Plugs?????????

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

muttymutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plugs?????????

Hello all! Just wondered if any of you clever lot could tell me, if there is such a thing as a 2pin to 3pin plug?
we are currently living in Spain and are returning to the UK next Spring (fingers crossed) Since we've lived here we've bought quite a few electrical items, that we want to take back with us. Over here we can get the English to europe plugs (3pin to 2pin) but I have never seen the opposite.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanx in advance
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Plugs?????????

How about cutting the plugs off and adding UK ones when you get back (all DIY shops sell plugs).

Otherwise are your plugs shaver plug style, if they are B&Q (and probably other shops) do shaver to UK plug converters. We use these converters on a few German items we have.

HTH
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muttymutt
Hello all! Just wondered if any of you clever lot could tell me, if there is such a thing as a 2pin to 3pin plug?
we are currently living in Spain and are returning to the UK next Spring (fingers crossed) Since we've lived here we've bought quite a few electrical items, that we want to take back with us. Over here we can get the English to europe plugs (3pin to 2pin) but I have never seen the opposite.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanx in advance
Not sure, but you may find something here: http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/elect.htm

- they may only be US/rest of the world converters, but take a look see to be sure. A Spanish plug may fit into the 3G adaptor http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/3G.htm
Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

For low-power appliances you could use the "Shaver adapter" which is widely available in the U.K. at low cost:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ors/index.html

However, anything which is fitted with a Schuko plug (the round type with earth contacts on the side) shouldn't be used with anything but a proper Schuko adapter, otherwise you will be running with no earth.

Adapters for UK-to-Schuko are available, but many are of poor quality, bulky, and I can't really recommend them for anything but very occasional, temporary use.

It would be far better to just replace the Spanish plugs with British ones, and certainly cheaper than buying a dozen or more adapters to go around the house.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:43 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas anyone?

Thanx in advance
They sell tourist adapters in Dixons in UK. I bought one this summer. They convert two pin to UK three pin.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:18 am
DarrenD

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
They sell tourist adapters in Dixons in UK. I bought one this summer. They convert two pin to UK three pin.
You will need europe to UK tourist adapters. In the UK these are only 2 - 3 GBP each, but you should be able to get them in europe too.

If you have a lot of electrical items, consider bringing trailing sockets (the blocks on the end of a lead which give 4 sockets from one plug). That way, you only need to put the adapter on one plug, and get 4 european ones in return.

If you would rather rewire, UK plugs are very cheap, can be rewired easily, and you do not have to be certified to do it - anyone is allowed to (some other countries insist on an electrician doing it)

Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenD
You will need europe to UK tourist adapters. In the UK these are only 2 - 3 GBP each, but you should be able to get them in europe too.

If you have a lot of electrical items, consider bringing trailing sockets (the blocks on the end of a lead which give 4 sockets from one plug). That way, you only need to put the adapter on one plug, and get 4 european ones in return.

If you would rather rewire, UK plugs are very cheap, can be rewired easily, and you do not have to be certified to do it - anyone is allowed to (some other countries insist on an electrician doing it)
Thank you all very much! I think I typed before i thought!!!! Didin't think about just changing the plugs themselves!!!!!
Sorry, next time i'll try and be a bit more with it!!(story of my life!!)

PBC1966 can i just ask what part of norfolk you are in, as we are moving back there soon? Hopefully Norwich area, we are desparately looking for a plot of land to attempt a self build project
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 10:22 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't be arsed to change them all, you can pick up the adaptors in Bricoman.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

PBC1966 can i just ask what part of norfolk you are in, as we are moving back there soon? Hopefully Norwich area, we are desparately looking for a plot of land to attempt a self build project
I'm in a tiny dot on the map named Eccles-On-Sea, about 5 miles from Stalham, or 20-ish miles from Norwich. (Actually, it's a small dot which isn't on most maps! ).

If you want to look for real-estate around this area, you might try www.aldredsresidential.com
Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
I'm in a tiny dot on the map named Eccles-On-Sea, about 5 miles from Stalham, or 20-ish miles from Norwich. (Actually, it's a small dot which isn't on most maps! ).

If you want to look for real-estate around this area, you might try www.aldredsresidential.com

I remember Eccles. isn't it right on the cliffs?????
When I lived with my parents they used to go out for 'Sunday Drives' and we always ended up in Eccles!!
Thanks for the advice, we are trying to find a plot of land at the moment, but it seems that everyone else is as well!!!! Will give aldreds a look though.

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

I remember Eccles. isn't it right on the cliffs?????
I'm not sure you'd really call it cliffs, but yes, I can walk out of my back door and over the dunes right onto the top of the sea defenses and down onto the beach.

The land sits higher with some small cliffs a couple of miles north, at Happisburgh. In fact there's been a big fuss the last few years over the erosion which has been taking place. Some of the old chalets and mobile homes on the cliff edge have now gone, and about 100 ft. of land in some spots has disappeared over the edge in the last 2 or 3 years. The authority responsible just said they weren't going to bother to do anything about it.

Here at Eccles we're rather more fortunate, although we do have the problem of unpaved roads which tend to turn into swamps during winter.