Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: You know your British and new in the states if……

OT: You know your British and new in the states if……

Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:12 am
Aussie Girl

Default Re: OT: You know your British and new in the states if..

"Lisa Simmonds" wrote in message news:...
    > ever pulled the capsicum trick?
    >
    > last time i was in subway in alabama (or tennessee - i can't remember), i
    > asked for some bell peppers on my sub, mike told me to say capsicum, and
    > kept urging me to say it.
    >
    > the woman behind the counter asked what i was asking for, so i said capsicum
    >
    > the look on her face was classic. complete idiot stare. - then i had a
    > couple of customers look at me funny too. i explained that in australia,
    > bell peppers are capsicums.
    >
    > her response : "I'll have to tell my husband that!"
    >
    > and rockmelons are another good one. cantelopes. sheesh!!
    >
    > -- Lisa
    > This really made me laugh remembering similair stuff esp capsicums and the blank look it get.My partner and I go back and forth on this all the time over the usual stuff.
I couldn't believe the outback steakhouse and the stuff they were
serving as Aussie tucker......deep fried onion roses!
s I actually used to get a bit pissed off that people couldn't
understand me, and my partner had to interpret, yes I was speaking
English well that Australian English that includes toilet,petrol etc
etc.Apparently I speak too quickly I think hes just trying to make me
feel better.
What about people saying 'excuse me' everytime they pass you in the
supermarket aisle,well they do it in Ohio.
One of my most exciting days was when the Kroger supermarket (OH) got
an international aisle,with cordial real stuff not that crap Kool
Aid.I don't think winning Lotto could even come close to the feeling I
had that day.

> "Rob" wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I once had the experience, in Idaho, of being in a supermarket and
    > unable
    > > to find some item (I can't remember what it was). I asked three or four
    > > staff members and got blank looks. I could understand them perfectly but
    > > they had no idea what I was saying. That Australian accent gets em every
    > > time...
    > >
    > > Rob :-)))
    > >
    > > "abba48uk" wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > You know you are a Brit in the USA when you speak perfectly clearly to a
    > > > USC and see a panic stricken, hunted look come into their eyes as they
    > > > look around for someone to translate. If only I could have a buck for
    > > > every time I have heard "Say again?"
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    > >

Old Mar 10th 2003, 11:23 am
nat
Forum Regular

nat will become famous soon enoughnat will become famous soon enough
Default Not British but ....

well used to the "say that again" because of my Irish accent!

Once when attempting to change my "disgusting and cold" cup of coffee for a hot chocolate instead, the attendant could not make out a word of what I was saying and an American man behind me had to translate!! Yes, I was speaking English, yes the attendant was speaking English and yes the American man was speaking English. And no I don't have a broad thick accent with a dialect of words not in the Oxford English dictionary Perhaps should couldn't comprehend that her coffee was actually awful?

Having spent 7+ years back and forth to the US, it soon becomes easier to use the "correct" words to be understood. Forget asking for tomato puree in a supermarket (I tried that once)!

N
Old Mar 10th 2003, 11:26 am
nat
Forum Regular

Default Re: OT: You know your British and new in the states if……

Originally posted by robclews
Patrick,

Have you noticed the lack of roundabouts here, i've only seen two here since I arrived and I went round both twice just for nostalgic reasons.

And do you get the 'are you from Australia' thing, jesus more people said I sounded like I was from Oz than I care to recall.

Rob
YES, I've seen one in the US with very very clear big instructions on the approach of what to do when you get there!
Old Mar 10th 2003, 11:30 am
nat
Forum Regular

Default AND ANOTHER

Stop signs! I went out, not being told about the stop signs. I couldn't get over how polite the drivers were... I would stop, they would stop and always insisted I go first

Good job I learnt early before ever reaching a 4-way stop section!
Old Mar 10th 2003, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Andrusha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: You know your British and new in the states if..

> This really made me laugh remembering similair stuff esp capsicums and the blank look it get.My partner and I go back and forth on this all the time over the usual stuff.
I couldn't believe the outback steakhouse and the stuff they were
serving as Aussie tucker......deep fried onion roses!
s I actually used to get a bit pissed off that people couldn't
understand me, and my partner had to interpret, yes I was speaking
English well that Australian English that includes toilet,petrol etc
etc.Apparently I speak too quickly I think hes just trying to make me
feel better.
What about people saying 'excuse me' everytime they pass you in the
supermarket aisle,well they do it in Ohio.
One of my most exciting days was when the Kroger supermarket (OH) got
an international aisle,with cordial real stuff not that crap Kool
Aid.I don't think winning Lotto could even come close to the feeling I
had that day.

I am not from Britain, or Australia...I´m from Czech Republic...but I must agree with all of you guys. I still cannot understand all the "Excuse me" stuff in the supermarkets...
Another thing...I had great problems ordering water (Oklahoma) - first because of my English accent (well, our University teachers did a great job) and second I have a feeling that they just don´t drink "normal" water there. My first experience was right after leaving the airport. We went to some typical ranch restaurant...the one where they eat peanuts and throw everything that´s left on the floor...and I ordered mineral water...well, finally, after spending 10 minutes explaining what a mineral water is (i.e. no, no coke, no sprite, no fanta....just water!) they poured me some from a tap...
I love coffee...I really do...strong black coffee, esspresso (preferably piccolo) would be the best for me. No chance in Oklahoma.
And....the restrooms...you know, when I enter any restaurant or pub or bar...I search for WC...hahaha...the restroom sing just doesn´t hit my eyes...and I ask for bathroom as well...my fiance makes fun of me (you want to take a bath NOW?!)...
Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:24 pm
darrenb

Your fiance makes fun of you because you call it a bathroom?

Last time I looked I found no beds, soft furnishings, ambient music, holistic therapies, soft sofas, reclining chairs or massage areas in any "restroom" I have ever been in.

Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:29 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I told someone who asked where I used to live that my most recent home was in Wales. They replied, "Oh, I love that part of England!" Granted, it's only about 10 feet in between the signs for England and Wales, but it's still a whole other country!!!! (Bless!) I've also been known to have a very bad turn of phrase at times, and I've had to refrain myself from saying, "Where's the bog?" whenever I needed the bathroom!!!

Also, I used to hate cinnamon, but I've become a cinnamon dots addict. I called Domino's the other night, as they had a deal on with the dots included, and they told me the offer had finished. I almost cried!!!!!!!! Still got em in the end, though!! Yeah!!!!!!!
Kate. xxxxxxxxx

Last edited by katesuiter1; Mar 10th 2003 at 1:31 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

I had the shock of my life the first time I went to dinner at Whits parents house.
I was asked if I liked squash!!!!! Now all you from the UK will know Squash there is a soft drink!!!!!!
So I replied oh sure only to find its this yellow veg type thing..lmao
And for the record,How the hell can you eat that stuff???? YUCK

Sal
Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Andrusha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by darrenb
Your fiance makes fun of you because you call it a bathroom?

Last time I looked I found no beds, soft furnishings, ambient music, holistic therapies, soft sofas, reclining chairs or massage areas in any "restroom" I have ever been in.
...probably "make fun of me" was not the right expression...."teasing" would have been better...
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:01 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Andrusha
...probably "make fun of me" was not the right expression...."teasing" would have been better...
Ken does a lot of that too..... teasing. I just had to change some of my expressions so that he could understand me. He has never had a problem with my accent. I just talk more slowly and that helps...
In my job back home I worked with people from all over the world... Americans, British, French, lots from the Netherlands and other parts of Europe, Japanese, Chinese, Pakistani's.... you name it we had them working with us. We were the world headquarters of an international research (irrigation) organisation, My immediate bosses have been British all throughout my working life ... I guess that helped! To me nothing seems "strange" anymore. Anymore than anyone in the US finds me "strange" .... hopefully
I have come to love Americans as a people. I find them sweet, genuine and very down to earth. I think that saying "excuse me" in the supermarket aisles is just their way of showing they respect your space. And it helps me to respect theirs... The Spokanites are very polite drivers as well... which helps also.

Last edited by Ranjini; Mar 10th 2003 at 3:04 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:07 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AND ANOTHER

Originally posted by nat
Stop signs! I went out, not being told about the stop signs. I couldn't get over how polite the drivers were... I would stop, they would stop and always insisted I go first

Good job I learnt early before ever reaching a 4-way stop section!
Nat,

Could you please explain that 4-way stop section to me?? I still can't decide who is meant to go first

Debbie
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:01 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dbark
Nat,

Could you please explain that 4-way stop section to me?? I still can't decide who is meant to go first

Debbie
You are kidding right? Whoever comes to the stop first. In other words... first come first served! Suggest you get the drivers handbook from the dmv...
Since you must have figured out how to drive on the right hand side of the road... the rest is easy

Last edited by Ranjini; Mar 10th 2003 at 4:04 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:22 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
You are kidding right? Whoever comes to the stop first. In other words... first come first served! Suggest you get the drivers handbook from the dmv...
Since you must have figured out how to drive on the right hand side of the road... the rest is easy
Okay then, what about if there is a queue there? And great idea, I will get a drivers handbook

Debbie
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Almost_Texanish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dbark
Okay then, what about if there is a queue there? And great idea, I will get a drivers handbook

Debbie
It's still first come first served cos if you're behind somebody you haven't reached the stop sign yet and you still have to stop. If somebody else is already stopped at the line when you stop they get to go first. If you both get there at the same time you give way to the right.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 4:25 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: OT: You know your British and new in the states if……

"dbark" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by nat
    > > Stop signs! I went out, not being told about the stop signs. I
    > > couldn't get over how polite the drivers were... I would stop, they
    > > would stop and always insisted I go first
    > >
    > > Good job I learnt early before ever reaching a 4-way stop section!
    > >
    > Nat,
    > Could you please explain that 4-way stop section to me?? I still can't
    > decide who is meant to go first

The driver of the cheapest car goes first

First person to arrive at the stop goes first. If there are already cars
then you proceed in a clockwise fashion going one at a time (specifically
you give way to the car to your right).

That's the theory - in practice you can turn right when it's not your turn
so long as that wouldn't impede the driver of the person who does have the
right of way. And it's frequently possible for two drivers to pass each
other when neither are making a turn. All of those things end up confusing
who really has the right of way so it does tend to become a game of chicken
sometimes!

It's one of those things you just have to get used to. I've been here long
enough I no longer automatically state that a given four-way stop should be
converted into a roundabout but many would be much easier that way!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.