Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Playing the Constitution card.

Playing the Constitution card.

Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing the Constitution card.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well, according to this Houston's crime index has decreased significantly since 2001 (667) to 2015 (514). I couldn't find any index for the '90's, but given the precipitous decline in the murder rate since the early '90's I would be surprised if the overall crime index wasn't higher then than in 2001. I completely agree that Houston is a pretty violent place even given this decline.

Crime in Houston, Texas (TX): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map

Edit: found this; scroll down to post 2; violent crime rate peaked in 1992 and had declined by almost a third by 2012. Unfortunately this link doesn't go past then:

The US crime rate peaked in 1991, what were the most dangerous cities then? - SkyscraperPage Forum

Yeh, but that is exactly the problem I posted a poll about earlier, namely that crime perceptions overwhelmingly are divergent with actual crime trends. "If it bleeds it leads".
One more explanation from me, you may find facts to dispute it but I'll give it a try.

Listening to the Houston news tonight I figured a lot of the violent crime is not Houston proper, a lot is the surrounding areas like Galveston county and Fort Bend and even Brazoria County but if you live around here you class them as Houston, I guess just as you class parts of Essex and Kent and Surrey as parts of London.

Houston has grown in the 28 years we have been here. North Brazoria County and Fort Bend were all rice farm fields and now they are the biggest growing communities in Texas. The more they grow the more crime grows.

I might be wrong. Your stats may include these areas. What I do know is I don't think I want to stay here if the population growth continues at the rate it is now
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
One more explanation from me, you may find facts to dispute it but I'll give it a try.

Listening to the Houston news tonight I figured a lot of the violent crime is not Houston proper, a lot is the surrounding areas like Galveston county and Fort Bend and even Brazoria County but if you live around here you class them as Houston, I guess just as you class parts of Essex and Kent and Surrey as parts of London.

Houston has grown in the 28 years we have been here. North Brazoria County and Fort Bend were all rice farm fields and now they are the biggest growing communities in Texas. The more they grow the more crime grows.

I might be wrong. Your stats may include these areas. What I do know is I don't think I want to stay here if the population growth continues at the rate it is now
Looks like compared to Houston itself crime is higher in Galveston County (mainly because of the city of Galveston), lower in Fort Bend and a lot lower in Brazoria. Plug in the appropriate zip codes into this:

Greater Houston Demographics & Statistics — Employment, Education, Income Averages, Crime in Greater Houston — Point2 Homes

For example:

Brazoria County Demographics & Statistics — Employment, Education, Income Averages, Crime in Brazoria County — Point2 Homes

As urban areas sprawl, you would certainly expect crime to increase with it. After all, farm fields don't generate much crime. It would be surprising, however, if all those areas had a higher crime rate than Houston itself. Galveston, I guess, is different because it's a port city that has long had crime issues iirc. Even so, it seems to be a very violent place based on these statistics. However, even there crime has dropped significantly in the last 15 years, peaking at a post Katrina high in 2007:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ton-Texas.html

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 21st 2017 at 1:43 am.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:41 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thread has gone a bit off topic of late, but for those interested in the outcome regarding the OP...
Today I received an apology email from the principal, who had a word with the teacher. She is now allowed to remain seated during the pledge.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Looks like compared to Houston itself crime is higher in Galveston County (mainly because of the city of Galveston), lower in Fort Bend and a lot lower in Brazoria. Plug in the appropriate zip codes into this:

Greater Houston Demographics & Statistics — Employment, Education, Income Averages, Crime in Greater Houston — Point2 Homes

For example:

Brazoria County Demographics & Statistics — Employment, Education, Income Averages, Crime in Brazoria County — Point2 Homes

As urban areas sprawl, you would certainly expect crime to increase with it. After all, farm fields don't generate much crime. It would be surprising, however, if all those areas had a higher crime rate than Houston itself. Galveston, I guess, is different because it's a port city that has long had crime issues iirc. Even so, it seems to be a very violent place based on these statistics. However, even there crime has dropped significantly in the last 15 years, peaking at a post Katrina high in 2007:

Crime in Galveston, Texas (TX): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map
Thanks for that. Very interesting.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Thread has gone a bit off topic of late, but for those interested in the outcome regarding the OP...
Today I received an apology email from the principal, who had a word with the teacher. She is now allowed to remain seated during the pledge.
Excellent. And if she suddenly decides to stand and recite, that's her right too. High five to daughter.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Glad you had a good sensible response
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And if she suddenly decides to stand and recite, that's her right too. High five to daughter.
This thought had crossed my mind, it might be a bit embarrassing to me if she does, but as you say, her choice.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 5:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Excellent and exactly the right outcome.

You , MrK, are rearing a first rate, intelligent, thinking, young lady. She will go far.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding! Very pleased for you and your daughter.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Rational behaviour prevails.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Result!!!

Congratulations to you both...well done.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting the various directions this thread has gone in.

I spent most of my childhood in Miami (1990s). Back then there was a lot of violent crime, break-ins, carjackings, "Cocaine Cowboys" etc. That is all gone now and I absolutely feel a lot safer there today, than I did then. I think I actually saw some statistics a few months ago that said homicides were at a 50 year low or something like that? Regardless, there is a lot of data out there that shows the crime rate significantly down from what it was 20-30 years ago.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sanity prevails. Glad it worked out and her First Amendment rights are being recognized and preserved.

Now, back to shitposting about crime rates. Did you know, in the 12 years I've lived here, almost twice as many people have been murdered in Chicago than were killed in the entire 25 years of the Troubles in Northern Ireland?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Great news. May your daughter continue to analyze and act. More power to her.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Sanity prevails. Glad it worked out and her First Amendment rights are being recognized and preserved.

Now, back to shitposting about crime rates. Did you know, in the 12 years I've lived here, almost twice as many people have been murdered in Chicago than were killed in the entire 25 years of the Troubles in Northern Ireland?
That's one of our key freedoms. We don't want any Big Government stepping in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.