Planespotting II

Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Can we get this thread back on topic please...which is Planespotting? If you wish to discuss airline finances please open a new thread. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

thanking you very muchly.
It's been a thread of general airline and aviation related items for several years now on top of photos though, why do we need specific threads for every airline/aviation related thing talked about in here over the years?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with JSmith here. We have been talking about aviation earnings and finances in the context of COVID for months on this thread without being 'offtopic-ed'

I don't see how this is any different.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have to agree with JSmith here. We have been talking about aviation earnings and finances in the context of COVID for months on this thread without being 'offtopic-ed'

I don't see how this is any different.
It digressed in the direction of unions [political], more than aircraft and the airline business [non-political].

[please delete]
Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple photos back from my time working at Vancouver Airport, sometimes I miss the place.

Old Jul 28th 2020, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

This is what happens when someone forgets to close the potable water panel and forgets to properly

cap it and water leaks during the flight in the middle of winter from Minneapolis.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 1:07 am
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, it was bird ingestion that took down the 'Hudson' flight, so we know it can happen! I'm willing to say, it's statistically unusual, and I don't exactly make my decisions to fly based on this.
Are any of you guys pilots?

I am and I always thought it was strange how they called the captian a hero and described a water landing as a miracle? They made the Sioux City DC-10 crash captain out to be a hero too, when nothing could have been further from the truth.

Denny Fitch (the guy working the throttles) told me they had it made, they were gonna land fast and go off into the corn field at the end of the runway but the captain kept insisting on pulling the power- which was the only thing keeping the aircraft level. Denny told him no the first time, explained the obvious to him but eventually pulled the power at the threshold at the captains request, a wing tipped into the ground and the aircraft cart wheeled down the runway. They were going 250 knots, as if pulling the power was going to slow them to a safe speed, like 245? He got angry talking about it- But when I see him on documentaries talking about it, he never goes there

Last edited by The Mirror; Jul 29th 2020 at 1:14 am.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mirror

I am and I always thought it was strange how they called the captian a hero and described a water landing as a miracle? They made the Sioux City DC-10 crash captain out to be a hero too, when nothing could have been further from the truth.

Denny Fitch (the guy working the throttles) told me they had it made, they were gonna land fast and go off into the corn field at the end of the runway but the captain kept insisting on pulling the power- which was the only thing keeping the aircraft level. Denny told him no the first time, explained the obvious to him but eventually pulled the power at the threshold at the captains request, a wing tipped into the ground and the aircraft cart wheeled down the runway. They were going 250 knots, as if pulling the power was going to slow them to a safe speed, like 245? He got angry talking about it- But when I see him on documentaries talking about it, he never goes there

So tell us the 'real truth' about the US Airways flight that landed on the Hudson, then - what SHOULD have happened?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:17 am
Account Closed

View from the push back waiting to push a 737 off the gate.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:19 am
Account Closed

If anyone was ever curious about how your bags are loaded into narrow body aircraft.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Southwest Airlines 2nd quarter as expected was pretty bad, they are typically not an airline known for posting large losses, but no way around this pandemic.
  • Second quarter net loss of $915 million and $1.63 net loss per diluted share
  • Excluding special items1, net loss of $1.5 billion and $2.67 net loss per diluted share
  • Second quarter operating revenues of $1.0 billion, down 82.9 percent year-over-year
  • Ended second quarter with liquidity of $15.5 billion, well in excess of debt outstanding
Second quarter 2020 operating revenue per available seat mile (RASM, or unit revenues) was 5.63 cents, a decrease of 61.9 percent, driven by a load factor decrease of 55.0 points and a passenger revenue yield decrease of 21.1 percent, all year-over-year.

Release here.
It will be a great shame if Southwest do not survive. Southwest have some individual quirks that make their flights more enjoyable. One of which is that the airline seems to encourages cabin staff to entertain passengers with whatever skill they have, eg, tell some jokes, sing a song . . . they have some truly talented cabin crew when it comes to this.
I think I recall that Southwest also have a tradition of taking off and landing at steeper angles than any other airline, although can't find a reference for this at the moment.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
I think I recall that Southwest also have a tradition of taking off and landing at steeper angles than any other airline, although can't find a reference for this at the moment.

Haven’t heard that, although I’d be surprised especially on landing. Operators try their damned best to do a continuous descent to save on fuel. Most airports have STARs that will have altitude restrictions built in at certain points. Descending at steeper angles would almost certainly result in stepped approaches that wound actually burn more fuel. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s seems strange that they would.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I am
What license do you have?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

I am and I always thought it was strange how they called the captian a hero ....?
Not a pilot, but spent a lot of time upfront in my 24 years in the military, varied from small helicopters to wide-body jets; loading, unloading, preparation, trim-sheets, ground marshalling and underslung loads. Captains tend to get it in the neck when they do bad and get the medals when they do good, to the rest of us down the back, unless it's a really good one when we all bask in the glory, he's our hero, they don't get called the 2-wing master race for nothing. I assume the guy you're referring to was the Flight Engineer; what did the board of inquiry say about your DC-10 crash?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 1:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I am and I always thought it was strange how they called the captian a hero and described a water landing as a miracle?
Even the NTSB concurred that, given the situation and the thinking/action time he had, the result that happened was the best case.

He landed a plane, on the water, with no engines, that resulted in no fatalities. That's pretty bloody miraculous to me.

So what would you have done that the NTSB could not find?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:15 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So tell us the 'real truth' about the US Airways flight that landed on the Hudson, then - what SHOULD have happened?

Any pilot who loses all power and couldn't make it back to the field would have decided to land in the river and any pilot could have made that landing..Certainly any commercial pilot

So he's not a hero, and it wasn't a miracle

He did his job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.