Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

OT: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

Old Dec 10th 2002, 3:07 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

Hi everyone,

Just curious, how is everyone planning their wedding with their fiance(e)'s pending K-1 visa? I'm finding it hard to do not knowing the exact date of our big day...could anyone share their experiences or offer advice?

many thanks,
Juliet
Old Dec 10th 2002, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

loveabrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi everyone,

Just curious, how is everyone planning their wedding with their fiance(e)'s pending K-1 visa? I'm finding it hard to do not knowing the exact date of our big day...could anyone share their experiences or offer advice?

many thanks,
Juliet
Sure can...after a lot of researching...I found that there is NO guarantee on this approval...so my fiance' and I are having a little courtroom wedding in spring 2003...hopefully our K1 gets approved by then.
1st NOA July 9, 2002
RFE Dec. 5th
Nothing yet...I called today...still pending!

So we planned our big wedding in October 2003....his parents are planning to come to both...but this way our minds are at ease knowing the approval better be done by then! hehehe
Best wishes-t.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

hmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance and I were just going to go to the court house shortly after he got to the US and get married, but I felt bad that in doing it that way his family would not be able to attend but mine would.

We ended up setting a wedding date in May 2003 and are having a small outdoor ceremony at a beautiful estate house. This gave his family ample notice, so now they are able to come share our day with us. Now the real trick is trying to do everything on a small budget since we still have AOS fees after the wedding. We don't want to be completely broke our first year together
Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Plans??? I am supposed to make plans??? No one told me that! lol....I haven't set anything in concrete.......I am torn right now between a courthouse wedding or one in my backyard if we can plan the Wedding for April.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:58 am
Ronald Austin

Default Re: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

My fiancé and I are not planning as yet, since first NOA was only 11/18. She
says the INS/DoS are in charge of our wedding plans right now. ;-) We're
going to have a small ceremony and will plan it when we get visa in hand.
Ron

"jcapulet" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    > Just curious, how is everyone planning their wedding with their
    > fiance(e)'s pending K-1 visa? I'm finding it hard to do not knowing the
    > exact date of our big day...could anyone share their experiences or
    > offer advice?
    > many thanks,
    > Juliet
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 10th 2002, 6:47 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Corey and myself haven't made any concrete plans, either. We talked about something small at first, then going back to the UK when we've saved enough for a full church blessing, reception, and honeymoon. I've promised to take him sightseeing in London. I don't want him to meet my loony Irish aunts too soon, though, they'll scare him away!!!!!!!! Hee hee!!!! Only kidding, family o' mine!!!!!!!!
Kate. xxxx
Old Dec 10th 2002, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on our FOURTH date......lol. At least this one should work. We bought a house together and are getting married in our home .
Gee, wish I'd thought of the Elvis gig first though.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:10 am
Nyb

Default Re: Wedding planning with pending K-1?

"jcapulet" wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    > Just curious, how is everyone planning their wedding with their
    > fiance(e)'s pending K-1 visa? I'm finding it hard to do not knowing the
    > exact date of our big day...could anyone share their experiences or
    > offer advice?
    > many thanks,
    > Juliet
    > --

We had originally planned a wedding in The Outer Banks but due to the time
limitations we've decided we're going to fly to Vegas and ask Elvis to do
the honours.

Sean

Old Dec 10th 2002, 8:38 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing your experiences I guess I can continue to do research for choices for our reception site, photos, etc. until Cory gets his visa, and then we can make the final decision on the "runners up" (lol) when he gets here. We really want a church ceremony, but the 6-month pre-marital counseling doesn't sound like it can happen in that 3 month period we have to get married. Maybe the priest will make an exception...but either a church or a courthouse, we'll be elated to be finally married with no more painful goodbyes at the airport! Thanks again everyone!

Juliet
Old Dec 10th 2002, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

We really want a church ceremony, but the 6-month pre-marital counseling doesn't sound like it can happen in that 3 month period we have to get married. Maybe the priest will make an exception...
We had a huge time crunch in our case. We realized that the easiest for us was to get married ASAP while I was on a student visa (we first wanted to get married in France 8 months later). First, we thought about doing a church wedding (catholic) in the US and we had less than 2 months time (date was not flexible because my parents were to come and have fixed vacations). I visited several churches, and the student parish at our university was really helpful and understanding. The deacon had the diocese give us a waiver or something similar to have the preparation be quick. Then, we changed our minds because we found out a couple weeks later that the French church could not do a renewal of vows ceremony, but we were still done with US church preparation in less than 2 months, and the deacon would have married us in the church after that time. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help...

Caroline
Old Dec 10th 2002, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

groovy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had this problem too and at some point we decided the easiest thing to do in order to not offend the families would be to have a private court wedding ASAP in the States after I got my K1

and a few months later a bigger wedding with both families...

This is the best we could do :-) after LOTS of thinking !

best,
groovy
Old Dec 10th 2002, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

gracejilly is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as he gets his interview date, I am going to start the planning. I figure I need at least 2 months time. (for invites to get out and for people to make travel arrangements). I hope
Old Dec 10th 2002, 1:09 pm
Dominic Melo

We set a date of May 24th 2003. We just submitted the I-129F and I am going
to open a provisional file in London as soon as I get back from christmas
and new year vacation... 6 months from submission to issuance of K-1 - who
wants to run a betting pool??

We have the church and everything big wedding etc... gulp... fingers
crossed.

Although with TSC at the moment ...tick tock...

-Dominic

"gracejilly" wrote in message
    > As soon as he gets his interview date, I am going to start the planning.
    > I figure I need at least 2 months time. (for invites to get out and for
    > people to make travel arrangements). I hope
    > --

Old Dec 10th 2002, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Garyexbradford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi everyone,

many thanks,
Juliet
Don't do what I/we did!!! We 2nd guessed the system and told friends and family in Blighty that it would be a weeding on 11th July. I did add the caveat about delays etc so warned folks not to book flights until we knew for sure. Sadly my sis and her tribe in Greece took that as the green light to book a holiday and cruise in Florida. Well, wouldn't you know, thanks to the 6 week delay in being provided with my clean police report, I didn't get interviewed for my K-1 until August, never mind though, my ister had a great holiday all the same.

Seriously though, I got the visa 5th Aug and arrived here 1st Oct after selling house and working my notice. We got marreid in the local courthouse on 29th Oct with absolutely no guests. The plan is to have a bit of a do next spring when all my lot can fly in from wherever they are in Europe.

The next bit is bad, I told my sis in Greece that we got married and she was dead chuffed but so far my mother thinks I'm still single. Any ideas how to break it to her gently??
Old Dec 10th 2002, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been through two marriages and swore that I would never, ever get married again. So I was on the east coast with a job offer to start in Texas seven months later and started looking online to meet gals in Texas. I stumbled across the most wonderful person I have ever met, the most perfect match that I could imagine, but darn if she is in China. She has been through three marriages, but darn if I am in the US. We have no choice but to get married if we want to be together -- but we still each plan to keep a house on each side of the crick.

The courthouse and blue jeans will work just fine for us old folks. The INS sets the date: figure a few days after she arrives. We waited this long, so we can easily wait for a vacation to Vegas to let Elvis do a more formal job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.