Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: This Old Gal Still Has It In Her

OT: This Old Gal Still Has It In Her

Old May 1st 2004, 6:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: This Old Gal Still Has It In Her

Jim and I just completed our fifth year as participants in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancer in New York City. We did the 5K in under an hour (57 minutes and 39 seconds) shaving a full minute off of last year's walk. It is difficult to walk fast when there are over 37,000 participants.

I raised $562 for the cause and Jim raised $463.

And a special thank you to my newsgroup friends, Ranjini and LKish, for their online contribution to this worthwhile cause in my name. I was proud to take part in it again this year as a 13 year survivor of breast cancer. I walked in honor of LKish's mother, Audrey Kish, who also had breast cancer.

It is so sad to see fathers walking or pushing carriages with their children and wearing signs on their backs stating they are walking in memory of their wives who have died of cancer. Two of the wives were 46 and 38.

Hats off though to the lovely senior citizen, Ms. Salito, who at the age of 96 was walking the 5K with her daughter, her granddaughter and her greatgranddaughter. The youngest was pushing the wheelchair which Ms. Salito refused to sit in stating her legs still worked.

I'm hoping that when the Revlon Run/Walk comes to Chicago and Los Angeles in the next few months, there will be a representative or two from the forum for this good cause.

My prayer is that no one here ever has to deal with or experience this disease in themselves or someone they love.

Rete
Old May 1st 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

silent-whispers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: This Old Gal Still Has It In Her

Originally posted by Rete
Jim and I just completed our fifth year as participants in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancer in New York City. We did the 5K in under an hour (57 minutes and 39 seconds) shaving a full minute off of last year's walk. It is difficult to walk fast when there are over 37,000 participants.

And a special thank you to my newsgroup friends, Ranjini and LKish, for their online contribution to this worthwhile cause in my name. I was proud to take part in it again this year as a 13 year survivor of breast cancer. I walked in honor of LKish's mother, Audrey Kish, who also had breast cancer.

It is so sad to see fathers walking or pushing carriages with their children and wearing signs on their backs stating they are walking in memory of their wives who have died of cancer. Two of the wives were 46 and 38.

Hats off though to the lovely senior citizen, Ms. Salito, who at the age of 96 was walking the 5K with her daughter, her granddaughter and her greatgranddaughter. The youngest was pushing the wheelchair which Ms. Salito refused to sit in stating her legs still worked.

I'm hoping that when the Revlon Run/Walk comes to Chicago and Los Angeles in the next few months, there will be a representative or two from the forum for this good cause.

My prayer is that no one here ever has to deal with or experience this disease in themselves or someone they love.

Rete
It's good to see support towards such a terrible disease, hopefully one day they will find a cure ~ and to you Rete, you give hope and courage to those facing the disease in it's early years..more and more people are surviving these days.~ thank you Rete.

May I also add my prayers that no-one here has to deal with this ~

Last edited by silent-whispers; May 1st 2004 at 7:30 pm.
Old May 1st 2004, 8:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go, Rete!
and Jim!

Congrats on your accomplishment(s) with this event - you are a star!
Old May 2nd 2004, 12:36 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: This Old Gal Still Has It In Her

Great! I ran Race for the Cure a few years ago in DC. It took 15 minutes
after the start of the race to cross the start line so I know what you mean
about 37000 people!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Jim and I just completed our fifth year as participants in the Revlon
    > Run/Walk for Women's Cancer in New York City. We did the 5K in under an
    > hour (57 minutes and 39 seconds) shaving a full minute off of last
    > year's walk. It is difficult to walk fast when there are over 37,000
    > participants.
    > I raised $562 for the cause and Jim raised $463.
    > And
    > a special thank you to my newsgroup friends, Ranjini and LKish, for
    > their online contribution to this worthwhile cause in my name. I was
    > proud to take part in it again this year as a 13 year survivor of breast
    > cancer. I walked in honor of LKish's mother, Audrey Kish, who also had
    > breast cancer.
    > It is so sad to see fathers walking or pushing
    > carriages with their children and wearing signs on their backs stating
    > they are walking in memory of their wives who have died of cancer. Two
    > of the wives were 46 and 38.
    > Hats off though to the lovely senior
    > citizen, Ms. Salito, who at the age of 96 was walking the 5K with her
    > daugther, her granddaughter and her greatdaughter. The youngest was
    > pushing the wheelchair which Ms. Salito refused to sit in stating her
    > legs still worked.
    > I'm hoping that when the Revlon Run/Walk comes to
    > Chicago and Los Angeles in the next few months, there will be a
    > representative or two from the forum for this good cause.
    > My prayer
    > is that no one here ever has to deal with or experience this disease in
    > themselves or someone they love.
    > Rete
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2004, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Millana is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete
I lost my mother 4 years ago through breast cancer. I witnessed her battle before finally giving in to it. She was not only a great mother to me & my siblings, a good wife to my father but also my very loyal bestfriend. When I got into college, I chose not to get a boarding school, rather I spent 4 years going to and from the University commuting 4 hours everyday, because at the end of each day, I wanted to be with her, have dinner with her every night ( she is the best when it comes to native asian cooking).

I was already working and starting a career with a prestigeous company when she was diagnosed to have breast cancer. I whole heartedly left my job because I wanted to take care of her. For me, I could get jobs anytime I want, but no amount of career achievents can replace her. She had devoted her life to us and I wanted to give her back the same level of devotion and care while I still can. I woud gave up anything for her.

I know how it feels losing someone you love with the desease. I would love to participate next year in NYC.

Thank you Rete.

(Just typing this message gives me lump on my throat)
Old May 2nd 2004, 3:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Millana ....A touching reminder that we only we only get the one Mum and we do often take them for granted..but we should cherish their time with us...
Old May 2nd 2004, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know that next Sunday will be difficult for you Millana. I also know that you carry with you the love of your mother and her love for you. Mother's Day will be bittersweet but how wonderful to know that your short time with you mother in life was filled with caring, respect and an abundance of love.

Mark the first Saturday in May, 2005 for the next Revlon Run/Walk in NYC. They will start promoting it online in March.

Rete

Originally posted by Millana
I lost my mother 4 years ago through breast cancer. I witnessed her battle before finally giving in to it. She was not only a great mother to me & my siblings, a good wife to my father but also my very loyal bestfriend. When I got into college, I chose not to get a boarding school, rather I spent 4 years going to and from the University commuting 4 hours everyday, because at the end of each day, I wanted to be with her, have dinner with her every night ( she is the best when it comes to native asian cooking).

I was already working and starting a career with a prestigeous company when she was diagnosed to have breast cancer. I whole heartedly left my job because I wanted to take care of her. For me, I could get jobs anytime I want, but no amount of career achievents can replace her. She had devoted her life to us and I wanted to give her back the same level of devotion and care while I still can. I woud gave up anything for her.

I know how it feels losing someone you love with the desease. I would love to participate next year in NYC.

Thank you Rete.

(Just typing this message gives me lump on my throat)
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point

That´s great Rete!!!

I am very lucky to say that my mother has survived having breast cancer. She´s been cancer free now for 3 years and every year our family (about 15 of us) participate in the "Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure"

I am very lucky to be able to wear a sign on my back saying " In celebration of my mother" It´s so sad to see so many people wearing signs that say "In memory of..."

It´s such an emotional walk for me and my whole family. I thank god for giving my mother the strength to have gotten through chemo/radiation.

Again, congratulations on your timing and on raising the money. I´m glad that year after year people are becoming more active in participating in race/walks. Hopefully one day we will finally find a cure for breast cancer and won´t have to fear this deadly disease anymore.

Here is a link for anyone interested in participating in a Race for the Cure.

www.komen.org

Lily,
Old May 4th 2004, 12:25 am
LKish

Rita and Jim,

Congrats guys on a job well done.

We so enjoyed brunch yesterday (next time it's our turn). I have to say thank
you once again for the picture. I gave it to my mother this morning and she was
so touched. Chris and I are defintely going to walk with you next year!

By the way - record time home 58 minutes!!!