Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

ot: info required for opening bank account

ot: info required for opening bank account

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

hi all,

i'd like to open a bank account in seattle whilst there at the end of march. i'd be grateful if you could point me towards a website which shows, or briefly summarise, the papers and id required to do this. i'm assuming proof of address (if so, how would i get this considering my fiance is currently the renter and bill payer?) and social security number (which i already have).

any replies would be appreciated.

kate (uk) and aaron (us)
Old Mar 2nd 2001, 4:03 pm
Michael Voight

DO you have a driver's license? It might be useful to get a Driver's License or state
issued identification card.

There isn't really a web site of requirements. It varies by bank.

Michael

misskate wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 4:11 pm
Deby Mullen

You would have to check with the bank to be sure, but many banks require a photo id,
drivers license or state issued id. We had to wait until Gary passed his test before we
could open any joint accounts.

WE explained the situation to the bank before Gary had his photo id, and they would have
none of it. I think it's very likely that you have to wait until you have a drivers
license or state issued id card.

Deby and Gary

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, misskate wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 4:52 pm
Rita

Again this advice is subjective. Every bank has their own policies and guidelines. For our
bank the photo id was not a requirement. Nor was a social security number although we had
one. For photo id there is no reason why you should not be able to use a passport unless,
of course, is not photo id that they want but proof that you live in the state.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

thanks everyone. let's hope they'll accept a passport id else i'd better start those driving lessons...<g>
Old Mar 2nd 2001, 10:56 pm
sine nomine

Deby Mullen wrote:

>
    >
    >

chris opened an account with washington mutual in seattle using his passport and
australian license as id. he had the i-551 stamp, though i don't know if they wanted to
see it, and he knew his ssn though i don't think he'd gotten the card yet. i know he
didn't have any sort of washington state id or license.

it really is a good idea to check with individual banks in seattle and find out what
they'll want from you.

--
    >

Old Mar 2nd 2001, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

I think it probably has a lot to do with how much money you're going to deposit aswell.

We opened an account with First Union before I had my SSN or driving license. I had to show my UK passport and headed notepaper from my employer. We only had $2,500 to deposit - and that didn't stay in there very long!
Old Mar 3rd 2001, 6:05 am
Diane M

I contacted Bank of America's customer service to ask about Eddie opening an account when
he visits in April. He'll be driving across the country, and it will be easier with an
ATM/Visa than with traveler's checks. I was quite clear that he isn't a U.S. resident.
They said he didn't need anything except proof of ID (he has a passport). I'll let you
know if it works out that way after we actually go in and try.

Diane M.

Rita wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >