Parents!

Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:20 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Parents!

I need assistance on recommendations for a backpack to carry the little one in, trouble is, she's not that little. She has inherited my height, she's not skinny, but she's not fat either. She's the size of most of the two year old kids in the neighborhood and she's 15 months old.

Example

Patapum Toddler Carrier

Do I want something with a metal frame instead? It will be used for hiking. We had the Bjorn and all of the other wraps Too warm.

Chico Smart Support

I've seen some at silly prices
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents!

We had something similar to the Chicco when our daughter was about 11 months old and used it for quite some time after. Our daughter was not quite 20 pounds and it worked out well when we were on vacation. The only downside was when she fell asleep, the one we had sat upright. But it was quite comfortable to wear.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:37 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We had something similar to the Chicco when our daughter was about 11 months old and used it for quite some time after. Our daughter was not quite 20 pounds and it worked out well when we were on vacation. The only downside was when she fell asleep, the one we had sat upright. But it was quite comfortable to wear.
I saw one with a head catcher for when they fall asleep, made of mesh so they don't get hot. I think it was around $300 though.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I saw one with a head catcher for when they fall asleep, made of mesh so they don't get hot. I think it was around $300 though.
Yikes! Well we bought the one we had in the UK (8 years ago now, our baby will be 9 in a week....) and when we brought it out to the US on vacation we had a lot of positive comments on it, asking where we bought it, etc. I guess we were ground breaking parents for the moment....
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Lascal M1 I think, it's Swedish...our 2 yr old can still fit into it, takes up to 35 pounds I think as a tummy pouch. Bamboo material breaths nicely, washes well, won't kill you in sweat.

Don't want a metal one, those are shit and unweldly, and they get hot.

http://www.lascal.se/web/home.aspx
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard the Kelty are good for the backpack carriers, they let more air flow between you and the child so you aren't so hot. This one from REI looks cool
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:33 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

I got the red one posted above, the frame is light and collapses while walking and it has a hood for sun/rain and a rain visor.

Also if you complain that the box has been opened at Babies R us you get 20% off, so it came in at $79.99

Thank you Store Manager, Alan
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:29 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have heard the Kelty are good for the backpack carriers, they let more air flow between you and the child so you aren't so hot.[/URL]
That's my suggestion as well. We used backpacks for both of our kids almost exclusively and the midrange Kelty model we had was great. The Kelty lasted through both kids easily and was very well designed and comfortable. I would definitely get a child carrier at an outdoorsy store made by a company that makes real hiking backpacks, they typically know what they're doing. Also, good used backpacks are a dime-a-dozen on CraigsList and as they're so durable, they're usually essentially brand new.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:26 am
Just Joined

MumofMany is an unknown quantity at this point

Of the two examples you posted I would go for the second one. We have something similar and it's fab for long hikes. The first one will get uncomfortably hot after awhile in all likely hood.

Best bet would be to see if you can find somewhere that you can try both styles on and see which is more comfortable for you... I've had so many carriers over the years I've lost count, but for long hikes I'd always use something similar to the second picture you posted for a bigger child.