passed (broadly, it breaks illegals into 3 catagories .. >5 yrs, 2-5yrs,
<2yrs) ....

I'll like opinions on 2 items

(1) How would you rate its chances of passing in its current form? ---- care
to shoot in the dark?

(2) If it does pass how long until illegals can actually start the process
to take advantage of it -- ?

I'm figuring 11 million new people calling lawyers, USCIS offices and
helplines will add some load to the processing and impact times/workloads.

-F

Old Apr 7th 2006, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

lovenlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT?: Impact of new immigration legislation

Originally Posted by Frank
In terms of this new legislation they is being proposed and appears might be
<2yrs) ....

to shoot in the dark?

-F

1 Hopefully a snowballs chance in hell, but this is Washington DC after all. Congress want the 11 million potential votes, and cheap labor for their contributors.

2. Immediately

What gets me is I have heard little or nothing as of yet how this bill will address:

A) Legal Immigrants already in the queue. How will this impact the 100’s of 1000’s already paid up and waiting
B) USCIS/ICE Staffing, funding. You can’t just dump 11 million into the system as it stands today.
C) Social Services. I would suspect that a large increase on claims once said “immigrants” receive status, what will be the increased cost and staffing. How will the states cope with this.
D) Employer enforcement and penalties. How will they enforce (seeing they haven’t to date) that only “legals” are employed. How stiff will the penalties be.
E) The flood of family based petitions from these new “citizens”, refer back to item B above.
F) Wages. With the new class of LPR’s and citizens, do you think that these new immigrants in the system will stand for the lower wages they were accustom to, and pay taxes? Hmm, I don’t know.
G) Guest workers from other lands. With the increase in guest worker visas, I would suspect we would be seeing lower wage workers coming from places like China and India in the near future, not that this is a bad thing.
H) New illegal aliens. How will we stem the flood of future illegal aliens seeing we just give them amnesty from time to time, they’ll keep coming.

Not only is this a slap in the face to all legal immigrants here now, and waiting to come here, it only rewards those that broke the laws of the system. Nothing seems to be gained, but rather lost, to the countless legal immigrants, as they will still be afforded the same if not worse treatment from the service.

My 2 bits
Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frank
In terms of this new legislation they is being proposed and appears might be
<2yrs) ....

to shoot in the dark?

-F
Hi:

1. Who knows? I'm not really looking until I see the phrase "...gone to the President for signature." or some such. Historically, most substantive immigration legislation tends to come out in final form at the end of the legislative session in an election year.

2. Historically, changes in benefits take place either six months from enactment or at the beginning of the next fiscal year [October 1st].
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

lovenlife is an unknown quantity at this point

First try shot down 39-60
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they not still processing some applications from the last Amnesty?

I think 11m would be on the low side, apparently last time they estimated 1m applications and got 3m.

The usually rule of thumb is that each new 'legal' generates 3 family based petitions.

Good times ahead to be an Immigration Lawyer?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:49 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I think 11m would be on the low side, apparently last time they estimated 1m applications and got 3m.

The usually rule of thumb is that each new 'legal' generates 3 family based petitions.

The processing times are slow as it is, what's gonna happen?, how are we going to afford this?.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
The processing times are slow as it is, what's gonna happen?, how are we going to afford this?.
The muti million dollar/person question.

No idea.

But then I would bet a lot of money, if it was not illegal where I live to do so, that no US Politician has either.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But then I would bet a lot of money, if it was not illegal where I live to do so, that no US Politician has either.

hahahaha!

Covering your N-400 butt, I see.
Good man.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:04 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

hahahaha!

Good man.
Hahaha
Old Apr 7th 2006, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna

hahahaha!

Good man.
Moi...

Well you never know who reads these boards.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:24 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe. When the last "amnesty" came out, I had 1 client that came to me to get in on that (and it was especially difficult to document for reasons I won't go into here). Actually, more of a friend of my Uncle and Aunt up in Oregon. I think I charged her around $600.00 to do that work and be responsible for the case.

The I-130 will probably remain pending for another 15 to 20 years, and "then" when its approved (and if she's still alive) she can file the I-485A supplement (And I'm responsible for the case for all the years to come).

Yeah, I'm rolling in dough over that one.

Edit: Oh, and I read a discussion between some AILA attorneys about the new legislation that may or may not come about, and one of them commented that he didn't take on any of the last amnesty cases. He felt it was not fair to the rest of his clients who had played by the rules, and for those still patiently waiting outside of the U.S. for their priority dates to come up. But I guess he's the exception as you all know that all immigration attorneys are basically evil SOB's who only care about money, right?

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 8th 2006 at 12:27 am.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Maybe. When the last "amnesty" came out, I had 1 client that came to me to get in on that (and it was especially difficult to document for reasons I won't go into here). Actually, more of a friend of my Uncle and Aunt up in Oregon. I think I charged her around $600.00 to do that work and be responsible for the case.

The I-130 will probably remain pending for another 15 to 20 years, and "then" when its approved (and if she's still alive) she can file the I-485A supplement (And I'm responsible for the case for all the years to come).

Yeah, I'm rolling in dough over that one.

Edit: Oh, and I read a discussion between some AILA attorneys about the new legislation that may or may not come about, and one of them commented that he didn't take on any of the last amnesty cases. He felt it was not fair to the rest of his clients who had played by the rules, and for those still patiently waiting outside of the U.S. for their priority dates to come up. But I guess he's the exception as you all know that all immigration attorneys are basically evil SOB's who only care about money, right?
Hi:

Completed an adjustment today at 300 North Los Angeles for a USC married to an Aussie. The Aussie made the complaint it wasn't fair for "illegals" to get an advantage over people like him who used the law to get here. I said I would play Devil's Advocate -- he had made a implied promise to leave at the end of his H-1b employment and he overstayed until he met and married his wife. He had made an implied promise to leave and then broke it -- while the "EWI's" never made that deal in the first place. What is worse? -- breaking a promise or simply not playing the game in the first place?

I mentioned this to a DAO I've known for some time -- and he found it amusing and commented "Whatever, we'll both still be here dealing with what they throw at us." I really like that DAO.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:19 am
Donutello

In article <[email protected]> ,
Folinskyinla <member4043@british_expats.com> wrote:

> > Maybe. When the last "amnesty" came out, I had 1 client that came to
    > > me to get in on that (and it was especially difficult to document for
    > > reasons I won't go into here). Actually, more of a friend of my Uncle
    > > and Aunt up in Oregon. I think I charged her around $600.00 to do that
    > > work and be responsible for the case.
    > >
    > > The I-130 will probably remain pending for another 15 to 20 years, and
    > > "then" when its approved (and if she's still alive) she can file the
    > > I-485A supplement (And I'm responsible for the case for all the years
    > > to come).
    > >
    > > Yeah, I'm rolling in dough over that one.
    > >
    > > Edit: Oh, and I read a discussion between some AILA attorneys about
    > > the new legislation that may or may not come about, and one of them
    > > commented that he didn't take on any of the last amnesty cases. He
    > > felt it was not fair to the rest of his clients who had played by the
    > > rules, and for those still patiently waiting outside of the U.S. for
    > > their priority dates to come up. But I guess he's the exception as you
    > > all know that all immigration attorneys are basically evil SOB's who
    > > only care about money, right?
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > Completed an adjustment today at 300 North Los Angeles for a USC married
    > to an Aussie. The Aussie made the complaint it wasn't fair for
    > "illegals" to get an advantage over people like him who used the law to
    > get here. I said I would play Devil's Advocate -- he had made a implied
    > promise to leave at the end of his H-1b employment and he overstayed
    > until he met and married his wife. He had made an implied promise to
    > leave and then broke it -- while the "EWI's" never made that deal in the
    > first place. What is worse? -- breaking a promise or simply not playing
    > the game in the first place?
    >
    > I mentioned this to a DAO I've known for some time -- and he found it
    > amusing and commented "Whatever, we'll both still be here dealing with
    > what they throw at us." I really like that DAO.

Are you discussing your cases with ..actually, anyone!? That is a big
No, No...in most of the books I read. Now, you've always come across as
a pompous and egoistical old bastard, but now you are also gossiping
about your cases? You'd be the last lawyer I'd hire.

Do

Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
What is worse? -- breaking a promise or simply not playing the game in the first place?
Reminds me of the movie "War Games"... the computer finally understood that the only way to win, was to not play the game.

Ian
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donutello
Are you discussing your cases with ..actually, anyone!? That is a big No, No...in most of the books I read.
The attorney/client priviledge protects the client. If you can determine, from what is written here, who that client is... then you might have a point. If not, shut up and don't be an ass! Have a nice day!

Ian