original plan was to be an astronaut.

(I still shop at Wally World.)
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Something my husband found a bit de-motivating was the number of students who get their marks adjusted upwards for spurious illnesses and other excuses which don't appear to bear scrutiny.
That's a bit shite, that.

I did have my A-level chemistry teacher suggest I 'doctor' my results when one point on my graph on a particular experiment was out of line with the others

Originally Posted by hotscot
I enjoyed those parts, the maths, which was fortunate since I'm a physicist.

However my original plan was to be an astronaut.
I, as you know, was a physicist too but I hated the maths

My plan was to be an astronomer. While I appreciate the work of the engineers of this world, in creating the wonderful telescopes and getting probes into space, I really didn't need to know just how they did it!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I did have my A-level chemistry teacher suggest I 'doctor' my results when one point on my graph on a particular experiment was out of line with the others
Someone he works with now does that with their research
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:40 pm
I have a comma problem

I knew why he said it was OK in my case. It was an A-level assessed experiment and every single other data point fit the pattern and I probably just misread that one.

He knew his stuff though, had a Ph.D (two chemistry teachers in my school had Ph.Ds), was a research chemist all over the world. Apparently, if you're interested in this sort of thing, he was in one of the first groups to isolate a carbon cation, in the early 70s. Someone else did it for longer the next week

I liked him though, he was funny, interesting and he liked to swear in class. Great days ...
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

So much for peer-review when peer = fellow(ship) cheat
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I knew why he said it was OK in my case. It was an A-level assessed experiment and every single other data point fit the pattern and I probably just misread that one.

He knew his stuff though, had a Ph.D (two chemistry teachers in my school had Ph.Ds), was a research chemist all over the world. Apparently, if you're interested in this sort of thing, he was in one of the first groups to isolate a carbon cation, in the early 70s. Someone else did it for longer the next week

I liked him though, he was funny, interesting and he liked to swear in class. Great days ...

Originally Posted by MMcD
So much for peer-review when peer = fellow(ship) cheat
It's really shocking.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

It's really shocking.
Absolutely, as in tut, tut

Which leads to the question: Which "scholarly" Journal of this and "scientific" Journal of that is the dumb public to believe?

Best get it from Fox news then
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
Absolutely, as in tut, tut

Which leads to the question: Which "scholarly" Journal of this and "scientific" Journal of that is the dumb public to believe?

Best get it from Fox news then
A peer-review system has its flaws - areas are so specialized that few other people will have a good grasp of the work. Sometimes people get found out or whistleblown-on.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:41 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like our tech drawing teacher....he used to come and stand behind you and fix his piercing stare at the part of your drawing that was wrong. He wouldn't say anything, but he wouldn't move till you'd started correcting it. Ok when it's just regular class, but he used to do it during the exams as well Dad could never understand how I got an A in O level TD
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sounds like our tech drawing teacher....he used to come and stand behind you and fix his piercing stare at the part of your drawing that was wrong. He wouldn't say anything, but he wouldn't move till you'd started correcting it. Ok when it's just regular class, but he used to do it during the exams as well Dad could never understand how I got an A in O level TD
That's a good one, I like that approach