Planespotting II

Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:45 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Here's my first license...I started flying when I was 14, was a captain in the CAP (an auxillary branch of the Air Force) at 15..I don't lie

Last edited by The Mirror; Jul 29th 2020 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's it, I'm out. That told me all I need to know right there about who I'm talking too.

Ignore list.
Reminds me of dckoop's posts.. speaking of whom, did he get banned?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:50 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er yeah! It makes me wonder why there are any plane crashes.

Surely if Sully had "just been doing his job, same as anyone else would", any pilot who's plane wasn't brought down by a missile would just perform a run-of-the-mill off-runway landing on the nearest convenient flat-ish surface, and all the passengers would walk away? Or am I missing something?
Those guys that landed a 737 on a soaking wet levy in New Orleans, and kept the plane in one piece...are Hero's..

That's somethin
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:51 pm
Banned

Jeez....Ok guys...Sully Sullenberger is a hero! You win

Sorry I said anything

See ya later
Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Reminds me of dckoop's posts.. speaking of whom, did he get banned?
I've been wondering where he went.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mirror
Any pilot who loses all power and couldn't make it back to the field would have decided to land in the river and any pilot could have made that landing..Certainly any commercial pilot

So he's not a hero, and it wasn't a miracle

He did his job
I think what he did merits as an outstanding achievement, and so did the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators who awarded him and the crew their 'Master's Medal' for outstanding aviation achievement.

So try again sir, because you're full of crap.
What else could he have done, try to land on a city street?...When a private pilot loses his engine he's trained to immediately determine how far he can glide, it's basic... It's a simple equation (airspeed and altitude) that all pilots are trained over and over to do really fast all by themselves. He had a first officer. And landing on water is no more difficult than landing on concrete- The only danger would have been one engine hitting the water first, but that danger exsists when you land on a runway..
Yeah, right- like those bouncy rubbery things called tires don't have any role in correcting for an uneven landing! I can't count the number of times I've landed with one wheel noticeably hitting before the other. If that had been on water, I'd have been screwed!
Please. The NTSB replicated the accident flight, under the same conditions, and a good number of those pilots in the simulator crashed the plane. That's in the NTSB report.

What is it? Jealousy? Wanting to tear down someone else for doing something that your average Joe on the street couldn't?
I was a "child prodigy" on a collegiate national championship precision flying team in the early 80's...

People and the press wanna have hero's... Have at it, it doesn't hurt anyone...
A 'Child Prodigy' and 'A Legend' ... you forgot "in my own mind". That's why you can't bear to see someone else receiving (worthy) praise.

Originally Posted by audio
Complete crap.
Exactly.

Perhaps because 'the largest thing you flew was a 727' is why you feel the need to knock someone else.

I'm sure you are aware that there is a massive difference between ditching a 727 and ditching an A320, right?

That's it, I'm out. That told me all I need to know right there about who I'm talking too.

Ignore list.

Well, I think I do.

How about a quote from 101 to back up your engine out and landing on water theories?
Indeed that would be interesting.
Jeez....Ok guys...Sully Sullenberger is a hero! You win

Sorry I said anything

See ya later
Hope not.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Haven’t heard that, although I’d be surprised especially on landing. Operators try their damned best to do a continuous descent to save on fuel. Most airports have STARs that will have altitude restrictions built in at certain points. Descending at steeper angles would almost certainly result in stepped approaches that wound actually burn more fuel. Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s seems strange that they would.
OK, so a steep angle of descent when landing would make no sense. A google for Southwest steep takeoff angle comes up with nothing much, so maybe what I remember was an in-flight pilot joke. They are such wags.
SWA do seem to have a reputation for aggressive taxi speed though.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
OK, so a steep angle of descent when landing would make no sense. A google for Southwest steep takeoff angle comes up with nothing much, so maybe what I remember was an in-flight pilot joke. They are such wags.
I don’t know London City Airport, but I believe the glide path is around 5.5 (steep) for obstacle clearance reasons.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know London City Airport, but I believe the glide path is around 5.5 (steep) for obstacle clearance reasons.
The scariest landing I ever experienced was LCY. The pilot aborted at the last minute due to extreme crosswind, and took off again. As we circled around for the second attempt, looking down at the City it occurred to me for the first time ever that I could well be about to die.

My vote for the most interesting takeoff and landing goes to Hong Kong, before they built the new airport. There must be some videos out there showing the old Hong Kong airport.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My vote for the most interesting takeoff and landing goes to Hong Kong, before they built the new airport.
Kai Tak.

Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:23 pm
Banned

The checkerboard approach...much harder than landing on a River..I sat in the jump seat on one of my fathers flights there..I couldnt believe it...
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:26 pm
Banned

And guys...lol

"sully" didnt land at a steep angle..he decended at a steeper angle..he landed with the nose up, like and normal landing
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The checkerboard approach...much harder than landing on a River..I sat in the jump seat on one of my fathers flights there..I couldnt believe it...
So landing without power is easier than landing with - you should address a paper to airline accountants highlighting the potential fuel savings, and another to the regulators explaining how go arounds can be confined to the history books. Good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2020, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The scariest landing I ever experienced was LCY. The pilot aborted at the last minute due to extreme crosswind, and took off again. As we circled around for the second attempt, looking down at the City it occurred to me for the first time ever that I could well be about to die.

My vote for the most interesting takeoff and landing goes to Hong Kong, before they built the new airport. There must be some videos out there showing the old Hong Kong airport.
Indeed! I used to fly to HK (Kai Tak) quite often in my early career (mid-80s), and flew first class (company policy, not my choice!). Being a reckless 20-something, I took full advantage of the free champagne, free wine, free liquor, etc and got utterly plastered on the flight. Trouble is, the flight is something like 15 hours so I woke up with a cracking hangover, while still on the plane! I remember looking out the window, staring straight into someone's apartment window, and feeling convinced we were 'going down' ... and my hangover was so bad, I didn't care! I actually quit drinking on flights after that experience, never touched another drop on a flight since!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 29th 2020 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. And for asking for intersection departures to jump the queue LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.