OT: The Penge Bungalow Murders

OT: The Penge Bungalow Murders

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT: The Penge Bungalow Murders

Hi:

This message is limited to BritishExpats --

Has anyone read John Mortimer's newest: The Penge Bungalow Murders.

I understand that not only does the book describe that case, it describes how Horace met She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: The Penge Bungalow Murders

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I understand that not only does the book describe that case, it describes how Horace met She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I will show my ignorance. Who is John Mortimer and never heard of the Penge Bungalow Murders.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
I will show my ignorance. Who is John Mortimer and never heard of the Penge Bungalow Murders.
Hi:

The late Leo McKearn, when asked if he was worried about being typecast, referred to John Mortimer, Q.C., as "He Who Must Be Obeyed."

I'm shocked at your statement! Postively shocked. I simply cannot believe that anyone who has ever worked in the law has never heard of John Mortimer, Q.C. and his creation, the two greatest lawyers ever in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I really liked the TV adaptation. Never read the books.

Did it show over here, did not think it was quite suited to US market.

I often use the phrase, and of course ''her indoors'

Did Inspector Morse make it? I could see that working.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:10 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: OT: The Penge Bungalow Murders

Hi:

I haven't read it, I didn't know about it until now!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

The late Leo McKearn, when asked if he was worried about being typecast, referred to John Mortimer, Q.C., as "He Who Must Be Obeyed."

I'm shocked at your statement! Postively shocked. I simply cannot believe that anyone who has ever worked in the law has never heard of John Mortimer, Q.C. and his creation, the two greatest lawyers ever in the UK.

Sorry to send you into shock but it is the truth. The name Mortimer is not an unusual one and I've heard it before but not in relation to a British attorney. What is his creation? I still don't understand. He is an attorney and a writer? Or a member of the society of domination? Does he have a whip and wear leather ;-)
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:21 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have a whip and wear leather ;-)
hehehe naughty Rete!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

I remember watching the late Leo McKearn in this role... he was an excellent actor. I hope Morse comes back; I lived in Oxford for 15 years until September this year and spent each episode place-spotting.

Kath
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
I really liked the TV adaptation. Never read the books.

Did it show over here, did not think it was quite suited to US market.

I often use the phrase, and of course ''her indoors'

Did Inspector Morse make it? I could see that working.
Hi:

Both programs were on PBS as have been the Prime Suspect series.

American lawyers just LOVE Rumpole -- even some of those "Old Darlings" on the bench. Did you know that the outside shots of the Chambers on Equity Court are actually those of Mortimer's Chambers? I have a pic of yours truly posing by the hanging shingles. Its right across from the Temple Church.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Sorry to send you into shock but it is the truth. The name Mortimer is not an unusual one and I've heard it before but not in relation to a British attorney. What is his creation? I still don't understand. He is an attorney and a writer? Or a member of the society of domination? Does he have a whip and wear leather ;-)
Hilda Rumpole nee Wystan is "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Come on Rete -- you strike me as a person who would just love Rumpole.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:31 am
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Ah!!! Mr F ..RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY classic 70s television, never missed an episode and don't forget to add his full title Sir John Clifford Mortimer CBE QC.

A definite must for you to get the DVD sets of the TV series.. The BBC store has them.

Pic.. Leo McKern
Attached Thumbnails OT:  The Penge Bungalow Murders-rumpoleofth.jpg  

Last edited by MightBe; Nov 23rd 2004 at 4:35 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:36 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Gee... and i thought you meant Ray's wife.

<As the Cheshire Cat disappeared... all but her smile>
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:23 am
Concierge

Come on Rete -- you strike me as a person who would just love Rumpole.

Perhaps I might but the fact is that I've tried a few times in my younger years to watch British TV series on PBS and never found them entertaining, i.e. Up the Downstair Case. My first husband loved Monty Pyton but I never saw the humour in it. I know this site is for British expats so sorry, don't mean to offend.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was never that keen on Monty Python either, but these are from 40 plus years ago, bit like saying you did not like Kojak so never watched any other US programming.

We have BBC America, a wasted opportunity in many respects, but they did show Brilliant (cut down version of The Last Show), and of course The Office and one of my favourites Little Britain. There is also Coupling, a sort of grown up version of Friends.

Most of the better comedy programmes start life as Radio shows and can be heard on the BBC web site.

I just wonder how an unalduterated US version of Gimmee Gimmee would go over on main stream US TV?.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MightBe
Ah!!! Mr F ..RUMPOLE OF THE BAILEY classic 70s television, never missed an episode and don't forget to add his full title Sir John Clifford Mortimer CBE QC.
Some folks in the US may better remember Leo McKern as the monk in Ladyhawke - the one who nurses Isabeau back to health. Others, closer to my age, will remember him as Number Two in the cult TV series the Prisoner!

Ian - I am not a number, I am a free man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.