Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: From Immigration to the Kitchen

OT: From Immigration to the Kitchen

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: From Immigration to the Kitchen

Originally Posted by MMA2002
ok, i have no cooking ability at all but i will try your chicken - now tell someone really stupid how to make sour cream mashed potatoes! (i think i could handle corn on the cob! lol!)

LOL Okay here goes

Peel, cube and boil your potatoes. When cooked (fork tender) drain the water and mash the potatoes with butter. When completely mashed, add sour cream and stir well. I use 1/2 a pint of sour cream for about 2-1/2 to 3 lbs of potatoes. You can add chopped chives if you wish at this point as well.

Another well liked variation of mashed potatoes in this family is to sautee finely chopped onion in butter until the onions are tender and lightly browned and then add these to the mashed potatoes along with shredded or very thinly sliced American and/or cheddar cheese to taste. Be sure the potatoes are hot so that the cheese melts and is evenly distributed through out the mixture.

With any of the above there is no need for gravy as they are flavorful enough to stand alone although with the sour cream ones without chives gravy can be used. We do ;-)
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

MMA2002 will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much...we've only been in our house 3 weeks but it seems between holidays, my mom making dinner at their house, and our houseguests wanting to go out, I haven't made anything in our new kitchen! Wish HIM luck because I'm the bad cook and he'll have to eat what I cook! :-) Thanks for the recipes - anything else that sounds interesting send my way!
Allison
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I never did get you that moose recipe, did I, Rete...

Elaine
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
I never did get you that moose recipe, did I, Rete...

Elaine

Nope, Elaine, you failed to pass it on ;-) But Jim said something about making into a moose stew? All I know is that it is a moose roast in my freeze and if you were old enough to remember the alfred hitchcock series the one episode where the wife killed the husband by hitting him with a frozen leg of lamb and then cooking it before the police arrived, then I might do the same with this "roast"

:-)
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Nope, Elaine, you failed to pass it on ;-) But Jim said something about making into a moose stew? All I know is that it is a moose roast in my freeze and if you were old enough to remember the alfred hitchcock series the one episode where the wife killed the husband by hitting him with a frozen leg of lamb and then cooking it before the police arrived, then I might do the same with this "roast"

:-)
Or, scrumpy had another recipe for it here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274592