Planespotting

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:21 pm
Banned

The Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's the advantage of the instrument approach, I guess.
Once you see the field, you don't look down at your instruments- The first officer gives you the airspeed, sets the flaps and lowers the gear.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Quiet Man
Once you see the field, you don't look down at your instruments- The first officer gives you the airspeed, sets the flaps and lowers the gear.
Unless the first officer is flying the landing
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:52 pm
Banned

The Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Quiet Man has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the first officer is flying the landing
One time I was just getting off the ground at O'hare and a large flock of geese came under the starboard side of the aircraft and all the bells an whistles went off- We lost an engine...There are two big red lights telling you which engine is out and the procedure is to verify which engine is out and pull all the power off that engine because when its spinning it's always trying to restart and with all the fuel pouring into it, it could blow up..So my first officer just assumed its the starboard engine out since we saw the geese on that side of the aircraft and she pulled the throttle back on it..While what really happened was that the geese came under the aircraft and took out the port engine, so she pulled the power on the only engine keeping the plane airborne. I felt the aircraft lurch, yelled wrong engine and I fire walled the throttles as fast as I could ....We were mushing in as we went over Irving Park road..We were 10 feet above the street lights and I remember we were lower than the Howard Johnsons that was off to the port side on manhiem road... I came around landed the plane safely and I chewed her beautiful ass out, but never told the company.

later that same day in new equipment, when she landed in Billings they told her to get off on the high speed taxiway and she blew right by it...

My point is, sometimes you have a bad day, maybe it was that time of the month for her, I don't know, but if nobody dies, its all good.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was this? I accept things are different in the US than the UK, but in the UK every bird strike (and every suspected bird strike) has to be reported to the CAA. I can't imagine it's too much different here. More importantly, what bloomin airline were you flying for where something like that could happen yet you didn't make any sort of mention of it??
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by markonline1
How long ago was this? I accept things are different in the US than the UK, but in the UK every bird strike (and every suspected bird strike) has to be reported to the CAA. I can't imagine it's too much different here. More importantly, what bloomin airline were you flying for where something like that could happen yet you didn't make any sort of mention of it??
Mmmmmmm 93?

She was crying and I reached up an erased the tape- You could do that back then..It wasn't investigated or anything- We each wrote it up and got right back in another plane..I still get Christmas cards from her
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am literally sat here shaking my head in disbelief. Then again, 93, half of my old unit were driving round the airfield pissed, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:07 am
Banned

It's a commercial flight, its not the space shuttle.. Its very mundain and there's a hundred ways to make an approach
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by markonline1
I am literally sat here shaking my head in disbelief. Then again, 93, half of my old unit were driving round the airfield pissed, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised
Even in the early 90's we went into small places where we called the ticket agent and he looked out the window and said "it looks clear to me"...
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of airliner were you flying?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah, thought as much ...
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

I'm type rated in a dozen aircraft and hauled mail and frieght on weekends during the 80's, 90's..
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 2:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So... what were you flying during this alleged bridstrike/engineflameout/neardeathexperiance?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
So... what were you flying during this alleged bridstrike/engineflameout/neardeathexperiance?
"alleged"? I don't want to talk about me or my life story...

737-100
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:14 pm
Often not so civil...

I don't want to talk about me or my life story...
You already did!

Since you have no proof, and we don't really believe you, I think alleged is a perfectly reasonable word to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.