Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Update on the accident

OT: Update on the accident

Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:42 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Update on the accident

Oh boy, it's been a long night! It's almost 3:45 am where I am, 9:45 am where he is.......and I have some things on which to update the group, thank god.

If you read my previous post regarding Mr. P. and his accident you know that until then I hadn't spoken to anyone except his parents who had been with him up until the time he went through the doors to the operating room. Funny story: the nurse was doing his pre-op prep and she leaned over and whispered to him, "are you wearing any pants?" to which he smiled lazily and dazed due to anesthetic, "no..................are you?" I guess they can crush his hand but never his sense of humor. Apparently then, in true British gentlemanly style, he was apologizing all the way through the doors into the operation, at the risk of offending the nurse......

I called the hospital at a little after midnight his time and after four hours in surgery, he had just made it into recovery but of course the nurse couldn't tell me anything. She did say something odd though, when I told her, "I am --------, the fiancee of --------- and I'm calling from America to inquire about his status?" She said quite happily, "OH! we've been waiting for you to call!" Guess he knows me well.

At that point the orthopedic surgeon came on the line and told me that he was going to consult "with his collegue" but that Mr. P. was actually UP at that moment and using the bathroom. Hmmm. thought I, how the hell is he doing *that*? *sigh*

I took that as a very good sign that he wasn't bed ridden, and the orthopedic surgeon said, "we had been waiting for your call, Miss" (damn I'm popular!) and "could you please call back at half past seven?" yes, sure thing.

(wait one hour, drink a bit and shake head slightly at how much I love the fact that he's using the bathroom. LOL)

Call in one hour, get desk nurse again, "Yes, we've been waiting for your call! I'll go see if he's awake"........leaves me sputtering to even say anything coherent! I hear shuffling, and I hear her say, "it's your girl from America!" (???? vs. his girl from the Phillipines or something I guess....!) and he shuffles into the chair. "Hi, Love, it will get better............)

He had no idea his hand contained a metal plate, wires, and screws to keep it together, that was complete news to him. The right hand was the crushed one, but the left hand pinky finger was split literally in half down the bone also, and he complained that this one was a *hurty* but the other one was "just as big as my head". While we were talking, he was suddenly surround by what he described as "lotsa people in white coats" and was asked to move his fingers. Much to the Drs surprise, and mine, and HIS! he was able to move all ten fingers. I've never been so happy to hear "I can move!" in all my life.

I told him I would call him later on this morning his time (no sleep tonight I think), and I also told him that I was so sorry for the way we left things this morning. It will be ok, although he says he's "lost a bit of confidence" in the shipping company (leave it to the Brits to be so polite!) and we're going to have to figure out what to do with that. I will be handling that with the general manager of the co. in a few hours and he isn't going to know what hit him. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that there are extreme extenuating circumstances with the company's conduct in this matter.

I have no idea what the doctors will say tomorrow, but I had a wonderful conversation with his mum just a few minutes ago, detailing our conversation. Good things can come out of bad and this is one of them. I'm so lucky that he's alive and well (sorta!) and that I had a beautiful friend come and spend the evening with me. We looked at pics of the two of us and laughed and cried and it helped me so much.

I told him that you all were closing ranks and rallying round us tonight and he wants me to thank you all from the bottom of his heart and let you know that if he can find a keyboard somewhere and can find a way to type with his bandaged left hand, he'll talk to you directly. I told you he was stubborn.

I love you all, and I thank you all so much. I'll keep you updated to his progress as things commence. I should know quite a bit more tomorrow. The love of this group is a damn powerful thing, and I am so lucky and thankful to be on the receiving end of it.

Thankfully,
~SG
~and Mr. Pink who keeps me laughing and loving him no matter what comes our way.....................
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Update on the accident

SG,
Next time when you talk to him, please give him our greetings and tell him we are thinking of him, and hoping for a speedy recovery.
>>insert hugging smilie<<
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:54 am
The Survivors!!

Clare & Steven is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent news! So glad to hear he moved his fingers!! How relieved you must feel...whew! Hope his road to recovery is a quick one and you are together soon
Hugs, Clare
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:12 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

That's such fantastic news SG. I called Steve last night right after chatting with you and gave him a lecture on turning his phone off after we've had one of our tiffs. He's promised never to do it again. In a perverse way Mr P's accident has resolved a lot of issues we were having and we've now cleared the air over it. A thank you doesn't quite seem appropiate but you know what I mean!

Please pass on my very best wishes to Mr P, tell him to take all the drugs he's offered and to take care.

Don't you just love the Brit stiff upper lip! We could have both legs hanging off but it would still be "no more than a flesh wound"!.

S
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:37 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

SG & Mr. Pink,

I only just read this post a few minutes ago, and didn't even know what had happened! I was shocked to read about what happened, but I'm glad to hear that he can still stay upbeat, and he's doing better this morning. My thoughts are with you both, and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That's great that he can move his fingers, it bodes well for his recovery. Now just imagine the fun he'll have going through x-ray machines at the airport with a metal plate in his hand! That is, assuming he keeps the plate long term.

I'm glad you had a friend come over and help you through this. No one should be alone at a time like this.

I'm wishing him a speedy recovery and you the strength to help him through.

Jamie
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Dorceia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Oh boy, it's been a long night! It's almost 3:45 am where I am, 9:45 am where he is.......and I have some things on which to update the group, thank god.

If you read my previous post regarding Mr. P. and his accident you know that until then I hadn't spoken to anyone except his parents who had been with him up until the time he went through the doors to the operating room. Funny story: the nurse was doing his pre-op prep and she leaned over and whispered to him, "are you wearing any pants?" to which he smiled lazily and dazed due to anesthetic, "no..................are you?" I guess they can crush his hand but never his sense of humor. Apparently then, in true British gentlemanly style, he was apologizing all the way through the doors into the operation, at the risk of offending the nurse......

I called the hospital at a little after midnight his time and after four hours in surgery, he had just made it into recovery but of course the nurse couldn't tell me anything. She did say something odd though, when I told her, "I am --------, the fiancee of --------- and I'm calling from America to inquire about his status?" She said quite happily, "OH! we've been waiting for you to call!" Guess he knows me well.

At that point the orthopedic surgeon came on the line and told me that he was going to consult "with his collegue" but that Mr. P. was actually UP at that moment and using the bathroom. Hmmm. thought I, how the hell is he doing *that*? *sigh*

I took that as a very good sign that he wasn't bed ridden, and the orthopedic surgeon said, "we had been waiting for your call, Miss" (damn I'm popular!) and "could you please call back at half past seven?" yes, sure thing.

(wait one hour, drink a bit and shake head slightly at how much I love the fact that he's using the bathroom. LOL)

Call in one hour, get desk nurse again, "Yes, we've been waiting for your call! I'll go see if he's awake"........leaves me sputtering to even say anything coherent! I hear shuffling, and I hear her say, "it's your girl from America!" (???? vs. his girl from the Phillipines or something I guess....!) and he shuffles into the chair. "Hi, Love, it will get better............)

He had no idea his hand contained a metal plate, wires, and screws to keep it together, that was complete news to him. The right hand was the crushed one, but the left hand pinky finger was split literally in half down the bone also, and he complained that this one was a *hurty* but the other one was "just as big as my head". While we were talking, he was suddenly surround by what he described as "lotsa people in white coats" and was asked to move his fingers. Much to the Drs surprise, and mine, and HIS! he was able to move all ten fingers. I've never been so happy to hear "I can move!" in all my life.

I told him I would call him later on this morning his time (no sleep tonight I think), and I also told him that I was so sorry for the way we left things this morning. It will be ok, although he says he's "lost a bit of confidence" in the shipping company (leave it to the Brits to be so polite!) and we're going to have to figure out what to do with that. I will be handling that with the general manager of the co. in a few hours and he isn't going to know what hit him. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that there are extreme extenuating circumstances with the company's conduct in this matter.

I have no idea what the doctors will say tomorrow, but I had a wonderful conversation with his mum just a few minutes ago, detailing our conversation. Good things can come out of bad and this is one of them. I'm so lucky that he's alive and well (sorta!) and that I had a beautiful friend come and spend the evening with me. We looked at pics of the two of us and laughed and cried and it helped me so much.

I told him that you all were closing ranks and rallying round us tonight and he wants me to thank you all from the bottom of his heart and let you know that if he can find a keyboard somewhere and can find a way to type with his bandaged left hand, he'll talk to you directly. I told you he was stubborn.

I love you all, and I thank you all so much. I'll keep you updated to his progress as things commence. I should know quite a bit more tomorrow. The love of this group is a damn powerful thing, and I am so lucky and thankful to be on the receiving end of it.

Thankfully,
~SG
~and Mr. Pink who keeps me laughing and loving him no matter what comes our way.....................
Very glad that he is doing well and that his spirits are up. A good sign that he will do well.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:12 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to you both

This is very very good news and I hope every day is an improvement on the previous one. I'm so happy for you both.

Maggie

Originally posted by SecretGarden

Thankfully,
~SG
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

SG,

His hand is going to look even better once it has a ring on it and is holding yours. Wishing you both well and for a speedy recovery.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Just saw the story. A hand is such a scary thing, but there are wonderful things that can be done now. Glad to hear that he is mending well and wishing you both good luck and good healing.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Alicia&Driss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello just wanted to say Im so glad you have gotten to speak with Mr.P. I know this has to be a big relief on you. Thank God that under the circumstances he is doing well. Thoughts and prayers are still with you both during this time. As said before, I wish him a speedy and full recovery. God Bless
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

K-1 Visa Issues

SC

It looks like Mr. Pink will retain the use of his hand (Yahoo!) but he will be needing extensive medical care and therapy. I know it is the last thing on your mind today but file the thought away.

His visa must be used within six months from the date of issue. If you are unable to marry immediately and have him placed under your medical insurance asa he arrives and if your medical insurance will not cover the cost of continued treatment while he is here in the US, you and he have to discuss what to do at that point.

He might be better served to continue treatment in the UK which might well mean that you have to postpone his arrival until well after the six month validity period. If this is the case, I urge you to contact the US Consulate and fully detail the problem and ask if they would be willing to extend the validity date of the current K-1 for another few months if you find that by month five, he is not able to come to the US for a while yet.

Or perhaps you might want to go there, get married, and apply for your leave to remain in the UK with him during this time. Then when the time is right for him to come to the US, you can do a DCF from the US Consulate.

Just some thoughts for you to file away for future use.

Rete
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:26 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

SG,

I am really happy to hear he's doing well after the rough night. Wonderful news that he can move all his fingers Best wishes to you two for his speedy recovery.

Hugs,
Juliet
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:32 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Thats great news just read your original post then this one.

You must be extremely relieved! Are you thinking of taking legal action?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

SG,

I just read the story of the accident. I feel so sorry for what has happened. My prayers are going out for you two. I've never been a person to be real good with words, but I want you to know that I am deeply saddened by what has happened to Mr. P. It sounds to me that if he is already up and moving around, and moving his fingers that that is a VERY GOOD SIGN. I wish him a speedy recovery and please keep us updated.

Lily,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.