Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT - slightly: England to Nyc/tri-state area?

OT - slightly: England to Nyc/tri-state area?

Old Jul 1st 2002, 11:20 pm
Lucyo

Default OT - slightly: England to Nyc/tri-state area?

Hello! Is or has, anyone moved from the UK to the tri-state area/NYc? I am
getting married as soon as I get my visa - ( My K1 interview is in 2 weeks time).
Just nervous about moving permanently to NY, although have been many many times
to visit- of course ! My Fiance is a New Yorker! I am nervous about adjusting to
life permanently there, and if Iwill get awfully homesick for not only family,
but- british custom/culture, food (!what?). I dont know what ia m asking really,
just airing my nerves and hope to have some contact with other Brits maybe, when
I am there.

Nervous and Excited! Lucy

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 12:33 am
Mez
Just Joined

Mez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT - slightly: England to Nyc/tri-state area?

Hi Lucy,

My husband and I will be moving from England to NY or PA in August. We haven't decided which state yet -- depends on where we find the house of our dreams! But I grew up in northern New Jersey, and I can assure you that you'll find all sorts of cultures represented in the NY-metro area, including British. It's a great big smorgasbord, and a very nice place to live. You certainly shouldn't be bored...and you might even find a British pub or two (tho you'll likely find more Irish pubs!)

My husband (who's British) says the most important thing is to live within 5 miles of a WALMART!!

Good luck and don't worry.
Mez (USC) & Pez (UK)
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 3:20 am
Donna Maindraul

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
(lucyo) wrote:

> I am nervous about adjusting to life permanently there, and if Iwill get awfully
    > homesick for not only family, but- british custom/culture, food (!what?).

<Obligatory comment about the likelihood of anyone being homesick for British
food omitted>

Fairway at Broadway and 74th has a shelf of "British foods," including that brown
sludge that you folks put on your toast. (The rest of the store is mostly Italian and
French food.)

67 Wine and Spirits (http://www.67wine.com/pro.html) at 68th and Columbus Ave. has a
fine selection of single malt whisky. (The rest of the store is mostly French and
Italian wine.)

I believe that there is an English restaurant in an English clothing store, Nicole
something, on 60th just east of Fifth Ave. There are also plenty of Indian
restaurants. (Plenty of French and Italian as well.)

If you see any man wearing a tweed sportcoat and carrying an umbrella, you can assume
that he's English. Also most of the kids with blue or spiked hair. Piercings are not
necessarily indicative, though.

-Donna

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Donna Maindraul

In article <[email protected]>, Mez <[email protected]> wrote:

> My husband (who's British) says the most important thing is to live within 5 miles
    > of a WALMART!!

There aren't any Walmarts in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan areas. Walmart prefers to open
stores in rural areas where the only competition is small shops that they can drive
out of business in a couple of years. Once the competition is gone, they evaluate the
profitability of a store and decide whether to keep it open or not.

My parents, in the Tulsa, OK area, saw all of the little grocery stores close when a
big Walmart opened up. It closed 3 yeras later, and they now drive 20 miles...to the
next Walmart. They have no choice.

My French husband has visited grocery stores in the suburbs of New Jersey as well as
that Walmart, and doesn't think it would be easy for a European to live there. We can
get raw milk cheese, baguettes, sausages, etc.

I'm not sure if this would be as significant to the English because they're not as
particular about food, at least in the same way. I don't see much imported British
food, unless you count tea grown in India and China and then packaged by British
companies as British. The only thing I can think of as specifically marketed to
exiles is that Marmite and some kind of "lemon curd."

-Donna

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Andy Platt

"Mez" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My husband (who's British) says the most important thing is to live within 5 miles
    > of a WALMART!!

That's funny, cause this British guy says live as far away from a Walmart as you
possibly can!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My Canuck would love to rent a room from Sam. He loves Walmart and K-mart but most of all Canadian Tire. I head for St. Hubert's and he goes to CT when we go back to Canada.

Lucy

You are experiencng a normal reaction to such a life altering decision. It won't be easy for you and you will miss more than just the food and the language. Homesickness is one of the hardest things to adjust to and on top of that you have the adjust to marriage and trying to deal with INS at the very same time.

NYC has many transplanted Brits and it sometimes, from reading the NG, seems like England is once again trying to colonize Manhattan. Look online and you will find some organizations that are geared to your countrymen and will help you adjust to your new home. Also look at your country's Consulate website. You might find links there to help you adjust.

Take it slow and you will be fine. You can always make beans and toast and as Donna pointed you in the direction to buy that yucky brown stuff you guys adore, you should at least be able to have a culinary recreation of home.

R
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Mez
Just Joined

Mez is an unknown quantity at this point

>There aren't any Walmarts in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan areas.

Not true. There are 10 Walmarts within 41 miles of NYC alone, the closest being 14 miles. It's the really rural areas, like in upper NY State -- almost in Canada -- where one would be hard-pressed to find a Walmart in easy driving distance.

I do understand the disparagement of Walmart over there, but we really enjoy the store on our visits. Mostly because a) there are several things I as an American can't get here in England which Walmart always has a great selection of, all in one place, and b) the prices are some of the lowest compared to going to a US supermarket chain.

As far as getting English goods -- Lucy, if you like your tea then make sure you stock up before you go! American tea is, shall we say, an 'acquired taste'...that's if it don't kill you first. You may already know that American bacon and sausage is different in taste to the English sort...There's nothing to be done about that as it's illegal to import meat. Dry and canned goods, however, can always be got via postal care package from your family here. I think there are also some sites online that cater to British taste and can get you the things you might miss -- tho at a cost.

Your best bet is to pack an extra suitcase when you come home to visit, to fill with the things you want in the US. I've been doing the same with American goods for several years. The only problem is explaining to Customs (if they stop you) why you've got a supermarket in your suitcase! /Mez
Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Morkai Kurst

> I'm not sure if this would be as significant to the English because they're not as
    > particular about food, at least in the same way.

Decent bread!!! American white bread has got to be the thing I hate the most, it's
got far too much sugar in it, it's positively sweet. And down south they put so much
wax in the chocolate to stop it melting its horrible, and they don't have enough
cadburys except at easter. Mars bars have nuts in?? Whats with that. Twix is made
with hersheys which personally I can't stand. But according to EU law cadburys isn't
allowed to call its chocolate chocolate because its got too much milk in it or
something equally stupid so maybe that's why it tastes better than everyone elses.

Food wise its gonna take me a long long time to get used to american stuph. It's just
not the same and this particular brit is very particular. I can't believe they have
heinz ketchup but try finding heinz soup in walmart or albertsons, not a chance, its
all campbells. Wafer thin ham for making sandwiches made from real ham, not some
processed stuff that bears strange resembalance to ham. Good old fashioned back
bacon. Its made of bacon with a thin strip of fat round the edge. All I've ever found
in walmart is streaky stuff that is more fat than actual bacon.

I could go on, I will be getting parcels of bisto and cornflour sent out, unless I
can find an equivilant, not much joy so far. Oh and my PG-Tips, you can only get
Liptons in louisianna and its not the same, I always take a big stash with me when I
go visit - mind you they can't get the hang of the idea of drinking it hot let alone
with milk in. (I have converted my partner though

Dunno about lemon curd, never been a fan of that, and I'm part of the bovril cult
rather than marmite but its still sludgy brown stuph as far as the americans are
concerned *grin*.

I guess we all have our foibles, one thing I really miss when I come back is good
jerky which you just can't get here and decent steak. English can't cook steak as
good as they can over in the US - I will figure out how to make teriyaki marinade one
of these days.

Morkai

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:55 pm
Simon Jessey

<and I'm part of the bovril cult rather than marmite>

I've got both <G> I get my Bovril from BBC America's shop
(http://bbcamerica.com) and my wife insists on
calling it "concentrated BSE".

You can get Terry's Chocolate Orange from the CVS drugstore, the genuine
article. Also, the Cadbury's Creme Eggs are now from England instead of
Hershey's, thank goodness.

Simon Jessey

See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:-
http://jessey.net/visa

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 3:20 pm
Simon Jessey

<I am nervous about adjusting to life permanently there, and if Iwill get awfully
homesick for not only family, but- british ustom/culture, food>

I'm in the Philadelphia area (under 2 hours away). My website has a few ideas about
where you can get British stuff. I can't survive without my Ribena, Bovril and fish
paste LOL.

Simon Jessey

See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:- http://jessey.net/visa

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 4:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mez
>There aren't any Walmarts in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan areas.

Not true. There are 10 Walmarts within 41 miles of NYC alone, the closest being 14 miles. It's the really rural areas, like in upper NY State -- almost in Canada -- where one would be hard-pressed to find a Walmart in easy driving distance.

/Mez
Heck Mez

41 miles outside of New York is a long trip to go shopping. At least for me. I know I could go to the one in Manlapan, NJ when I visit my family. Or I can go up County a bit to shop or even over to Connecticut. But another state just to shop? Nah, that's not me. I know also there must be one on the Island somewhere but I'm not an Island visitor unless it is to see friends or go to a concert at Jones Beach.

My town has voted down Walmart at every opportunity. We didn't need them in town to get rid of Pergaments, Rickels, Caldors, Woolworth's, Sterns, Wanamakers, etc. The economy and other factors did it to them. Personally, I miss the 5 and 10 cent stores and H.L. Greens which was dubbed the quarter store. It sold a slightly better class of merchandise. I don't care for malls and their social structure and having to step around harried shoppers, crying babies and teenagers who don't have a clue what creativity is all about. Oh well my bitch for the day.

Rete
Old Jul 5th 2002, 4:20 pm
L D Jones

Morkai Kurst wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure if this would be as significant to the English because they're not
    > > as particular about food, at least in the same way.
    >
    > Decent bread!!! American white bread has got to be the thing I hate the most, it's
    > got far too much sugar in it, it's positively sweet. And down

Yes, standard US bread is horrible (I'm American and I hate it). There is little
difference between the white stuff and most other kinds on the average supermarket
shelf. My British wife says most US foods have too much sugar in them. Having lived
in the UK for 4 years and after re-examining labels after returning to the US I tend
to agree with her. The types of foods that include sugar here is incredible.

> I could go on, I will be getting parcels of bisto and cornflour sent out, unless I
    > can find an equivilant, not much joy so far. Oh and my PG-Tips, you

I prefer Sainsbury's own brand tea

Old Jul 9th 2002, 12:15 pm
J.P.

Ought'a take a trip to Canada.... The majority of this stuff is available right at
your local supermarket!

JP

[email protected] (Simon Jessey) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > <and I'm part of the bovril cult rather than marmite>
    > I've got both <G> I get my Bovril from BBC America's shop
    > (http://bbcamerica.com) and my wife insists on
    > calling it "concentrated BSE".
    > You can get Terry's Chocolate Orange from the CVS drugstore, the genuine article.
    > Also, the Cadbury's Creme Eggs are now from England instead of Hershey's, thank
    > goodness.
    > Simon Jessey
    > See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:-
    > http://jessey.net/visa