Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Patient in Dallas confirmed to have Ebola.

Patient in Dallas confirmed to have Ebola.

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:16 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patient in Dallas confirmed to have Ebola.

He has something to look forward to when he goes home: Prosecution.

http://6abc.com/health/liberia-to-pr...-to-us/331181/
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
He has something to look forward to when he goes home: Prosecution.

http://6abc.com/health/liberia-to-pr...-to-us/331181/
That should enable him to claim asylum.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Curious who is going to pay for his treatment...I mean, they can't just stabilize then discharge.....does regular travel insurance cover this sort of thing?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Curious who is going to pay for his treatment...I mean, they can't just stabilize then discharge.....does regular travel insurance cover this sort of thing?
Probablyeither the government or its a write off, very doubtful he is going have the funds to pay for it.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Probablyeither the government or its a write off, very doubtful he is going have the funds to pay for it.
Seems to me it is very valuable experience, one case to see how well the system in place deals with this type of infection. So maybe the government will pay. That's how it should work anyway. (Maybe the patient has travel insurance and/or funds though.)
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, how long does the Ebola virus remain viable in the environment? Because the stories in the news are going on about bedding, clothing etc. being in the Dallas apartment days after the patient was admitted to hospital, because the authorities found it hard to get a contractor to deal with cleanup. Usually I thought these type of organisms died if outside the host ...?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Just curious, how long does the Ebola virus remain viable in the environment? Because the stories in the news are going on about bedding, clothing etc. being in the Dallas apartment days after the patient was admitted to hospital, because the authorities found it hard to get a contractor to deal with cleanup. Usually I thought these type of organisms died if outside the host ...?
Viruses are very sensitive to UV radiation, so outside in sunlight they'd be inactivated in a day or two. In doors it would probably be longer, but still only a few days, and I'm not sure how long they may remain active if kept in a dark place, say a rolled up bedding or in a closet.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:26 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me it is very valuable experience, one case to see how well the system in place deals with this type of infection. So maybe the government will pay. That's how it should work anyway. (Maybe the patient has travel insurance and/or funds though.)
There are lots of things in the US med system that should work a certain way, but don't ! I agree though..I'm sure the Health Dept, CDC etc are all over this, and no one is going to be checking his insurance or running his credit card before treating, but I wonder if they'll come after him afterwards. I'm not sure how much travel insurance "normally" covers. Last policy I had only covered the first 100k I think, but that was enough as we were within the US and just looking to cover the deductible on our regular health insurance.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
There are lots of things in the US med system that should work a certain way, but don't ! I agree though..I'm sure the Health Dept, CDC etc are all over this, and no one is going to be checking his insurance or running his credit card before treating, but I wonder if they'll come after him afterwards. I'm not sure how much travel insurance "normally" covers. Last policy I had only covered the first 100k I think, but that was enough as we were within the US and just looking to cover the deductible on our regular health insurance.
Hmm. .. I remember the policies we used to get in the UK to travel to the US, I'm pretty sure they covered one million pounds, and that was back in the 1980s. I think they would be based on shipping the policy holder back to the UK as soon as safe or feasible. So presumably (exceptionally) this would never happen with the Ebola patient.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody in the DFW area who is worried about contracting this disease should head over to Cowboys Stadium - nobody catches anything there. Ba-dum-Tishhh!
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranston
I'm a little nervous about it....but I expect the CDC have it under control
I'm sure the CDC will have it under control. Like when they accidentally exposed some of their own staff to Anthrax earlier this year....
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

According to the CDC, a few hours to several days depending on if there are body fluids present or not.

How long does Ebola live outside the body?

Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Once someone recovers they no longer transmit the virus, however men are advised to abstain from sex for 3 months as the virus has been found in semen after recovery.

If someone survives Ebola, can he or she still spread the virus?

Once someone recovers from Ebola, they can no longer spread the virus. However, Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months. People who recover from Ebola are advised to abstain from sex or use condoms for 3 months.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:07 pm

Hmm. .. I remember the policies we used to get in the UK to travel to the US, I'm pretty sure they covered one million pounds, and that was back in the 1980s. I think they would be based on shipping the policy holder back to the UK as soon as safe or feasible. So presumably (exceptionally) this would never happen with the Ebola patient.
Yes, I doubt they will be moving him anywhere until he's either clear, or in a body bag... I wonder how far a million goes these days - those decontamination suits look pretty pricey.....
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, The Daily Fail is now versed in immigration law!

Ebola victim came to U.S. on tourist visa to marry and 'start new life in America' | Daily Mail Online

According to visapro.com it is possible to marry on a tourist visa but there are a number of issues.

If somebody in such a position gets married within 30 days of arriving in the US it is frowned upon by the authorities.

However even if Duncan's application would have been denied the marriage would have bought him months in the US whilst it was processed.
I am not even sure what that last sentence even means.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Hey, The Daily Fail is now versed in immigration law! ....... I am not even sure what that last sentence even means.
There is an old myth called the 30/60/90 rule, claiming that there was a sweet spot in the time line when you could argue that your marriage was not planned/ expected when you entered the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.