Planespotting II

Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is clearly going to be a number or months before any attempt to reopen international flights is possible, and as there is currently very little appetite for domestic travel within the US, I think that is a fair predictor for what will happen when the out-right bans on non-citizens/ LPRs of the destination country) are lifted, i.e. there won't be much demand.

As I have predicted before on BE (and been ranted at by some for saying it), and the BBC web site repeated as recently as yesterday, there is little likelihood of a vaccine being widely available before mid 2021, and that is only a best case scenario. So the prospects for international air travel returning to anything like 2019 is IMO years away, and with little demand and many very modern aircraft "parked up" for the foreseeable future, I think that the prospects for Boeing or Airbus selling more than a handful of civilian aircraft per year in the next five years has to be extremely slim, and that cutting 10% of Boeing's workforce will be overshadowed by more cuts coming - I think I saw that Airbus was talking about cutting of a third of their workforce, but I don't think that will be enough either.
Yes this is just the start of more and more cuts, eventually the US airlines will do massive cuts, eventually the government tap will be closed.

Really sucks for the Vancouver Airport and others who had massive expansions in progress, we went from overcapacity and needing new terminal space back to mid 1990's level and still falling and the domestic terminal being completely closed and partially built terminal construction halted.

All companies combined over 50% of people who were working at the airport in February are laid off and keeps climbing, and that is just direct jobs at the airport not counting the indirect jobs like hotels, shuttles etc.

Bad times for sure for many years.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 30th 2020 at 5:43 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

and that cutting 10% of Boeing's workforce will be overshadowed by more cuts coming - I think I saw that Airbus was talking about cutting of a third of their workforce, but I don't think that will be enough either.
I think it more likely Boeing and Airbus will have nearer 10% of their work force left, than being able to survive on the cuts they have made so far.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Bad times for sure for many years.
Unless of course it is just mother nature correcting the damage done to the planet by over population and pollution. In which case from that point of view there are good times ahead.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think it more likely Boeing and Airbus will have nearer 10% of their work force left, than being able to survive on the cuts they have made so far.
The Chief Executive was quoted yesterday as having real concerns the company would even survive! They couldn’t build planes faster enough 3 months ago. Now they are left with aircraft they can’t shift.

BA are planning to cut a quarter of pilots. I can’t help but think there is a little more to this though. BA is the only IAG carrier experiencing cuts at the moment. There’s always been a bad relationship between crews and unions and the management. What with new staff hired by BA are paid a pittance and have shite conditions, I wonder if they are taking the chance to rid the company of the old militant high paid folk. BAA were always trying to do that by ways of VR.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think it more likely Boeing and Airbus will have nearer 10% of their work force left, than being able to survive on the cuts they have made so far. ....
Agreed 100% and then some!

I am glad you said that as some have accused me on other threads of being alarmist, but things continue to unfold exactly as some of the more informed minds were predicting 6-8 weeks ago in early-mid March as things unraveled rapidly. I think that realistically Boeing and Airbus can pretty much shut down production, and just keep a few staff in maintenance, and some core R&D staff. They can probably pretty much mothball their production facilities for at least the next five years. And, if it needs to be said, there won't be any more 747's or A380's built, they're done!

And then there's a year's 737 MAX production that was already sitting parked unused.
Originally Posted by markonline1
The Chief Executive was quoted yesterday as having real concerns the company would even survive! ......
I am certain he has entirely valid concerns.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 30th 2020 at 7:58 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am kind of surprised the US is still operating pre-clearance from the various Canadian airports, with so little traffic, seems like a waste of money at the moment, but guess it costs money to move the officers so maybe its a wash in the end. Airports might prefer it though so they could condense all operations, Vancouver put all domestic and non-US international departures into one terminal as departures to non-US international destinations can co-mingle with domestic departures, but US departures cannot so they have to operate the US departure terminal for like 5 flights a day....
Old Apr 30th 2020, 8:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

And, if it needs to be said, there won't be any more 747's or A380's built, they're done!
Apparently the price of a used A380 is now less than the value of the scrap metal etc in it.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 8:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the price of a used A380 is now less than the value of the scrap metal etc in it.
Unfortunately I don't have room in my garage for one right now.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I don't have room in my garage for one right now.
With the wings off would make a unique house. One thing in Boeing’s favor is their military contracts.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
..... One thing in Boeing’s favor is their military contracts.
Agreed, which I why I specified "civilian aircraft" in post #645 above.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

With the wings off would make a unique house. One thing in Boeing’s favor is their military contracts.
And the FAA’s seriously deep pockets. If airports are getting bailed out, surely they would step in and keep Boeing going. There is no on earth I could see the government letting Boeing go under.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Companies like Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics are as important to national defense as institutions like the Marine Corps. I can’t see any of them being allowed to go bankrupt.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:40 pm

Companies like Boeing, Lockheed, General Dynamics are as important to national defense as institutions like the Marine Corps. I can’t see any of them being allowed to go bankrupt.
".... be liquidated."

GM went bankrupt but was "too big to fail", and needed a massive amount of government money to be recapitalized, but the previous stockholders lost almost everything.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

".... be liquidated."

GM went bankrupt but was "too big to fail", and needed a massive amount of government money to be recapitalized, but the previous stockholders lost almost everything.
I meant fail and be liquidated.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Appears Boeing wont be seeking government financial assistance at this time after securing $25 billion in bond offerings.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/boei...deral-aid.html
Old May 1st 2020, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Appears Boeing wont be seeking government financial assistance at this time after securing $25 billion in bond offerings.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/boei...deral-aid.html
From the article: "Calhoun this week said it would likely take two to three years for travel demand to get back to 2019 levels.". That sounds optimistic, but - I'll go for it. I thought travel would never return after 9/11 and it did, pretty quickly I believe.

Can someone with some background in 'the market' explain to me how this $25 billion bond works? Who exactly is putting up this money, and what are they getting in return? It seems like a bold move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.