Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Over 65? Only 1.5 units of alcohol recommended

Over 65? Only 1.5 units of alcohol recommended

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice
Default Over 65? Only 1.5 units of alcohol recommended

I see research by some over-educated, over-confident, self opinionated, nazi-style body is now recommending that the over 65s shouldn't drink more than half of the recommended units of alcohol per day. Apparently drinking in the over 65s is often a result of depression and lonliness. Not one word is said about trying to find a solution to depression and lonliness!
Given that the UK press is full of horror stories involving neglect and cruelty in care homes no wonder the elderly drink!
I'm not yet 65 so have a few years in which to indulge. But wonder if anyone 65 or older will take any notice?
Wonder if they will increase the age to 68 when the retirement age goes up?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 65? Only 1.5 units of alcohol recommended

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Apparently drinking in the over 65s is often a result of depression and lonliness. Not one word is said about trying to find a solution to depression and lonliness!
Going to the pub?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:16 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Going to the pub?
Indeed - where one can indulge in WW2 stories, extra change for the bus fare home, great topics of discussion and debates; like whether or not over 65s should have more than 1.5 units of alcohol per day...
If they mean like for like of 1.5 units of alcohol with 1.5 units of blood... fine by me.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Going to the pub?
So long as it's not just for a Britvic orange.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:33 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
I see research by some over-educated, over-confident, self opinionated, nazi-style body is now recommending that the over 65s shouldn't drink more than half of the recommended units of alcohol per day. Apparently drinking in the over 65s is often a result of depression and lonliness. Not one word is said about trying to find a solution to depression and lonliness!
Given that the UK press is full of horror stories involving neglect and cruelty in care homes no wonder the elderly drink!
I'm not yet 65 so have a few years in which to indulge. But wonder if anyone 65 or older will take any notice?
Wonder if they will increase the age to 68 when the retirement age goes up?
Please define units... 1 pint, 1 litre, ????
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:36 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
BTW that is imperial pint not the US one!!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, they've made it 65 years, a few drinks isn't going to mean they will suddenly die the day before they're 66

My auntie spend much of the time I knew her pickled with gin - she made it to 85. My granny and her sister loved to tip back the Scotch and they made it to 92 and 89 respectively, so I don't see the harm in it myself.

For that matter, did any of us thirtysomethings ever stick to the recommended 21 units for men and 14 units for women per week back in the day? I used to go through half that at lunchtime in my 20s
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:39 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Bloody hell, they've made it 65 years, a few drinks isn't going to mean they will suddenly die the day before they're 66 :blink
Have you heard of the term Do Gooders??

If they would keep their noses out of smoking, drinking,sex, food etc we could all go on with our lives, some drop off earlier and solve the pension crisis, be less of a burden to our kids, save the NHS a fortune in elder care and BTW have a damn good time in the process.

I personally would sooner live for 70 - 80 yrs then exist for maybe another couple of years over that.

My gran lived to be 100yrs 9 months... smoked, drank, was vocal about ALL politicians (according to her they were all fatherless) lived independantly till 98yrs. My old man is still batting at 91 (beligerant alchy old fart!).
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Have you heard of the term Do Gooders??
Oh aye, bunch of self important twats using pseudoscience and psychobabble to railroad people into feeling bad about themselves for enjoying what's left of their life with the free time they earned for themselves by spending 40 years shovelling shit for the ungrateful bastards they worked for.

I suppose I should be relieved that by the time I get to my 60s/70s the retirement age will have gone so high I'll likely be dead before I get there, so (in the words of Billy Connoly in the Kaliber ads) I can drink as much as I like

I like the sound of your gran - I too believe all politicians are fatherless. And brainless. Some might even say pointless.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that one unit of alcohol is one small glass of wine or one half of UK pint of bitter. I could be more specific if I had the will to research it. As wine and beer come in different strengths it is all a bit wishy washy. As is the recommended number of units, 1-2 per day for women and 2-3 per day for men. Enough to drive one to drink..............
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oh aye, bunch of self important twats using pseudoscience and psychobabble to railroad people into feeling bad about themselves for enjoying what's left of their life with the free time they earned for themselves by spending 40 years shovelling shit for the ungrateful bastards they worked for.

I suppose I should be relieved that by the time I get to my 60s/70s the retirement age will have gone so high I'll likely be dead before I get there, so (in the words of Billy Connoly in the Kaliber ads) I can drink as much as I like

I like the sound of your gran - I too believe all politicians are fatherless. And brainless. Some might even say pointless.
Couldn't agree more
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:16 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

She was a classic... somehow she worked out that if she could get past 84yr and 7 months she would be in profit from the govt as far as benefits as against having put that money into savings over her lifetime.. that kept her going thru some darker days and even the Drs reminded her of it when they needed to get some fight into her.

Just seen Lola-Monmouth reply...half pint indeed!! that measure needs to be banned!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Getting your knickers in a twist about what someone recommends is just as funny as the recommendation itself.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Getting your knickers in a twist about what someone recommends is just as funny as the recommendation itself.
That is patently not true.... but it is an excuse to slip out onto the back patio and have a quick ciggie and a stiff scotch to calm down
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

ALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really niceALBRUZ is just really nice
Smile Re: Over 65? Only 1.5 units of alcohol recommended

Bloody hell, they've made it 65 years, a few drinks isn't going to mean they will suddenly die the day before they're 66

My auntie spend much of the time I knew her pickled with gin - she made it to 85. My granny and her sister loved to tip back the Scotch and they made it to 92 and 89 respectively, so I don't see the harm in it myself.

For that matter, did any of us thirtysomethings ever stick to the recommended 21 units for men and 14 units for women per week back in the day? I used to go through half that at lunchtime in my 20s
Yes I remeber those days in my early 20s before all the do gooders got onto the band wagon. Friday night 10 pints/ Saturday Lunch 6-8 pints/ Saturday night 8 pints at least/ Sunday lunch 6 pints/ Sunday night 8 pints and fish and chip supper on the way home. Average quite weekend about 40 pints opps isnt that about 80 units and we were novices compared to some of the people we used to hang about with.

Then joined the merchant navy which was in a different league

Mind you Im in my 50s now so Ive cut down a bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.