Pet Peeves?

Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by robin1234

One of their money saving suggestions; spend just ten minutes in the shower. Turns out the mother normally spent 45 minutes in the shower!! She had long hair, but even then ......
That's insane! There are oft-quoted reports out there that taking a 10 minute shower uses less water than a bath, but they are talking about filling the bath way up -- way higher than any Brit would do, in my experience! (Echoes of my mother shouting, "Don't use all the hot water, there are others who need a bath you know!") And with a shower, the user generally runs the water until it gets hot, thus wasting all that water, whereas I put the plug in right away and by the time it gets to my inch and a half of water, the hot water and the cold have mixed to get to just the right temperature. One of these days I'm going to get my OH to take his shower with the plug in, so that I can see just what level his water gets to during the shower!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that airline continually change arrival times of flights. My flight has changed from 4 pm to 11 am to now 2pm. Also the departure time has moved up to 1 pm from the original 3:30 pm.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 25th 2017 at 5:42 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I"ve spent the past year or two reading a lot about water in the western US and your statement is not without foundation. From what I understand, Texas is very dependent on the Ogallala aquifer (maybe north/west Texas) and it's being depleted quickly, and there's not much that can be done to replenish it. It took 15,000 years to fill. There's an unfunded $18 billion plan on the books to pump water uphill from the Missouri River, but that is not likely to happen.

This is a great article that sums up the problem: What Happens to the U.S. Midwest When the Water's Gone? .

I suspect water (lack thereof) will be a far bigger issue facing the US and developing nations than climate change itself; climate change just happens to make the situation even worse.

The US should also cut down on it's use of ethanol.

Another great article about aquifers, this one more focused on California:
If You Think the Water Crisis Can't Get Worse, Wait Until the Aquifers Are Drained
It appears that one way to conserve water is to eat less meat. the article states that a single quarter-pound hamburger requires about 460 gallons of water to raise and process the beef. That's a lot of water for a $5 burger.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 25th 2017 at 6:04 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
It appears that one way to conserve water is to eat less meat. the article states that a single quarter-pound hamburger requires about 460 gallons of water to raise and process the beef. That's a lot of water for a $5 burger.
Yes, meat eating (esp. beef) is a big problem, water-wise. And as the current fashion for 'grass fed/free range' develops, that requires even more land, and probably more water for that land (though this is not confirmed). I do know that the push for 'grass fed' is accelerating the deforestation trend in South America, which is ironic as 'grass fed' is fashionable with the 'eco' crowd. If beef were treated as a special treat rather than a daily obsession, more sustainable land-use decisions could be made.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

There was one of those consumer reality shows on the BBC last night, they were helping a family with children in Glasgow to save money on regular expenditures, phone contracts, which laundry detergent, that sort of thing.

One of their money saving suggestions; spend just ten minutes in the shower. Turns out the mother normally spent 45 minutes in the shower!! She had long hair, but even then ......
A 45 minute shower, I'd look like a prune being in hot water that long!

Although maybe it's the only way to get some peace away from her family
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Even though we are in a temperate rainforest and get nearly 5 feet of rain per year on average our summers tend to be dry so we get annual water restrictions that at times are stricter then what I have seen in places like Phoenix or Los Angeles.

Those desert regions need to stop wasting so much water on things like grass.
It annoys me when everyone has sprinklers to keep their lawns alive pretty much all year here. A pretty green lawn should not be a priority, it is a waste of water.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hate that airline continually change arrival times of flights. My flight has changed from 4 pm to 11 am to now 2pm. Also the departure time has moved up to 1 pm from the original 3:30 pm.
Now they have changed days so I get in a day earlier.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived in Aus we were in the midst of a long running drought. The council supplied shower timers to encourage everyone to only have 4 minute showers. 10 is dumb. 45 is wtf!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Was driving home today from checking out some houses when I saw a sign for girl scout cookies. Figured I'd surprise the Mrs with some so I followed the signs... And kept following more signs... Until there was no more and no sight of cookies.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The signs obviously got eaten
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The signs obviously got eaten
Greedy buggers
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tom169
Greedy buggers
They got hungry looking for cookies.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:20 am
Account Closed

People who leave their dogs out in the back yard all night.

If I can hear the constant barking and I'm across the road I'm sure as hell they can hear it even louder as it is barking right by their back door.

Take the poor animal inside you morons!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

If I can hear the constant barking and I'm across the road I'm sure as hell they can hear it even louder as it is barking right by their back door.

Take the poor animal inside you morons!
Would you consider calling code enforcement / animal welfare?
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I could never do that. The dog gets more of the bed than I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.