Planespotting II

Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So the cash in Nepal last month, with the deaths of all 72 on board, was, according to the initial report, the result of one of the pilots accidentally put both propellers into the the "fully feathered" position (which would be done if an engine failed and the pilot needs to minimise drag on the aircraft from an unpowered prop), instead of moving the adjacent flap lever to 30ยบ for landing. The result of this is high drag for the engine, and zero propulsion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXTy24rdwYc
Shocking, especially given the pilots combined experience...what happened to pilot monitoring?
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Shocking, especially given the pilots combined experience...what happened to pilot monitoring?
Indeed, and worse still, if you watch the video I linked, the pilot who made the error was apparently an instructor pilot, who on this occasion was supposed to be training the other pilot on landing at the new airport!

I think the shocking thing in this case was that, because they were so close to landing, so already slow and low, there was literally only 60s from the wrong levers being moved to the time of impact, so there were only a very few seconds available to identify the problem and remedy it. I suspect that by 45s post-mistake it was already too late to save the aircraft.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else seen Plane yet?
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, and worse still, if you watch the video I linked, the pilot who made the error was apparently an instructor pilot, who on this occasion was supposed to be training the other pilot on landing at the new airport!

I think the shocking thing in this case was that, because they were so close to landing, so already slow and low, there was literally only 60s from the wrong levers being moved to the time of impact, so there were only a very few seconds available to identify the problem and remedy it. I suspect that by 45s post-mistake it was already too late to save the aircraft.
Yes, it was (too late).

Also, too many (recent) accidents caused by rookie errors.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Anyone else seen Plane yet?
As Father Dick Byrne says "NO!"?
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Anyone else seen Plane yet? ....
No. I didn't see balloon either, though I noticed shortly afterwards that it had passed very close to Pulaski Manor. I don't know if it would have been visible had I looked for it.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 5:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

CRM at it's finest. As the saying goes, takeoff and landing are the most dangerous part of flight. Another example in favor of AI.
Old Feb 18th 2023, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
As Father Dick Byrne says "NO!"?
I watched it and it reminded me of Flight of the Phoenix which I then discovered was remade not too long ago.
Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Drone (?) up over Ukraine, right now - make what you will of the callsign -

Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

More interesting is the one that regularly flies all the way from Spain or Italy and spends most of the daytime orbiting just south of Crimea..

Old Feb 23rd 2023, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by calman014
More interesting is the one that regularly flies all the way from Spain or Italy and spends most of the daytime orbiting just south of Crimea..
Had the privilege to be involved with the early trials of Global Hawk, all those years ago.
Of course, then we weren't allowed to refer to it by name.
Old Apr 30th 2023, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The Ford Trimotor is at our airport (Tullahoma TN) giving rides this weekend. From 1925 to 1933 199 were built.

Old Apr 30th 2023, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful machine. Similar vintage to one I spotted last year in Belgium:

Lockheed Twelve "Electra"

Old Jun 15th 2023, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw an article where the UK has retired the C130 in favor of a committee designed airbus that the military hates. Expensive and unreliable.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
Beautiful machine. Similar vintage to one I spotted last year in Belgium:

Lockheed Twelve "Electra"

That's a beautiful interior! Is that leather on the sides? The steering wheels (probably not the correct terms ) look amazing too. Wouldn't mind going up in that thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.