Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Return or one-way ticket... which to go with?

OT: Return or one-way ticket... which to go with?

Old May 3rd 2003, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cindyabs
It is also a matter of what "season" you fly, low, shoulder or high. Summertime is always high season. Late fall and winter (when the weather's usually not swell) is low season. Right now it's shoulder season.
I guess as he is researching it now he will be travelling soon, up until the end of May has always been a good time to fly from the UK to the USA that is reflected it BA's current price structure.

Rob
Old May 3rd 2003, 3:32 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default No problem- no cancelation fees

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Thanks to everyone who's responded thus far.

I'll have to see what Mark's been looking at exactly, because he told me that when he's looked into the cancellation policies, they state that even if you don't show up, the airlines will charge a cancellation fee. He said the amount of the cancellation fee depends on where you book the ticket (ebookers.com, Expedia, etc.).

However, when I did a search for a return ticket in Expedia, it just said it was nonrefundable/nonchangeable. It did not say anything about a cancellation fee. Only the one-way ticket search results said anything about a cancellation fee. Maybe Mark's looking up the wrong stuff.

In any case, our other concern about whether they would try to contact us if he didn't show up for his return flight has more to do with security issues than anything else. Obviously, if someone buys a return ticket but doesn't return, that might set off alarm bells if the passenger didn't contact the airline ahead of time. (Of course, we wouldn't want to be charged a cancellation fee if he DOES ring them up!)

~ Jenney
There is no problem in only using half of a round trip ticket, and the cancelation fee the speak of is if you cancel before you use the 1st half of the ticket.
Old May 3rd 2003, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

sandy- pie is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, my boy got a one way ticket out of heathrow with virgin airlines...direct to SFO for 91 pounds. He went with STA. Extremely good deal, like obsurdly good.!!! He flys out on may 20th.
Old May 3rd 2003, 7:33 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sandy- pie
ok, my boy got a one way ticket out of heathrow with virgin airlines...direct to SFO for 91 pounds. He went with STA. Extremely good deal, like obsurdly good.!!! He flys out on may 20th.
Can't beat that with a stick!!!
Old May 3rd 2003, 7:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Just as point of comparison what I was talking about, using the UK wholesale sites over the US ones for flights from UK to here-just checked 10 August (HIGH season) one way from BHX-SAV. Expedia wanted 1266.42 USD, www.airline-network.co.uk gave me 425.50 GBP. SAME exact flight on Continental. I know the dollar isn't as strong as it was but......