Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This P.E.T.S. malarky is sooo confusing!!

This P.E.T.S. malarky is sooo confusing!!

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:52 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This P.E.T.S. malarky is sooo confusing!!

Sounds a lot more confusing wherever you guys are - ?Canada?
Very straight forwards in Oz although confusing initially.

Once we're back in the Uk we don't plan on taking our dog on any big european travels so no more vaccinating for us.

We had our dog vaccinated on June 23rd 2008, blood test on July 14th 2008 and he was free to fly out 6 months onwards from July 14th 2008. Vet advised us the result was valid for 12 months so we actually have up until July 14th 2009 to fly out if we wanted.

Maybe it's different in Oz??
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:12 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
We had our dog vaccinated on June 23rd 2008, blood test on July 14th 2008 and he was free to fly out 6 months onwards from July 14th 2008. Vet advised us the result was valid for 12 months so we actually have up until July 14th 2009 to fly out if we wanted.
I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying, and just to clarify . . . if you had to postpone and couldn't leave by July 14th 2009, as long as you got the rabies vaccination updated before the expiration date, you'd be good for ANOTHER 12 months (or 36 months if it's the 3-year rabies). Once the titre is checked and meets the criteria, it is valid as long as the rabies shot is kept up to date.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:22 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Validity of the certificate
The certificate will not become valid for entry to the UK for 6 calendar months from the blood sample date shown in section V. However, it is only valid for entry to the EU and subsequent travel within the EU for 4 months from the date it was signed or endorsed, or until the “Valid until” date shown in section IV, whichever is earlier. Pet owners wishing to enter the UK with their pet should therefore be encouraged to delay getting the certificate until a month or two before they travel to ensure that it will still be valid when they enter the UK.

So....if the certificate is not signed for a year or so after the first results are back, that is the date of endorsement, is it not? It does not affect the results.
This is talking about the validity of the certificate itself, not the titre test. It's saying not to get the certificate completed until less than 4 months prior to travel.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:32 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
This is talking about the validity of the certificate itself, not the titre test. It's saying not to get the certificate completed until less than 4 months prior to travel.
That's what I thought it meant, I confused myself I think. That is the basis upon which I have kept all his shots up to date - once the microchipping and titre is done, its done, subject to keeping the shots up to date. The certificate can then be completed with the relevant dates at any time after the initial six month wait, ad infinitum.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Oh Luna(tic) no wonder your looking pee'd off dressed like that

Happy Christmas.
LOL....she does look rather naffed off doesn't she!! Bless her, she's always being pinned down and dressed up for us all....no wonder she's a bloody nutcase
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much to onepearlyb, dingbat, annm & sarahinTX for taking the time and trouble to (yet again) fill in another 2-UK-pet-travelling-virgin!! You really have put me on the path to clarity with your info and advice and I'm not stressing about things as much now

I phoned up my vets in Red Deer to enquire about the brand of microchip and it's an M4S (Microchip Solutions Inc) which I'm pretty much assured it should comply for the UK. When she looked me up on the system she said that Luna already had her rabies shot done back in August and that her booster is due in Feb. I said that according to the step-by-step rules, once the microchip is fitted (which will be early Jan), Luna is to have an actual rabies shot and that is to be documented on the forms. The one she had back in August can't count....or can it?? If we have her vaccinated again for the rabies shot in January (rather than the booster), then are we not overdosing her? I have no idea how jabs work
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:25 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying, and just to clarify . . . if you had to postpone and couldn't leave by July 14th 2009, as long as you got the rabies vaccination updated before the expiration date, you'd be good for ANOTHER 12 months (or 36 months if it's the 3-year rabies). Once the titre is checked and meets the criteria, it is valid as long as the rabies shot is kept up to date.
Yes.

x
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ruby
I'm feeling pretty confused with the whole DEFRA thing too. So far I figured out that my cat's need Rabies boosters only (taking them today funnily enough), as they had a rabies shot on December 26th 2007 (Happy Boxing Day!) and then their blood was drawn and sent off.
Before all this they had AVID microchips inserted and we have certificates for those showing the chip number and their names, descriptions and owner/address.

Calling the DEFRA helpline is definately more reassuring than going by their website. I called last week and it was an Indian call center and I just kept asking questions until I felt like I had a clue!! LOL

The thing I am stuck on now is that I was told by DEFRA that I will need a 'Third Country Certificate' to be able to bring the animals into the UK, but I just keep being told by the US Vets I have spoken to that they do an 'International Pet Travel' certificate.

Anyone with any experience with this 'Third Country Certificate'. Bringing my cats to the US was definately easier than getting them back home.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
OK - I have asked DEFRA to clarify about revaccinations when you have a significant delay after the first titre test. I have a Cert from July 2006, never used it, and now will have another in Jan 2009. I have asked DEFRA to confirm that woofer is good to go!
I would be interested to hear what they say in their reply as I am in a similar situation
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:17 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush
I would be interested to hear what they say in their reply as I am in a similar situation
I'll post the reply when I get it.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello, me again!

Right, I am now in the financial position to get Luna spayed and microchipped. Do I inform the vet BEFORE the surgery that this microchip is for the purpose of travelling back to the UK? And do I need to supply the paperwork for the Vet to fill out regarding the microchip brand & number or should that be naturally supplied by the Vet? I can't see anything on DEFRA website about which one of us is supposed to supply the paperwork. When we go to collect her, will they just give us the Certificate of the microchip and that is all I need?

Questions, questions, questions!!!!! Please expect more from me...I'll do all your heads in
Ta very much!
Ruby xx
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:49 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

When we got Henry's chip, we got some paperwork and a key tag with the number of his chip on it.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
When we got Henry's chip, we got some paperwork and a key tag with the number of his chip on it.
Thanks Piff...I should pick your brains a bit more then next time I'm round for a brew

Have yourself a fab Christmas - and no setting fire to the turkey this year eh!!

"J" x
Old Dec 26th 2008, 3:13 am
Feels great to be home!

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Hello, me again!

Right, I am now in the financial position to get Luna spayed and microchipped. Do I inform the vet BEFORE the surgery that this microchip is for the purpose of travelling back to the UK? And do I need to supply the paperwork for the Vet to fill out regarding the microchip brand & number or should that be naturally supplied by the Vet? I can't see anything on DEFRA website about which one of us is supposed to supply the paperwork. When we go to collect her, will they just give us the Certificate of the microchip and that is all I need?

Questions, questions, questions!!!!! Please expect more from me...I'll do all your heads in
Ta very much!
Ruby xx
Based on my own experience, I'd say it doesn't hurt to let the vet know what your plans are. My vet in the US was VERY good and helpful with getting all the paperwork in order.

The microchip comes as a "packet," inasmuch as it has the registration form and tag. It may come with several adhesive copies of the chip number so they can be stuck on the vet record, etc.

The microchip information is copied onto the 3rd country certificate. It doesn't matter who actually fills it out as long as it's signed by the Defra approved vet.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Based on my own experience, I'd say it doesn't hurt to let the vet know what your plans are. My vet in the US was VERY good and helpful with getting all the paperwork in order.

The microchip comes as a "packet," inasmuch as it has the registration form and tag. It may come with several adhesive copies of the chip number so they can be stuck on the vet record, etc.

The microchip information is copied onto the 3rd country certificate. It doesn't matter who actually fills it out as long as it's signed by the Defra approved vet.
Thanks for that Sarah - puts that to rest. What about the rabies shot? Is that where I have to obtain the DEFRA paperwork? Where does that come into it? My Luna has already had her rabies shot in August and the only record of that is on the receipt....so where do I obtain that paperwork for DEFRA?

Please & thanks !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.